Hi,

On Wed, 2018-08-15 at 09:57 -0400, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> Le lundi 06 août 2018 à 10:16 +0200, Paul Kocialkowski a écrit :
> > Hi Hans and all,
> >
> > On Sat, 2018-08-04 at 15:50 +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > While the Request API patch series addresses all the core API issues,
> > > there
> > > are some high-level considerations as well:
> > >
> > > 1) How can the application tell that the Request API is supported and for
> > >    which buffer types (capture/output) and pixel formats?
> > >
> > > 2) How can the application tell if the Request API is required as opposed
> > > to being
> > >    optional?
> > >
> > > 3) Some controls may be required in each request, how to let userspace
> > > know this?
> > >    Is it even necessary to inform userspace?
> > >
> > > 4) (For bonus points): How to let the application know which streaming
> > > I/O modes
> > >    are available? That's never been possible before, but it would be very
> > > nice
> > >    indeed if that's made explicit.
> >
> > Thanks for bringing up these considerations and questions, which perhaps
> > cover the last missing bits for streamlined use of the request API by
> > userspace. I would suggest another item, related to 3):
> >
> > 5) How can applications tell whether the driver supports a specific
> > codec profile/level, not only for encoding but also for decoding? It's
> > common for low-end embedded hardware to not support the most advanced
> > profiles (e.g. H264 high profile).
>
> Hi Paul, after some discussion with Philip, he sent a proposal patch
> that enables profile/level extended CID support to decoders too. The
> control is made read-only, the point is not really the CID get/set but
> that the controls allow enumerating the supported values. This seems
> quite straightforward and easy to use.
>
> This enumeration is already provided this way some of the existing
> sate-full encoders.

Sounds great, thanks for looking into it! I looked for the patch in the
list, but couldn't find it off-hand. Do you have a link to it? I would
like to bind it to the Cedrus VPU driver eventually.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
Embedded Linux and kernel engineering