On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 12:39 PM Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinch...@ideasonboard.com> wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 07:26:20PM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> > > While I'm not totally opposed to implementing VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT for the
> > > resizer video node, I'm not sure it would be the best solution to your
> > > problem. Sure, it will fix an existing issue, but we already know that
> > > it won't scale, as the other video nodes can't be supported the same
> > > way.
> > >
> > > So far, our position was mostly that userspace should grow support for
> > > MC-based devices where VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT isn't implemented. Maybe I'm
> >
> > Well, I disagree: implementing G/S/TRY_FMT without ENUM_FMT is out-of-spec.
> > The v4l2-compliance utility would flunk any driver that tries that.
> > Unfortunately, v4l2-compliance didn't exist (or was in its infancy) when
> > omap3isp was written.
>
> We've never agreed :-)

I am not trying to start a fight.  :-)

> > I didn't even know that ENUM_FMT wasn't implemented for the omap3 ISP.
> >
> > It makes no sense either: the driver is smart enough to validate the
> > pixelformat, but not smart enough to be able to enumerate the list of
> > valid formats for the current pipeline configuration?
>
> That's not the problem, the issue is that for MC-enabled drivers subdevs
> and video nodes are configured in isolation of each other. You thus
> can't enumerate formats on a video node *for the current pipeline
> configuration* as there's no such thing, we have no global "test"
> pipeline configuration. Enumerating formats for the active configuration
> is possible, but that will confuse userspace even more, as most
> applications enumerate formats first and then decide how to configure
> the device based on what is supported.

After the media-ctl commands issue the pipeline requests, the 2nd
command I issue defines the various formats for each stage, ccdc,
previewer, resizer, etc.  In the case I am doing, we're defining
"OMAP3 ISP resizer":1 [UYVY 480x272]'.  In my case, this is being
setup a subdev4, but the output of the OMAP3 Resizer is routed to
/dev/video6.  Is not some way to set a flag in whatever driver is
configuring /dev/video6 that it's going to be UYVY so when video6 is
queried that it returns the current state?

I realize I may be over simplifying it.

adam