On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 23:51 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Andy Walls <awa...@md.metrocast.net> wrote:

> As for the building your own kernel thing... I've been doing my work
> mainly on a pair of x86_64 systems, one a ThinkPad T61 running Fedora
> 13, and the other an HP xw4400 workstation running RHEL6. In both
> cases, I copied a distro kernel's, config file out of /boot/, and then
> ran make oldconfig over it and build straight from what's in my tree,
> which works well enough on both setups.

I pulled the config out of the kernel*.src.rpm after 'rpmbuild -bp' (I
only saw the configs in /boot after doing that :P ), and then ran 'make
oldconfig'.

The first time around I forgot to do a modules_install and the ext[234]
modules weren't in the initramfs.  That made it hard for the kernel to
read the /boot and / filesystems. ;)

After fixing that idiocy, it now hangs in early boot - just a blinking
cursor.  I'm speculating it is a problem with support for my old-ish ATI
Radeon Xpress 200 video chipset with a vanilla kernel.  I'll work it out
eventually.

> > I'll have time on Thursday night to try again.
>
> No rush yet, we've got a while before the merge window still.
> Christoph (Bartelmus) helped me out with a bunch of ioctl
> documentation this weekend, so I've got that to add to the tree, then
> I think I'll be prepared to resubmit the lirc bits. I'll shoot for
> doing that next weekend, and hopefully, that'll give you a chance to
> try 'em out before then and provide any necessary feedback/fixes/etc.
> (Not that we can't also just fix things up as needed post-merge). I'm
> still up in the air as to what I should work on next... So many lirc
> drivers left to port still... Maybe zilog, maybe streamzap... Maybe
> the MCE IR keyboard...

I've got a PVR-150 and HVR-1600 both with the Zilog Z8's on them.  If I
ever get my act together, I'll at least be able to test that and
integrate any changes into the ivtv & cx18 drivers.   I've recently seen
users having trouble on IRC, BTW.

Regards,
Andy