by which I am referring to the cameras with ID 0x093a:0x010e :

At first it seemed to me that these cameras were using a different compression algorithm, because the current code in gspca/mr97310a.c failed to produce viewable frames while streaming, only junk.

However, the above seems not to be true. I finally got an old Win2k box going again, installed the driver, and got a sniff of the initialization sequence. It is quite different from the one which is in use for the larger cameras. But only the initialization is different, not the compression.

At this point I can definitely say that replacement of the initialization sequence in the existing sd_start() function in gspca/mr97310a.c by the initialization sequence which I got from the sniff log seems to make the test camera to run just fine.

What is still left to do is to see what comes out of the Elta camera which you (Thomas) are supposed to receive in the mail. For, interestingly, not all of these cameras seem to be doing the same thing. I have tested at least two others, on the Win2k machine, and they do not stream at all. Or, rather, they will go through the motions but the entire streaming activity, according to the log file, is to send repetitions of the SOF marker and frame header until one gets tired and quits. It may be that the init sequence for those two cameras is still a different one, and I do not have the old driver CDs because I thought they all have to be identical. Or perhaps they were never intended to stream.

In any event, one of the cameras is working now, an Innovage Mini Digital Camera. The Philips Digital Keychain camera will not stream, and neither will the Vivitar Mini. Since the Vivitar Mini does not support compression of still photos at all, it may be that it simply does not have the firmware to do the compression. The Philips camera, however, is a surprise.

I look forward with anticipation to learn what the initialization sequence is from the Elta camera, since we already have testimony that it will do streaming.

Then I guess I get busy rewriting the mr97310a.c code so that it will support the two different kinds of cameras ...

Thomas, sorry that we do not have a world to conquer in regard to a decompression algorithm. But it seems that this time we do not.

Theodore Kilgore