On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Sakari Ailus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Guennadi,

> > > Why would there be a different interface for controlling the flash in
> > > simple cases and more complex cases?
> >
> > Sorry, not sure what you mean. Do you mean different APIs when the flash
> > is controlled directly by the sensor and by an external controller? No, of
> > course we need one API, but you either issue those ioctl()s to the sensor
> > (sub)device, or to the dedicated flash (sub)device. If you mean my "minor
> > subset" above, then I was trying to say, that this is a basis, that has to
> > be extended, but not, that we will develop a new API for more complicated
> > cases.
>
> I think I misunderstood you originally, sorry. I should have properly read the
> RFC. :-)
>
> Your proposal of the flash mode is good, but what about software strobe (a
> little more on that below)?
>
> Also, what about making this a V4L2 control instead?

These are two things, I think: first we have to decide which functions we
need, second - how to implement them. Sure, controls are also a
possibility.

> The ADP1653 driver that
> Laurent referred to implements flash control using V4L2 controls only.
>
> A version of the driver is here:
>
> <URL:http://gitorious.org/omap3camera/mainline/commit/a41027c857dfcbc268cf8d1c7c7d0ab8b6abac92>
>
> It's not yet in mainline --- one reason for this is the lack of time to
> discuss a proper API for the flash. :-)

> > > Some sensors and webcams might have that, but newer camera solutions
> > > tend to contain a raw bayer sensor and and ISP. There is no concept of
> > > snapsnot mode in these sensors.
> >
> > Hm, I am not sure I understand, why sensors with DSPs in them should have
> > no notion of a snapshot mode. Do they have no strobe / trigger pins? And
> > no built in possibility to synchronize with a flash?
>
> I was referring to ISPs such as the OMAP 3 ISP. Some hardware have a flash
> strobe pin while some doesn't (such as the N900).

Of course, if no flash is present, you don't have to support it;)

> Still, even if the strobe pin is missing it should be possible to allow
> strobing the flash by using software strobe (usually an I2C message).
>
> I agree using a hardware strobe is much much better if it's available.

Again - don't understand. Above (i2c message) you're referring to the
sensor. But I don't think toggling the flash on per-frame basis from
software via the sensor makes much sense. That way you could also just
wire your flash to a GPIO. The main advantage of a sensor-controlled flash
is, that is toggles the flash automatically, synchronised with its image
read-out. You would, however, toggle the flash manually, if you just
wanted to turn it on permanently (torch-mode).

> > > I do not favour adding use case type of functionality to interfaces that
> > > do not necessarily need it. Would the concept of a snapshot be
> > > parametrisable on V4L2 level?
> >
> > I am open to this. I don't have a good idea of whether camera hosts have
> > to know about the snapshot mode or not. It's open for discussion.
>
> What functionality would the snapshot mode provide? Flash synchronisation?
> Something else?

Also pre-defined number of images, enabling of the trigger pin and trigger
i2c command. Just noticed - on mt9t031 and mt9v022 the snapshot mode also
enables externally controlled exposure...

> I have to admit I don't know of any hardware which would recognise a concept
> of "snapshot". Do you have a smart sensor which does this, for example? The
> only hardware support for the flash use I know of is the flash strobe signal.

Several Aptina / Micron sensors have such a mode, e.g., mt9p031, mt9t031,
mt9v022, mt9m001, also ov7725 from OmniVision (there it's called a "Single
frame" mode), and, I presume, many others. And no, those are not some
"smart" sensors, the ones from Aptina are pretty primitive Bayer /
monochrome cameras.

> Flash synchronisation is indeed an issue, and how to tell that a given frame
> has been exposed with flash. The use of flash is just one of the parameters
> which would be nice to connect to frames, though.

Hm, yes, that's something to think about too...

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.