On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Jonathan Johnson <johns...@matc.edu> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My vote is YES, why haven't we done this already??
>
> My understanding is that we are just drop old kernel support and retaining
> the vast majority of the drivers.
> If anyone tallied the total number CVE listed vulernabilites and other
> problems fixed since then they would probably be shocked.
> Unless for some reason your hardware is so old that it does support 2.6.28.7,
> this is the version you should run.
>
> Later,
> Jonathan

> Please reply to this poll if you haven't done so yet. I only count clear
> yes/no answers, so if you replied earlier to this in order to discuss a
> point then I haven't counted that.
>
> Currently it's 16 yes and 2 no votes, but I'd really like to see some more
> input. I want to post the final results on Sunday.
>
> Regards,
>
>        Hans
>
> On Sunday 22 February 2009 11:15:01 you wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There are lot's of discussions, but it can be hard sometimes to actually
>> determine someone's opinion.
>>
>> So here is a quick poll, please reply either to the list or directly to
>> me with your yes/no answer and (optional but welcome) a short explanation
>> to your standpoint. It doesn't matter if you are a user or developer, I'd
>> like to see your opinion regardless.
>>
>> Please DO NOT reply to the replies, I'll summarize the results in a
>> week's time and then we can discuss it further.
>>
>> Should we drop support for kernels <2.6.22 in our v4l-dvb repository?
>>
>> _: Yes
>> _: No

don't care

>> Optional question:
>>
>> Why:

analog TV didn't work for me anyway < 2.6.18 not sure if it got fixed up
timers are horribly modified within 2.6.18 - now, something that
worked back then might not work properly anymore now.
remote control support has a horrible bug, I reported something a half
year ago..
although the solution I use to provide is to move the frontend and
configuration layer to userland and only having the data transfer API
in the kernel (this includes v4l2 - latest API and the entire dvb core
API).
http://mcentral.de/wiki/index.php5/DVBConfigFramework it's infront of
the API access and the applications make use of it using LD_PRELOAD.
Customers mostly use to compile the em28xx driver from mcentral.de
against the currently installed drivers which come with the native
kernel, or I use to deliver binaries. Now the DVB config framework
makes use of usbfs (similar like libusbfs) in my case and also works
on OSX with exactly the same drivers.

Markus