>> Speaking as the maintainer and copyright owner I can say that it would
>> have been nice if someone had contacted me privately re the matter,
>> before hand. Not to assert any legal right, not for any approval,
>> simply as a courtesy and a perhaps a small 'Thank You'. NetUp could
>> have happily had my personal blessing on their project.
>
> you could have said thank you for porting the driver as well: The port
> enlarges the user base, is likely to uncover bugs and you might even
> receive fixes to those bugs for free (unless the ranting goes on).

I care not for a windows port, it's of no interest to me. I'm sure
NetUp Windows customers will find it useful.

>> My first concern is that this only benefits NetUp on Windows, no other
>> company benefits on windows - as they all already have legal access to
>> the Conexant source reference driver.
>
> Are you implying that
> a) it's not the users who benefit most?
> b) other companies won't be able to use this driver?
> c) NetUp doesn't have legal access to the reference driver?

I was simply stating my opinion, it not a list of points I wish to
debate with you or anyone else. Please don't take this comment
personally. You are welcome to your own opinion and draw your own
conclusions on how I feel about the matter.

>> The Windows GPL driver
>> could/will evolve much faster than the Linux driver and that will suit
>> NetUp commercially and nobody else. Time will not be taken to
>> "backport" changes into the Linux driver and that's bad for the Linux
>> community. (Or, for commercial reasons, the backports will take longer
>> than expected)
>
> Why don't you do the backports yourself? You want NetUp to do the work
> for you? The code is published in a Git repository. You can easily track
> any changes.

Yes, I could, thanks to github.

>> My second concern is that NetUp have made it very simply for the
>> hundreds of no-name third party far-east companies (with zero
>> legitimate access to the Conexant windows source reference driver), to
>> take the windows driver, close source it, not distribute their changes
>> and compete against the few legitimate TVTuner companies left in the
>> world. If/when the one or two remaining TVTuner companies die because
>> their bread and butter Windows sales are being eroded to zero - how
>> does this help this community? It doesn't, it only helps NetUp.
>
> Any company doing that could use any existing binary driver as well.
> Besides that, I'm sure it's no problem for them to get access to any
> reference driver they want.

I think I respectfully disagree with you.

>> I embrace open source, I welcome new developers, debate and growth....
>> I just think if you are going to get my 18 year old daughter pregnant
>> then it's courtesy to knock on my door and introduce yourself first -
>> regardless of my opinion or your legal rights.
>
> A very compelling analogy.

Best wishes,

- Steve

--