On 6 May 2010, at 20:14, Paul Shepherd wrote:
[snip]
I downloaded version from tevii.com and it worked for me on laptop
running win 7.  Had problems with HD on an XP machine but I assumed it
was because the video card was old/slow.
that seems a fair test. you've got to know that the device itself's working first

[snip]

I tried on Ubuntu 9.10 but had problems which I documented here on 16
april. Loading the firmware worked fine but there were problems with
remote control messages being logged continually as well as stability
problems. The card would tune (with scan) and worked with mythtv (for a
day or so)
I get this output, too. I think that it's debugging code that's been left in. I'd guess that the driver polls the device periodically and spits out the results. If that's right, then you can remove the messages from dmesg and /var/log/messages by commenting out the relevant info lines in the source (should be lines 1131, 1137 and 1155 of ./linux=tevii-ds3000/linux/drivers/media/dev/dvb-usb/dw2102.c). I think that line 84 implies that there was an intent for these messages to be debug rather than info, but I'm not familiar with the coding standards enough to fix that. I'd guess that the crash that you experienced comes from something else, but goodness knows what or how to debug it.

I believe that I need to load up the modules ds3000 and dvb-usb- dw2102,
+ add a rule to /etc/udev/rules.d and a script to /etc/udev/scripts.

I didn't touch rules.d
Since my initial post, I've tried a vanilla xubuntu 10.04, (at the suggestion of a member of the list who'd got it working with this build) which still only populates /dev/dvb/adapter0/{demux0 drv0 net0} and not frontend0. See below.
[snip]

Had no problem with Ubuntu recognising the device and the correct .fw
file being downloaded.

There are various versions of dw2102.c from tevii, etc. I think I tried
all of them. I did change the timeout on RC messages (dw2102.c?) which
helped but did not cure the problem.

Also tried the s2-liplianin library as well which seemed promising but
also did not cure the problem.

I'm less sure now about my conclusions about downloading the .fw. Certainly on xubuntu *something* is happening as I get a blue led flash on plugging in the tevii.
[snip]

didn't have the knowledge (or time) to decide if the problem was in
the firmware or the v4l drivers or perhaps some strange interaction with
my dvb-t usb box.

Exchanged some emails with tevii guys who had posted here however they
appear to take the view that if it works under windows then the device
is fine and offer no other solution.

In the end I bought a Nova S2 PCI card which works fine but would be
interested in trying to get the S660 working.

I don't have a pc that's big enough to take a pci card, and the hardware clearly works. However, to debug what's going wrong, there needs to be a repeatable test process, and a baseline system where the different failure modes can be tied down. That's why I set up the xubuntu system and used a .config file thats known to work. However, there's still other stuff to load on a vanilla box, including:
build-essentials
linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic
and possibly libncurses5-dev and a complete kernel source tree, although I've avoided this by reusing the .config file.

I'm still assuming that 'working' means that I can use dvbscan (which needs the frontend0 file, I think, although the reported error on xubuntu is different from mythbuntu and it just says "Failed to open frontend".

I'm afraid that in a situation like this, I don't know what I don't know. And I don't know what I can rely on or what success is. Not a great recipe for getting anything to do what you want.

I can understand tevii's point of view, but I need to get this working on Linux. I don't think that Tevii wrote the code and it is slightly modified from the mercurial code, so there needs to be some sort of merge back if and when it is ever made to work.
paul