Hi Charles

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Charles D. Krebs wrote:

> Guennadi,
>
> Thank you for the response and explanation.  It falls perfectly in line with
> what we had been suspecting on our end.
>
> We ended up basing the driver off "mt9t112.c", which is an I2C camera.  The
> major issues have been figuring out how to remove the I2C components.
>
> The driver (attached for reference) currently registers a device under
> "/sys/bus/platform/drivers/testcam".  However, udev does not populate a
> "video0" entry under "/dev", so it seems the V4L2 registration wasn't done
> correctly.

All my comments will base on the current kernel, so, if you prefer to stay
with an older one, they will not be (entirely) applicable.

> I'm fairly sure the problem falls under "testcam_probe" or
> "testcam_module_init".
>
> Since we are not I2C, should we call "platform_driver_register" from
> "testcam_module_init"?
>
> Do we need to fill out a link structure from the SOC Camera driver
> (soc_camera_link)?  I noticed that this is used in all the I2C cameras.

As I see, your driver is just a dummy, that only specifies camera's
capabilities. That's also ok, you certainly can make a driver for a
completely fixed-parameter camera, but then a few methods from your driver
should either disappear, or return an "unsupported" error, or return the
fixed configuration of the sensor (like s_fmt, try_fmt). Please, have a
look at drivers/media/video/soc_camera_platform.c, that's an example of an
soc-camera client driver, not using i2c. I'm not sure if it's working
presently, it's use kind of discouraged, but you can certainly use it as
an example. If you don't plan to mainline your driver, you can even
actually use soc_camera_platform.c, then you'll just need to add some
platform data for it (see arch/sh/boards/mach-ap325rxa/setup.c and struct
soc_camera_link camera_link in it for an example). You might have to fix
that driver slightly, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks
Guennadi

> Unfortunately, I still need to figure out how to best integrate with the
> sh_mobile_ceu_camera driver since I am mid migration from 2.6.31-rc7 to
> 2.6.33.  It appears that quite a lot has changed...  The Kernel change has
> spawned a plethora of issues, which has unfortunately delayed development on
> this driver until now.
>
> Thanks for your input!
>
> Charles Krebs, Embedded Solutions Developer
> The Realtime Group

---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
http://www.open-technology.de/