On Sunday 18 January 2009 22:20:30 CityK wrote:
> Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > On Sunday 18 January 2009 19:10:16 CityK wrote:
> >
> >> merging Hans' code eliminates the usability of Mike's "hack/workaround"
> >> ... in essence, analog TV
> >> function has now been completely killed with these boards.
> >>

> > I've made a new tree http://linuxtv.org/hg/~hverkuil/v4l-dvb-kworld/
> > that calls 'enables the tuner' before loading the module. See if that
> > works.

> > I suspect that this might fix the bug.
>
> Hans,
>
> Between the time of my last message and now, your title has made a turn
> for the better.  I proclaim that you are no longer "Hans-the-Destroyer",
> rather you should be upheld as "Hans-the-Enabler" !!

:-)

> In other words, it works !!  (across reboots etc etc).
>
> The output of dmesg is interesting (two times tuner simple initiating):
>
> > saa7130/34: v4l2 driver version 0.2.14 loaded
> > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:09.0[A] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
> > saa7133[0]: found at 0000:00:09.0, rev: 240, irq: 19, latency: 32,
> > mmio: 0xfa021000
> > saa7133[0]: subsystem: 17de:7350, board: Kworld ATSC110/115
> > [card=90,autodetected]
> > saa7133[0]: board init: gpio is 100
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 00: de 17 50 73 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 10: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 20: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 30: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 40: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 50: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 60: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 70: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 80: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 90: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom a0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom b0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom c0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom d0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom e0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom f0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
> > tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (saa7133[0])
> > tuner-simple 1-0061: creating new instance
> > tuner-simple 1-0061: type set to 68 (Philips TUV1236D ATSC/NTSC dual in)
> > saa7133[0]: registered device video0 [v4l2]
> > saa7133[0]: registered device vbi0
> > ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [ALKC] enabled at IRQ 22
> > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:11.5[C] -> Link [ALKC] -> GSI 22 (level,
> > low) -> IRQ 22
> > PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:11.5 to 64
> > dvb_init() allocating 1 frontend
> > nxt200x: NXT2004 Detected
> > tuner-simple 1-0061: attaching existing instance
> > tuner-simple 1-0061: type set to 68 (Philips TUV1236D ATSC/NTSC dual in)
> > DVB: registering new adapter (saa7133[0])
> > DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Nextwave NXT200X VSB/QAM
> > frontend)...
> > nxt2004: Waiting for firmware upload (dvb-fe-nxt2004.fw)...
> > nxt2004: Waiting for firmware upload(2)...
> > nxt2004: Firmware upload complete

Shouldn't there be a tda9887 as well? It's what the card config says, but
I'm not sure whether that is correct.

> Would you like to see the results of after enabling 12c_scan to see what
> is going on, or is this the behaviour you expected?

It seems to be OK, although I find it a bit peculiar that the tuner type
is set twice. Or does that have to do with it being a hybrid tuner, perhaps?

> Some Other Miscellanea:
> 1) Before this gets merged, can I ask you to also make one small change
> to tuner-simple; specifically, swap the contents of lines 301 and 304.
> This will change the driver's default behaviour in regards to the
> selection of which RF input to use for digital cable and digital
> over-the-air.  Currently, the driver is set to use digital OTA on the
> top RF input and digital cable on the lower RF input spigot.  However,
> IMO, a more logical/convenient configuration is to have the digital
> cable input be handled by the top RF input spigot, as this is the same
> one that the analog cable is also drawn from by default. Mike had made
> this change, on my request, previously, but it appears that it got
> reverted after the tuner re-factoring.

I'm not going to merge this, it's just a quick hack for this card. This
is something for Mike or Hermann to fix. Someone with a better knowledge
of this driver and these tuners should review the saa7134_board_init2()
function and move the opening of tuner gate/muxes to a separate function.

> Note:  users have reported different default configurations in the past
> (e.g. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Kworld_ATSC_110), but I actually doubt
> that there has been any manufacturing difference with the TUV1236D.
> Rather, I suspect that the user experiences being reported are just
> reflecting a combination of the different states of how our driver
> behaved in the past and differences in driver version that they may have
> been using (i.e. that version provided by/within their distro or by our
> Hg).  After all, this configuration setting has gone from being handled
> by saa7134-dvb.c to dvb-pll.c to tuner-simple.c, with changes in the
> behaviour implemented along the way.
>
> 2) This is likely related to the discussion about the gate -- after
> closing the analog TV app, the audio from the last channel being viewed
> can still be heard if one turns up the volume on their system.  This
> leakage has always been present.  But given that we are addressing this
> issue now, it strikes me that the gate is being kept open on the audio
> line after application closing/release occurs.
>
> 3) there is an issue about having two of these cards in the same system
> --- IIRC, only one card will get /dev/video .... Mauro touched upon this
> very briefly in one of the earlier messages; recall:
>
> Mauro wrote:
> > This generated lots of issues in the past, like machines with two boards
> > doesn't work anymore. With two boards, and a tuner module, the first board
> > probes tuner after opening the demod gateway. However, the second board will
> > try to probe tuner before opening the i2c gateway. So, tuner is not found.
>
> Now, I can't test for this myself, but I do know of several users on
> AVSforums who have two such cards and can test if that issue is now
> resolved .... do you suspect that the changes you have implemented to
> date will have eliminated this bug too?

That should have been fixed as well now that the automatic probing has
been removed.

Hopefully the work I did on saa7134 can be ported to other drivers as well,
since this clearly fixes a lot of tricky bugs.