On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, Hans Verkuil wrote:

   [...]

> Perhaps we should just not do this in sysfs at all but in debugfs? We have a
> lot more freedom there. No requirement of one-value-per-file, and if we need
> to we can change things in the future. It would actually be easier to issue
> ioctl commands to a driver from debugfs since we have a proper struct file
> there.
>
> It could be implemented as a separate module that can be loaded if debugfs is
> enabled and suddenly you have all this extra debug functionality.
>
> I admit, I would really enjoy writing something like this. I just don't want
> to do this in sysfs as that makes it too 'official' so to speak. In other
> words,
> mainline applications should not use sysfs, but home-grown scripts are free to
> use it as far as I am concerned.
>
> How much of a problem would that be for you, Mike? On the one hand users have
> to mount debugfs, but on the other hand it will be consistent for all drivers
> that use the control framework. And you should be able to ditch a substantial
> amount of code :-)

Adding a debugfs interface that can be used by all V4L drivers is
obviously a concept I would not have any problem with.

However that does not necessarily mean that I would agree with eventual
removal of the pvrusb2 driver's existing sysfs interface.  That would
depend on whether or not doing such a thing loses functionality and what
the driver's user community would think about it.

  -Mike

--

Mike Isely
isely @ isely (dot) net