> > If you don't encode with PAL/M, then some TV sets won't work. Also, even
> > on TV sets that supports multiple standards, sometimes we need to
> > disable autodetection of NTSC, because this is broken on some TV sets.
> > I've personally experienced this trouble with two TV sets, including a
> > brand-new LCD1080p TV set I bought this year. On some conditions, if you
> > let auto NTSC/PAL-M enabled, it miss-detects the color carrier, and
> > changes to the other standard (missing the colors) for some seconds, and
> > then returns back. So, you have moments with colors and moments without.
> >
> > It should also be noticed that there are several devices (TV sets, DVD
> > players, etc) manufactured abroad that people assumes that PAL/M color
> > carrier is equal to NTSC (AFAIK, the same occurs with PAL/Nc). Since the
> > color carriers are somewhat different, this produces a very annoying
> > effect: the color image will present a static image as a image with
> > colors moving, since there will be a frequency shift between the
> > horizontal frequency rate and the pixel sampling rate (that are derived
> > from the color carrier on several decoders), causing color detection
> > misleading at the pixels. So, the pixels at the boundary of a shape have
> > their colors oscillating.
>
> Very interesting. I honestly thought that all TVs everywhere (except
> perhaps very old ones) would be able to handle 'standard' PAL or NTSC on
> their Composite and S-Video inputs.

The difference between an NTSC-M system and PAL-M system is very slight:

http://www.pembers.freeserve.co.uk/World-TV-Standards/Transmission-Systems.html

since the 'M' determines most of the parameters.  The color burst on the
CVBS would be the only difference.  I can see how color burst could be
detected wrong on CVBS.  I'm not sure how the chroma baseband signal in
S-Video would get messed up though.

Regards,
Andy