On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 11:26 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Hi David,
>

> I won't comment every single bits of the change, since we're more interested
> on the conceptual
> aspects.
>
> > -int ir_raw_event_store(struct input_dev *input_dev, enum raw_event_type
> > type)
>
> Don't remove the raw_event_store. It is needed by the hardware that gets
> events from
> IRQ/polling. For sure another interface is needed, for the cases where the
> hardware pass their
> own time measure, like cx18
> (http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx23885-ir2/rev/2cfef53b95a2).
>
> For those, we need something like:
>
> int ir_raw_event_time_store(struct input_dev *input_dev, enum raw_event_type
> type, u32 nsecs)
>
> Where, instead of using ktime_get_ts(), it will use the timing provided by
> the hardware.

Just to clarify what Conexant hardware, and my current driver for it, is
capable of:

1. It provides raw pulse (and space) width measurements.

2. Those measurements can have very high resoltuion (~37 ns IIRC) or
very low resolution (usec or msec IIRC) depending on how the hardware
clock dividers are set up.

3. The hardware provides a timeout when the measurment timer overflows,
meaning that no edge happened for a very long time.  This generates a
special "overflow" measurment value and a receiver timeout interrupt.

4. The hardware has an 8 measurement deep FIFO, which the driver starts
to drain whenever it is half full (i.e. pulse measurement data is
delayed).  This happens in response to a hardware FIFO service request
interrupt.

5. The hardware FIFO is drained by the driver whenever an interrupt is
received and the available measruement data is placed into a kfifo().
This will then signal a work handler that it has work to do.

6. Measurements are scaled to standard time units (i.e. ns) by the
driver when they are read out of the kfifo() by a work handler.  (No
sense in doing time conversions in an interrupt handler).

7. The work handler then begins passing whatever measurements it has,
one at a time, over to a pulse stream decoder.

8. If the pulse stream decoder actually decodes something, it is passed
over to the input subsystem.

I suspect this device's behavior is much closer to what the MCE-USB
device does, than the raw GPIO handlers, but I don't really know the
MCE-USB.

Regards,
Andy