2011/11/30 Abylay Ospan <aos...@netup.ru>:
> Hello,
>
> We have ported linuxtv's cx23885+CAM en50221+Diseq to Windows OS (Vista, XP,
> win7 tested). Results available under GPL and can be checkout from git
> repository:
> https://github.com/netup/netup-dvb-s2-ci-dual
>
> Binary builds (ready to install) available in build directory. Currently
> NetUP Dual DVB-S2 CI card supported (
> http://www.netup.tv/en-EN/dual_dvb-s2-ci_card.php ).
>
> Driver based on Microsoft BDA standard, but some features (DiSEqC, CI)
> supported by custom API, for more details see netup_bda_api.h file.
>
> Any comments, suggestions are welcome.
>
> --
> Abylai Ospan<aos...@netup.ru>
> NetUP Inc.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a legally ambigious grey area?
Seems like this could be a violation of the GPL as the driver code in
question links against a proprietary kernel.

I don't want to start a flame war, but I don't see how this is legal.
And you could definitely question whether it goes against the
intentions of the original authors to see their GPL driver code being
used in non-free operating systems.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs