Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM, David Henig <dhhe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks, I appear to have the headers and no longer have to do the symlink,
>> but still getting the same error - any help gratefully received, or do I
>> need to get a vanilla kernel?
>
> Open up the file v4l/.config and change the line for firedtv from "=m"
> to "=n".  Then run "make".
>
> This is a known packaging bug in Ubuntu's kernel headers.

This issue is specific to Ubuntu. With Fedora and with upstream kernels,
everything compiles fine.

Maybe the better is if one of you that use Ubuntu to write a patch checking for
the affected Ubuntu versions, and automatically disabling the compilation
of this module, or doing some changes on compat.h to properly compile it.

All it is needed is to patch one of some of those files:
        v4l/scripts/make_kconfig.pl             (for the logic to disable it on
Ubuntu)
        /v4l/compat.h                           (if is there some compat stuff
that can be added)
        /v4l/scripts/make_config_compat.pl      (for a most sophisticated logic
based on some script)

After having the patch done, just submit it to Douglas.

Cheers,
Mauro