Em 13-08-2012 12:49, Hans Verkuil escreveu:
> On Mon August 13 2012 16:46:45 Steven Toth wrote:
>> Hans,
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback.
>>
>> Oh dear. I don't think you're going to like my response, but I think
>> we know each other well enough to realize that neither of us are
>> trying to antagonize or upset either other. We're simply stating our
>> positions. Please read on.
>
> I didn't think you'd like my response either :-)

You probably won't like my answer too, yet I'm also simply
stating my positions.

>>> I went through this driver from a high-level point of view, and I'm afraid I
>>> have quite a number of issues with this driver.
>>>
>>> One of the bigger ones is that vc8x0-ad7441.c should be implemented as
>>> a subdevice. I have two other AD drivers in my queue (adv7604 and ad9389b),
>>> so you can look at those for comparison.
>>>
>>> See: http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg51501.html
>>
>> Oh, I understand how to write video decoder drivers. I just chose
>> specifically not to do it. This was intensional on my part. If when
>> another card comes along with an ad7441 when they are welcome to split
>> the code and/or create the subdevs. It's extra engineering today that
>> does't improve the support for the 820 card and doesn't benefit any
>> other known product. It's a feature that's exclusive to the 820.
>> Future developers are welcome to fork, slice and/or copy the code.
>> Today, the driver is tuned exactly for the card, it works very nicely
>> for end users and the code is easy to read, simple to debug and relies
>> on only a handful of v4l2 framework apis.
>
> The problem is that it is very hard, if not impossible, to split something
> up after the fact. There are almost no drivers left that still have an
> integral i2c driver as opposed to a separate i2c driver. I only know of
> a few old ones and at least one in staging (not counting reverse
> engineered drivers such as in gspca where there is no choice).
>
> The main advantage is that it is much easier to extend the functionality
> of your driver, particularly for devices with a lot of functionality like
> those ADV drivers.

Agreed. I also noticed that the I2C code there is currently
highly-coupled with the bridge one. For example, you're setting the DV
timings via a direct call to vc8x0_ad7441_set_format(), which is a
method of the I2C ad7441 driver (with, btw, is not an independent driver,
but it is part of the same driver).

We only allow such kind of designs as a temporary measure, for drivers
under drivers/staging/media, where the developer is going to fix them
in order to fully use the V4L core, as highly coupled designs like that
are really hard to review, as the interactions between the drivers
aren't at the usual/expected places.

>> Today, the driver is tuned exactly for the card, it works very nicely
>> for end users and the code is easy to read, simple to debug and relies
>> on only a handful of v4l2 framework apis.

It looks easy to read for you, not for me, and likely not for the
others:

 21 files changed, 15580 insertions(+)

A 15000+ lines driver is not easy to read/understand. Having it highly
coupled and not using the core API's, but using something else makes
even harder to understand it.

>> The subdev framework (in my opinion) has become
>> unwieldily and difficult to debug, based on my recent experience
>> dealing with some cx23885 issues. I'm intensionally trying not to use
>> it.
>
> In what respect does the subdev framework make debugging hard? I'd like to
> know about it so we can try and improve it.
>
> The subdev framework was made to make reuse possible. If everyone refuses
> to use it, then we're back to the bad old times where you get 20
> almost-but-not-quite identical i2c driver implementations.

>> I should be clear, my comments are not mean to antagonize or inflame,
>> I'm simply pointing out that when at all possible I chose not to use
>> the subdev framework because if it's delays and difficulties when it
>> comes to debugging.
>>
>> When did the subdev framework become a mandatory requirement for any
>> driver merge?

This was always a requirement: complex drivers should be broken into
per-component drivers, in order to make easier to review and to re-use
the code. Even the drivers at Kernel 2.5.x followed that idea, and
we're working hard to simplify drivers code by making them modular
and loosely coupled.

With modular, loosely coupled drivers, a complex logic is broken into
smaller and easier to understand logic.

> It is certainly highly recommended, and in my opinion there should be
> very good reasons for not doing it. In the end it is Mauro who decides,
> although I personally would be in favor of mandating it. Not to pester
> people, but it is so much harder to split it up after the fact. Just like
> the fact that documentation is now required if a new API is added, because
> nobody ever writes documentation afterwards.

