I'm working on the V4L2 DocBook spec and when reading through the "Device
Naming"
subsection of the "Opening and Closing Devices" section in the first chapter I
realized that it is really out of date. The text is in this file:

Documentation/DocBook/v4l/common.xml

With udev pretty much everything in that section is useless (and probably
confusing
for first-time readers).

I propose that we replace it with something short like this:

Device Naming

V4L2 drivers create one or more device nodes with major number 81 and a minor
number
between 0 and 255. Three types of devices can be created:

/dev/videoX     Used for video capture/output/overlay.
/dev/radioX     Used for radio and RDS tuning/modulating.
/dev/vbiX       Used for VBI capture and output.

Is there anything else that should be in here?

BTW, I'm working on editing the 'Related Devices', 'Multiple Opens' and
'Shared Data Streams' as well.