Em 27-05-2012 15:47, Andy Walls escreveu:
> Hans Verkuil <hverk...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>> +++++++++++++++++++++++------------
>>>>

>>> The organization between DVB only, V4L only and hybrid devices are
>> somewhat
>>> confusing on our tree. From time to time, someone proposes changing
>> one driver
>>> from one place to another or complains that "his device is DVB only
>> but it is
>>> inside the V4L tree" (and other similar requests). This sometimes
>> happen because
>>> the same driver can support analog only, digital only or hybrid
>> devices.
>>>
>>> Also, one driver may start as a DVB only or as a V4L only and then
>>> it can be latter be converted into an hybrid driver.
>>>
>>> So, the better is to rearrange the drivers tree, in order to fix this
>> issue,
>>> removing them from /video and /dvb, and storing them on a better
>> place.
>>>
>>> So, my proposal is to move all radio, analog TV, digital TV, webcams
>> and grabber
>>> bridge drivers to this arrangement:
>>>
>>> drivers/media/isa - ISA drivers
>>> drivers/media/usb - USB drivers
>>> drivers/media/pci - PCI/PCIe drivers
>>> drivers/media/platform - platform drivers
>>
>> drivers/media/parport
>> drivers/media/i2c
>>
>> Also, if we do this then I would really like to separate the sub-device
>> drivers
>>from the main drivers. I find it very messy that those are mixed.
>>
>> So: drivers/media/subdevs
>>
>> We might subdivide /subdevs even further (sensors, encoders, decoders,
>> etc.) but
>> I am not sure if that is worthwhile.
>>
>> Frankly, the current directory structure (other than the lack of a
>> subdevs
>> directory) doesn't bother me. But your proposal is a bit cleaner.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>      Hans
>>

>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Mauro
>>>
>>> -
>>>
>>> PS.: for now, I don't intend to touch at I2C/ancillary drivers. We
>> may latter move
>>> the i2c drivers that aren't frontend/tuners to media/i2c or to
>> media/common.
>>> --
>> in
>> the body of a message to majord...@vger.kernel.org
>
> Also
>
> cx2341x and tveeprom

cx2341x is a sub-device module. So, it can go to drivers/media/subdevs
(ok, it has other problems, but solving them is not as simple as moving
things from one place to the other - so let's not mix it here).

The case of tveeprom is different, because it is not really a sub-device.

Btw, this file is bad named - it should be called hauppauge-eeprom or
something like that. Yet, I wouldn't move it out of drivers/media/video
(or at least on this first step).

There are other similar cases. for example, btcx-risc is a common module
used by both cx88 and bttv drivers to handle the RISC processor that
exists on both. This is not a sub-device, so it won't fit on the above
structure. .

Maybe we can create a drivers/media/v4l2-core and move everything that
belongs to the core into it, and the things that won't fit elsewhere
can be moved into drivers/media/common.

I would also move tuner, dvb-core and frontend to an upper level:

So, in summary, the final structure would be:

drivers/media
        /common         - drivers that are "common" to several ones, like
tveeprom and btcx-risc
        /dvb-core       - what is already at dvb/dvb-core
        /frontends      - what is already at dvb/frontends
        /isa            - all ISA drivers
        /parport        - all parallel port drivers
        /pci            - all PCI/PCIe drivers
        /platform       - all platform drivers
        /subdevice      - all sub-device drivers
        /tuner          - what's currently at common/tuners
        /usb            - all USB drivers
        /v4l2-core      - V4L2 core

After doing that, the Kconfig options at isa, parport, pci, platform and usb
can be optimized further, based on the media support "filters":

<m>  Multimedia support  --->
    [ ]   Webcams and video grabbers support
    [ ]   Analog TV support
    [ ]   Digital TV support
    [ ]   AM/FM radio receivers/transmitters support
    [ ]   Remote Controller support

Comments?

Mauro