On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mche...@infradead.org> wrote:
> Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
>> <mche...@infradead.org> wrote:
>>> We shouldn't write API's thinking on some specific use case or aplication.
>>> If there's a problem with zap, the fix should be there, not at the kernel.
>>
>> Your response suggests I must have poorly described the problem.  Zap
>> is just one example where having an "inconsistent" view of the various
>> performance counters is easily visible.  If you're trying to write
>> something like an application to control antenna orientation, the fact
>> that you cannot ask for a single view of all counters can be a real
>> problem.  Having to make separate ioctl calls for each field can cause
>> real problems here.
>>
>> I disagree strongly with your assertion that we should not considering
>> specific use cases when writing an API.
>
> That's not what I've said (or maybe I haven't said it clear enough).
> I'm saying that we shouldn't look for one particular use case only.
> In other words, the API should cover all use cases that makes sense.
>
>>In this case, Manu's
>> approach provides the ability to get a single consistent view of all
>> the counters (for those drivers which can support it)
>
> No. To get all counters, you'll need to call 3 ioctls. The status were
> grouped around 3 groups of counters on his proposal. I'm sure Manu has some
> explanation why he thinks that 3 is better then 2 or 4 calls, but the point
> is: should we really group them on a fixed way?
>
> Btw, by using S2API, we'll break it into different commands. Yet, we can
> call all of them at once, if needed, as the API defines it as:
>
> struct dtv_property {
>        __u32 cmd;
>        __u32 reserved[3];
>        union {
>                __u32 data;
>                struct {
>                        __u8 data[32];
>                        __u32 len;
>                        __u32 reserved1[3];
>                        void *reserved2;
>                } buffer;
>        } u;
>        int result;
> } __attribute__ ((packed));
>
> struct dtv_properties {
>        __u32 num;
>        struct dtv_property *props;
> };
>
> #define FE_SET_PROPERTY            _IOW('o', 82, struct dtv_properties)
> #define FE_GET_PROPERTY            _IOR('o', 83, struct dtv_properties)
>
> So, all needed commands can be grouped together to provide an atomic read.
>
>>> Also, the above mentioned problem can happen even if there's just one API
>>> call from userspace to kernel or if the driver needs to do separate,
>>> serialized calls to firmware (or a serialized calculus) to get the
>>> three measures.
>>
>> True, the accuracy in which a given driver can provide accurate data
>> is tied to the quality of the hardware implementation.  However, for
> [...]

If this is an argument about whether to do it with s2api or the older
ioctl interface, I definitely do not have any objection to doing it
with s2api.  All the applications I care about have been ported over,
so the incremental cost of using the new call is minimal, and perhaps
having some reliable quality indicators will prompt some of the
applications that haven't ported to s2api to finally cut over.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com