Hi,

On 03/12/2010 08:10 PM, Chicken Shack wrote:
1. Alevt 1.7.0 is not just another tool, but it is instead a
self-contained videotext application consisting of three parts:
a. alevt, b. alevt-date c. alevt-cap

While the packed size of alevt is 78770 the complete size of the
dvb-apps as a whole ranges around 350000.

I am not against hosting this program at linuxtv.org, but if this
decision is made the decision should be an intelligent one: alevt is a
separate tree, and any other choice is simply a dumb one.
Alevt-1.7.0 needs a lot of external dependencies, while the dvb-apps
only need the libc6.

Seems we agree here, becoming a new upstream for alevt is good, merging
it into another package is not good :)

2. Xawtv-4.0 pre is not usable as a whole. Thus you cannot treat it as a
whole. And that's exactly why you cannot discuss it as a whole!

Actually when I was talking about doing a tree to collect distro packages
and serve as a new upstream for xawtv I was talking about xawtv version
3.95, is that the same as which you call xawtv-4.0 pre ?

The usable parts are:

a. mtt: a slave videotext application which is running independently
from the master application tuning the channels.
Its packed size amounts to 107744.

b. dvbrowse: a slave EPG application which is running independently from
the master application tuning the channels.
Packed Size: 101267.

c. dvbradio: a fast and rather stable running application for watching
DVB radio streams.
Packed Size: 119957.
Problem: dvbradio would need investigation to understand channel lists
in vdr channels.conf format.
As long as this is not the case, the insane slow homebrew scanner called
alexplore is necessary to produce a channels list.
Gerd implied some vdr modules into thew package, but they are
ca. unfinished work
cb. for debug purposes only

The unusable parts are:

a. xawtv itself, the main program.
It never ran stable and it is unfinished work.
Its graphical capabilities are pure rubbish compared to todays
standards.

??

Its UI is not a brilliant piece of work but it is usable and certainly
is stable. Actually it still is my preffered app for tvcard testing / usage.

b. Lots of aged tools like scantv or radio who just have survived
somehow but weren't modified.

If these are really useless we could certainly drop them, as we could
drop say v4l-ctl once we've got rid of the last v4l1 drivers.