Hi Adam,

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 11:14:03AM -0500, Adam Ford wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 4:17 PM Sakari Ailus <sakari.ai...@iki.fi> wrote:

> >> From what I can tell, it looks like the output of the resizer is only
> >> capable of two formats,
> >> from ispresizer.c:
> >>
> >>      /* resizer pixel formats */
> >>      static const unsigned int resizer_formats[] = {
> >>      MEDIA_BUS_FMT_UYVY8_1X16,
> >>      MEDIA_BUS_FMT_YUYV8_1X16,
> >>      };
> >>
> >> Also:
> >>
> >>  * resizer_try_format - Handle try format by pad subdev method
> >>  * @res   : ISP resizer device
> >>  * @cfg: V4L2 subdev pad configuration
> >>  * @pad   : pad num
> >>  * @fmt   : pointer to v4l2 format structure
> >>  * @which : wanted subdev format
> >>
> >> switch (pad) {
> >> case RESZ_PAD_SINK:
> >>      if (fmt->code != MEDIA_BUS_FMT_YUYV8_1X16 &&
> >>          fmt->code != MEDIA_BUS_FMT_UYVY8_1X16)
> >>               fmt->code = MEDIA_BUS_FMT_YUYV8_1X16;
> >>
> >> So it looks to me like if we're trying to do anything other than
> >> either of those,we set it to MEDIA_BUS_FMT_YUYV8_1X16
> >>
> >> Am I missing something?
> >
> > I guess for this particular video node there's no need for V4L2 extensions
> > to implement ENUM_FMT. Ideally the other nodes would support ENUM_FMT that
> > could provide meaningful information as well.
>
> I applied a variation of the patch in question, and I was able to both
> successfully use g-streamer-1.0 and I was able to see UYVY appear in
> the list.  in fact, G-Streamer-1.0 was faster than FFPEG with less
> lag.
>
> ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT
>         Type: Video Capture
>
>         [0]: 'UYVY' (UYVY 4:2:2)
>         [1]: 'RGB3' (RGB3, emulated)
>         [2]: 'BGR3' (BGR3, emulated)
>         [3]: 'YU12' (YU12, emulated)
>         [4]: 'YV12' (YV12, emulated)
>
> I don't know enough about VL2.  It looks like all the V4L stuff is in
> the common isp files and not unique to the preview output, resizer
> output or the CCDC output.  I don't have a CSI camera, so I cannot
> test anything.
>
> I checked all the video outputs, and they are all showing the same
> information.  I realize the patch I found won't be accepted upstream
> as-is, but it would be nice to have some mechanism in place that can
> determine which output node is being used and somehow return the
> correct data for each node.
>
> I would like to do something to help improve this driver and/or make
> it more compatible with some of the V4L tools (like G-Streamer), so if
> someone has a recommendation on how we could move forward, I'm willing
> work on it.

While I'm not totally opposed to implementing VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT for the
resizer video node, I'm not sure it would be the best solution to your
problem. Sure, it will fix an existing issue, but we already know that
it won't scale, as the other video nodes can't be supported the same
way.

So far, our position was mostly that userspace should grow support for
MC-based devices where VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT isn't implemented. Maybe I'm
relaxing my standards because I'm growing older and wiser (or possibly
just older and lazier :-)), but we need a better solution than this in
any case. Compared to the last time I made this statement, we now have
one possible solution in view in the form of libcamera ([1]). The
project is still young, doesn't support the OMAP3 ISP, and isn't
integrated with GStreamer, but fixing all that is on our roadmap.

What I would like to know is whether libcamera would fit your use cases,
or if you have needs that would require a different solution.

[1] https://www.libcamera.org/

Laurent Pinchart