Hi!

Daniel lined out already what the technical differences are.
In fact nothing what the normal user of this very good DVB cards needs.
The Octopus NET has its own distribution provided by DD. So there is no need
to support this in the mainline Kernel at this time.

Also the modulator is something which might be used in central stations at
hotels, but not by the arbitrary user in the public. I guess this stations are
also equipped with the drivers from DD or even provided as a whole system by
this company. I also see no reason to support the modulator card *now*, when we
are in a stage where we need to put in nearly 7 years of improvements of the
DD driver into the Kernel. Yes, we are talking about nearly 7 years!

And there is another thing. The very old driver V 0.5.0 currently existing in
mainline, does not support the DD CI cards, which are an essential addon for
all users in Austria, Switzerland, ... . Without this CI cards it is
*impossible* to see the official TV program! This countries scramble the TS
stream to restrict the access to citizens.
Without bumping the ddbridge to V 0.9.29, we all living in this countries can't
use the Kernel driver, but only the DD version! Sticking to the DD version
means, we can't use other cards in parallel, because the DD version simply
doesn't support to use any other driver together with the DD cards, due to the
API changes and the currently used old DVB core.

In my opinion nearly nobody is using the current mainline driver, due to it's
limitations and the fact, that the DD version provides all the features we
need. So merging the new version will not harm anyone, but help to prevent
using self compiled incompatible drivers.

In my opinion it should have been DD's task to keep the DD version in sync
with mainline. Moreover they should have needed to upstream their changes
in the past in little steps. Instead they changed the API and made it more or
less impossible to merge it without a lot of effort!

As Daniel already mentioned, he spent 1,5 years to understand the driver, to
make it compatible to the Mainline DVB core, to provide patches, to test the
result, to get other people involved to test the new drivers, ... .
When this is not merged *now*, I guess we will lose *the* person who made it
happen! There were other people who tried it, but didn't have the endurance
and energy to meet the target.
Daniel will definitely continue working on this subject to keep the DD
version in sync with the mainline version, even if there are some things still
different.

We are very close to the target and making it now a stopper for the mentioned
little things is the worst thing we can do!

Beside all this organisational issue, I had the chance to use this driver for
a couple of days on my test system:
  DD Cine V 6.5 with a
  DD Duoflex CI (single) and a
  DD Duoflex S2 V4 tuner card
  VDR 2.3.8, ddci2 Plugin 1.5.0

And the productive system:
  DD Octopus CI (dual) with a
  DD Duoflex S2 tuner card
  VDR 2.2.0, ddci2 Plugin 1.5.0

I had no issues, beside small problems with my CAM on the productive system,
which I also had with the upstream DD driver. I am already debugging them, but
need support from Ralph concerning FPGA registers and maybe more. This problem
has nothing to do with the new drivers, so it is no stopper for merging it into
mainline.

With this eMail I add my
  Tested-by: Jasmin Jessich <jas...@anw.at>
for this whole series.

Finally I want to thank Daniel for his effort and I adjure Mauro to merge
this now!

BR,
   Jasmin