On 04/06/10 15:32, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Hans Verkuil wrote:
>>>
>>> It would be more intuitive if you group the classes with a few subdirs:
>>>
>>> /video/balance
>>> /video/brightness
>>> /mpeg_audio/crc
>>> /mpeg_audio/mute
>>> /audio/volume
>>> /audio/bass
>>> /audio/treble
>>
>> 1) We don't have that information.
>> 2) It would make a simple scheme suddenly a lot more complicated (see
>> Andy's comments)
>> 3) The main interface is always the application's GUI through ioctls, not
>> sysfs.
>> 4) Remember that ivtv has an unusually large number of controls. Most
>> drivers will just have the usual audio and video controls, perhaps 10 at
>> most.
>
> Ok.
>
>> I think we should just ditch this for the first implementation of the
>> control framework. It can always be added later, but once added it is
>> *much* harder to remove again. It's a nice proof-of-concept, though :-)
>
> I like the concept, especially if we can get rid of other similar sysfs
> interfaces
> that got added on a few drivers (pvrusb2 and some non-gspca drivers have
> it, for sure). I think I saw some of the gspca patches also touching on sysfs.
> Having this unified into a common interface is a bonus.

Obviously it adds to the review burden, but perhaps we can state that the sysfs
interface is only an additional option (and personally I think I'd find it
pretty
helpful for debugging if nothing else) and that all functionality there MUST be
available through the normal routes?  If any functionality only supported via
sysfs is seen as a bug, then we can point it out in reviews etc.

I agree with Mauro that it would be really handy to unify any interfaces that
are
going to turn up there anyway.

Generally I'm personally in favor with the convenience of sysfs interfaces for
quick
and dirty debugging purposes but perhaps this isn't the time to do it here.