On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 01:56:34PM -0700, Steve Longerbeam wrote:

> > > If you think that is the correct behavior, I will remove the override
> > > code. I suppose it makes sense to allow user to select field order even
> > > if that order does not make sense given the input standard. I'm fine
> > > either way, Philipp what is your opinion? I'll go with the popular vote :)
> > I think it should be up to the user.
> > Actually, PAL and NTSC aren't valid names in the digital world. Their
> > meaning ends in the ADV7180 (or equivalent). I don't know if PAL and/or
> > NTSC specify the field order in the analog frame (meaningful when
> > someone hooks a camera with progressive sensor and analog, interlaced
> > output), but the digital YUV422 from ADV to CSI isn't NTSC/PAL anymore.
> > It's just WxH @ framerate + possible interlacing, sequential fields,
> > top-bottom or otherwise, etc. The analog standard names could be used
> > here but just as defaults.
> >
> > If we were strict (and we don't want to force it), then we should set
> > NTSC/PAL thing on ADV7180 input, 720x480@29.97i (or 720x576@50i, or
> > 704x... etc) on the input parts of the CSI/IPU (where there are no video
> > frames yet), and 720x480@29.97i B-T or T-B (or default, or separate
> > fields - whatever suits the user) on the output from CSI.
> >
> > I remember the reversed field order was sometimes needed - for example,
> > PAL DV (the casette camcorder thing) produced B-T frames (same as NTSC),
> > and to avoid (slight) additional quality loss one had to process it
> > (up to e.g. .MP4, DVD, and then to HDMI, SCART etc) as B-T.
> > It wasn't a problem in otherwise-PAL-centric environment.
>
> I tend to agree, I've found conflicting info out there regarding
> PAL vs. NTSC field order. And I've never liked having to guess
> at input analog standard based on input # lines. I will go ahead
> and remove the field order override code.

Note that the code in ipu_csi_init_interface currently hard-codes field
order depending on frame size. It could be that selecting opposite field
order is as easy as switching the relevant parts of writes to registers
CCIR_CODE_2 and _3, but we'd have to pass the desired output field order
to this function. I'd welcome if somebody would verify that this works.

regards
Philipp