I agree. Of course exceptions might apply, if there are really very
good and well accepted reasons for not doing that.

>>> These Analog Devices chips are quite complex, and you really want to be able
>>> to reuse drivers.
>>
>> I am certainly more than willing to discuss re-use, when re-use make
>> sense. Right now we have no-practical re-use for this part to speak
>> of. The code is targeted towards the 820, in the use case that end
>> users need. If someone would like to build a ad7441 subdevice and use
>> that in their driver then they are welcome to the code. In practise,
>> sharing complex video decoders across driver designs leads to massive
>> regressions, as witnessed on the list this year.

Regressions happen even if no re-use is done: core, other parts of the
Kernel and userspace apps changes all the times, causing regressions.
That's called bitrotten[1].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rot

One good example is with regards to firmware loading: today's userspace
requirement is that firmware load can't happen during driver's probe.
All drivers that do that (almost all media drivers with firmware) are
broken (or only loads after timeout - 120 seconds?) with newer udev's,
even if you run an old kernel.

Side note: your Viewcast 0820E driver also suffers from request_firmware()
regression, as it doesn't use request_firmware_nowait() and tries to load
the firmware during device probe.

The only way to be sure that regressions aren't introduced is to run
a testbench on every new kernel release.

>> I am also aware that the cx25840 driver is complex, and the end result
>> was that driver maintainers effectively forked the cx25840 and brought
>> the codebase back into their core drivers (cx18 for example), to avoid
>> issues where regression testing was troublesome across so many cards.
>
> I don't think the cx18 ever used the cx25840 codebase: while the cx23418
> uses a similar IP as the cx25840 there were too many differences to allow
> us (actually, I think it was me who wrote it initially for the cx18) to
> reuse the cx25840.
>
> That's a general problem, BTW: reuse works well for the exact same chip.
> But when you get variants of the chip (or it gets integrated in another chip
> as an IP block), then at some point keeping track of those differences and
> preventing regressions becomes harder than it would be if they were done as
> separate drivers.
>
> Where that boundary is is not always clear, and for the cx25840 we probably
> exceeded it.

Agreed.

> [...]
>
>> If I had the time and/or energy, we'd do the same with the cx25840.
>> Keeping complex code close to the PCI/PCIe bridge bring big dividends
>> when debugging complex problems and mitigating issues where code is
>> re-used across multiple products (growing any regression test
>> requirements).
>>
>> The entire driver was intensionally written to be self-enclosed,
>> highly portable between 2.6.3x and v3.x kernels without subdev
>> breakages and/or api changes. With a small external Makefile it even
>> builds very nicely outside of the kernel on any kernel you like, that
>> shipped in the last 2-3 years.
>
> ??? We have the media_build system for that, so why care about older kernels?
>

>>> Some of the other issues are:
>>>
>>> - Please use the control framework. All new drivers must use it, unless
>>> there
>>>   are very, very good reasons not to. I'm gradually converting all drivers
>>>   the control framework, so I really don't want to introduce new drivers to
>>>   that list.
>>
>> I think the control framework is a great design, it's just too
>> difficult to debug and when I go near it - it breaks, or I spend an
>> hour trying to understand why my subdev call doesn't reach the subdev
>> device. My comments are not designed to inflame or upset you, I'm
>> simply pointing out that any work I've done recently (on two new PCIe
>> bridges - unreleased code) I've decided not to use it.
>
> Ask me if there are problems with the control framework! I'm happy to help
> out.
>
> I can't fix it, improve it, etc. if I don't here about it.
>
> The reason why all drivers should use it is that is behaves the same for all
> drivers, and apps can start to rely on that behavior. If something doesn't
> work,
> and you can't figure it out, then I am more than happy to help.
>
> But I will NACK this driver unless it is using the control framework.
> Otherwise
> I just have to do that later, and I really don't want to. There aren't many
> controls in this driver so it should be pretty quick to do it.
>
> In addition, the control framework will make it easy to implement control
> events,
> another thing that should be rolled out to all drivers.
>
>> Again, I specifically chosen to isolate this driver from certain key
>> areas of the (now enormous) v4l2 infrastructure.
>
> There is a reason for that infrastructure, you know. Consistent behavior from
> the point of view of applications is the most important one. And it actually
> takes a lot of work off your hands. Again, if there are questions, then I'm
> happy to help out (and possible improve the code or documentation).
>

>>> - TRY_FMT can actually set the format, something that should never happen.
>>
>> I can check, but I think gstreamer or tvtime actually relies on that
>> behavior.
>
> Highly unlikely. TRY_FMT should *never* change the actual format. It's been

I doubt tvtime or gstreamer would be relying on that: API is clear that try_*
doesn't
change it, and drivers don't change format on try_fmt.

