On Mon, 2019-09-09 at 16:07 +0900, Tomasz Figa wrote:
> Hi Ezequiel,
>
> On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 3:17 AM Ezequiel Garcia <ezequ...@collabora.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This series enables the post-processor support available
> > on the Hantro G1 VPU. The post-processor block can be
> > pipelined with the decoder hardware, allowing to perform
> > operations such as color conversion, scaling, rotation,
> > cropping, among others.
> >
> > The decoder hardware needs its own set of NV12 buffers
> > (the native decoder format), and the post-processor is the
> > owner of the CAPTURE buffers. This allows the application
> > get processed (scaled, converted, etc) buffers, completely
> > transparently.
> >
> > This feature is implemented by exposing other CAPTURE pixel
> > formats to the application (ENUM_FMT). When the application
> > sets a pixel format other than NV12, the driver will enable
> > and use the post-processor transparently.
>
> I'll try to review the series a bit later, but a general comment here
> is that the userspace wouldn't have a way to distinguish between the
> native and post-processed formats. I'm pretty much sure that
> post-processing at least imposes some power penalty, so it would be
> good if the userspace could avoid it if unnecessary.

Hm, that's true, good catch.

So, it would be desirable to retain the current behavior of allowing
the application to just set a different pixel format and get
a post-processed frame, transparently.

But at the same time, it would be nice if the application is somehow
aware of the post-processing happening. Maybe we can expose a more
accurate media controller topology, have applications enable
the post-processing pipeline explicitly.

Thanks for the feedback,
Ezequiel