Hello Theodore

kilg...@banach.math.auburn.edu wrote:

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
As to the actual contents of the header, as you describe things,

0. Do you have any idea how to account for the discrepancy between

 From usb snoop.
FF FF 00 FF 96 64 xx 00 xx xx xx xx xx xx 00 00
and
In Linux the header looks like this:

FF FF 00 FF 96 64 xx 00 xx xx xx xx xx xx F0 00

(I am referring to the 00 00 as opposed to F0 00)? Or could this have happened somehow just because these were not two identical sessions?

Doesn't remember what the differences was. The first is from Windoz (usbsnoop) and the second is from Linux.

1. xx: don't know but value is changing between 0x00 to 0x07

as I said, this signifies the image format, qua compression algorithm in use, or if 00 then no compression.

On the PAC207, the compression can be controlled with a register called "Compression Balance size". So, I guess, depending on the value set in the register this value in the header will show what compression level is set.

2. xx: this is the actual pixel clock

So there is a control setting for this?

Yes, in the PAC207, register 2. (12 MHz divided by the value set).

3. xx: this is changing according light conditions from 0x03 (dark) to
0xfc (bright) (center)
4. xx: this is changing according light conditions from 0x03 (dark) to
0xfc (bright) (edge)
5. xx: set value "Digital Gain of Red"
6. xx: set value "Digital Gain of Green"
7. xx: set value "Digital Gain of Blue"

Does anyone have any idea of how actually to use this information/ for example, since a lot of cameras are reporting some kind of similar looking information, does anyone know if there are any kinds of standard scales for these entries? Just what are they supposed to signify, and how exactly is one supposed to use such values, if they have been presented? When I say "a lot of cameras," understand, I mean still cameras as well as webcams, and cameras with a lot of different chipsets in them, too. So this is a question whether there is any standard system for the presentation of such data, and how it might constructively be used in image processing. I have had questions about this kind of thing for a long time, and I do not know where to look for the answers.

For the brightness, I guess, 0 means dark and 0xff completely bright (sensor is in saturation)?

Thomas