If your driver is working with those apps, It is probably pretty much the
reverse:
the applications are either not using try_fmt, or doing an s_fmt before
streaming,
reverting any changes that might be happening with try_fmt.

>>> - Use the new DV_TIMINGS ioctls for the HDTV formats. S_FMT should not be
>>> used
>>>   to select the HDTV format!
>>
>> gstreamer on 2.6.37 and better didn't support DVTIMINGs. I would
>> certainly like to discuss adding better timing support once
>> applications are fully aware and can control the hardware using it.
>> The lack of a good timin API (and adoption by the application
>> developers) forced my hand to use S_FMT.
>
> You said that it was in your queue for some time, so it may be that it wasn't
> available when you started out. The problem is, the API is now available, and
> if drivers do not implement it, then there is also no reason for applications
> to use it, isn't it? Chicken and egg.
>
> I will NACK if the driver doesn't add support for it. Otherwise we end up with
> some drivers that implement it correctly, and others that use a different
> method. No application writer will ever thank us for that.
>
> Also, I didn't go through all the hard work of designing and adding an API and
> then see it being ignored in favor of a non-standard solution.
>
>> Right now the driver works today, on old and new systems, for hardware
>> that's shipping. It satisfies end user needs.
>>

>>> - The procfs additions seem unnecessary to me. VIDIOC_LOG_STATUS or perhaps
>>>   debugfs are probably much more suitable.
>>
>> I agree. It can probably be removed altogether.
>>

>>> - Using videobuf2 is very much recommended.
>>
>> I went with what I know to be honest. I neither agree nor disagree
>> with your comments. If videobuf2 is supported on 2.6.3x then this is
>> good news.
>
> If you use media_build to compile your driver, then everything including vb2
> is supported from 2.6.31 onwards (the oldest kernel supported by media_build).

Btw, 2.6.31 limit is just because none cares to have it supported on older
releases. Once I needed to test a driver on 2.6.28, and it was not hard to
add the very few missing bits for that driver to work there.

>>> - Please run v4l2-compliance and fix any reported issues!
>>>
>>> It's a pretty big driver, so I only looked skimmed the patch, but these are
>>> IMHO fairly major issues. As it stands it is only suitable to be merged in
>>> drivers/staging/media.
>>
>> I'm not sure I agree. I think I don't agree in general that subdev and
>> the control framework is mandatory for any driver. I think they are
>> accelerator frameworks designed to help. I my case I don't think they
>> do. So I avoided using them.
>>
>> I guess Mauro has the final decision.
>
> Of course.

I would accept it only if you have very strong technical reasons why not
using the existing infrastructure, e. g. you need to clearly explain
what makes your driver so different that the v4l infrastructure won't work
and can't be fixed to work with?

If you're willing to change it to fulfill the requirements, the driver
could be merged into staging, if think you'll take more than 4-5 weeks
to address the pointed issues.

> BTW, I saw another thing that must be changed: you use the .ioctl file
> operation instead of unlocked_ioctl. This is no longer allowed for new
> drivers since the removal of the BKL. The v4l2 core implementation of
> .ioctl attempts to simulate the old BKL and is very inefficient, in
> particular for drivers like this that do not use struct v4l2_device.
> If you have multiple ViewCast cards, then all v4l2 ioctls will go through
> a single V4L2 core lock, leading to substantial latencies.
>
> See also the comment in v4l2_ioctl() in v4l2_dev.c.
>
> New drivers must use unlocked_ioctl. I am in the (very slow, but steady)
> process of fixing any old drivers that still use .ioctl and once all are
> converted .ioctl will be removed altogether.

Regards,
Mauro