On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Guennadi
Liakhovetski<g.liakhovet...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:

Let me guess, your coworker is a hardware designer? Letting hardware
people do hardware design is usually a good idea, but I'm yet to see
good software written by hardware people. =)

>> > I'd say this is different. You're talking about cases where you _want_ to
>> > be able to configure it explicitly, I am saying you do not have to _force_
>> > all to do this. Now, this selection only makes sense if both are
>> > configurable, right? In this case, e.g., pxa270 driver does support
>> > platform-specified preference. So, if both the host and the client can
>> > configure either polarity in the software you _can_ still specify the
>> > preferred one in platform data and it will be used.
>> >
>> > I think, the ability to specify inverters and the preferred polarity
>> > should cover all possible cases.
>>
>> In my opinion you should always want to set this explicitly. This is not
>> something you want to leave to chance. Say you autoconfigure this. Now
>> someone either changes the autoconf algorithm, or a previously undocumented
>> register was discovered for the i2c device and it can suddenly configure the
>> polarity of some signal that was previously thought to be fixed, or something
>> else happens causing a different polarity to be negotiated.
>
> TBH, the argumentation like "someone changes the autoconf algorithm" or
> "previously undocumented register is discovered" doesn't convince me. In
> any case, I am adding authors, maintainers and major contributors to
> various soc-camera host drivers to CC and asking them to express their
> opinion on this matter. I will not add anything else here to avoid any
> "unfair competition":-) they will have to go a couple emails back in this
> thread to better understand what is being discussed here.

I think automatic negotiation is a good thing if it is implemented correctly.

Actually, i think modelling software after hardware is a good thing
and from that perspective the soc_camera was (and still is) a very
good fit for our on-chip SoC. Apart from host/sensor separation, the
main benefits in my mind are autonegotiation and separate
configuration for camera sensor, capture interface and board.

I don't mind doing the same outside soc_camera, and I agree with Hans
that in some cases it's nice to hard code and skip the "magic"
negotiation. I'm however pretty sure the soc_camera allows hard coding
though, so in that case you get the best of two worlds.

Cheers,

/ magnus