Am Samstag, den 13.02.2010, 10:56 +0100 schrieb Francesco Lavra:
> On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 22:26 +0100, Chicken Shack wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > my way to say "Thank you".
> > Just enjoy this tiny little program with the latest kernel.
> > Debian files for producing a Debian binary included.
> > This version needs libzvbi as dependency to run.
> > Thanks to Tom Zoerne for the implemention patch that I found by
> > accident.
> >

> > Cheers
> > CS
> >
> > P. S.: There are two issues in the TODO list.
> > Please drop me a note if you can fix those issues mentioned there.
> >
> > ENJOY!
>
> What about adding this program to v4l-dvb (under v4l2-apps/util/)?
> AFAIK, alevt currently doesn't have a proper site where development
> could take place.
> I think it would enjoy a better maintenance if it was hosted in vl4-dvb,
> and it could be an additional testing tool useful for drivers
> development.
> And it is GPL-licensed.
>
> Francesco

Hi Francesco,

I wish your point of view were right. But it isn't at all.

There are a couple of reasons for that:

1. As long as there is not at least one person doing the necessary DVB
maintenance sponsored by some industry there will never be a significant
change at all.
The roots of the DVB project were a company called Convergence media in
Cologne, Germany. When this company broke down, the relevant persons
vanished one by one leaving behind their heritage.
For details ask the administrator of linuxtv.org, Johannes Stezenbach.

2. Right now the personnel of the DVB development appears and vanishes
whenever they want to. It's completely absurd to build up a kernel
branch nearly only on volunteers, but that's the way it is.
Even Linus Torvalds does not see that there should be a change:
Do everything to win skilled ans sponsored people for the work to be
done.

3. I do not trust in the capabilities of the man who is maintaining the
actual dvb-apps. His mouth is too big, his thoughts are malicious very
often, his experience level is rather low, and his capabilities aren't
even mediocre.
And worst of all: exaggerated egoism instead of real partnership work,
real team work, same problem as with Mauro Carvalho Chehab.

Applying for a job these people wouldn't even pass at least one
so-called assessment test (which is checking out the human skills).
But there seem to be places in the world where this kind of tests aren't
mandatory at all.

Basic rule: Centralization itself does not resolve any problem at all.
You need qualified people and, as a minimum adequate demand, at least
one sponsored person if the job is not only a "fun bringer" but at least
in significant parts a rather "unthankful" one.

DVB development at linuxtv.org has been a stepchild for more than 5
years now.
All the former significant people have vanished.

As long as this continues we're on our own: It's us picking up the
issues, it's us to investigate etc.
We cannot continue to delegate issues in the traditional paternalistic
spirit - at least not with these people.

To get back to the program:

I still do not comprehend why alevt-dvb hangs when the transponder is
changed.
I've found out that if you start it without any commandline parameters
it does the following:

a. read and parse the PAT
b. read and parse the SDT
c. read and parse the PMT

It will always start reading the videotext of the program with the first
found (i. e. the lowest) PMT.

2 effects out of its standard behaviour:

1. When you change the channel within the current transponder the
program takes a short break and then comes back continuing to read the
same PMT. It will not follow the external player doing the tuning to the
new channel.

2. When you change the channel AND change the transponder the program
will hang and will only get finished by _killall_.

The task is to change that behaviour. alevt-dvb should follow the new
channel. In mtt (by Gerd Hoffmann @ bytesex.org - xawtv-4.0 pre) a
module called dvb-monitor does that job.

Cheers

CS