On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 12:14 -0800, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 03:04:30PM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> Didn't Jon posted his example whith programmable remote pretending to be
> several separate remotes (depending on the mode of operation) so that
> several devices/applications can be controlled without interfering with
> each other?

There are a few features that can be used to distinguish remotes:

1. Carrier freq
2. Protocol (NEC, Sony, JVC, RC-5...)
3. Protocol variant (NEC original, NEC with extended addresses,
                     RC-5, RC-5 with exteneded commands,
                     RC-6 Mode 0, RC-6 Mode 6B, ...)
4. System # or Address sent by the remote (16 bits max, I think)
5. Set of possible Commands or Information words sent from the remote.
6. Pulse width deviation from standard (mean, variance)

1, 5, and 6 are really a sort of "fingerprint" and likely not worth the
effort, even if you have hardware that can measure things with some
accuracy.

Regards,
Andy