On Friday, September 10, 2010 09:38:44 Marek Szyprowski wrote:

> >> Yes, read() is not yet implemented. I guess it is not a feature that would
> >> be deprecated, right?
> >
> > Yes, there are no plans to deprecate it. Also, some devices like cx88 and
> > bttv
> > allows receiving simultaneous streams, one via mmap, and another via read().
> > This is used by some applications to allow recording video via
> > ffmpeg/mencoder
> > using read(), while the main application is displaying video using mmap.
>
> Well, in my opinion such devices should provide two separate /dev/videoX
> nodes rather than hacking with mmap and read access types.

1) It is in use so you can't just drop it.
2) The read() API is actually very useful for video devices that deal with
   compressed video streams. E.g. you can do things like 'cat /dev/video0
>foo.mpg'

It's been a long standing wish to convert the ivtv and cx18 drivers to videobuf,
but it's always been too complex. With a new vb2 implementation it may become
actually possible.