Hi Hans,

On Tuesday 14 August 2012 12:54:34 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Tue August 14 2012 01:54:16 Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > On Monday 13 August 2012 14:27:56 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > As part of the 2012 Kernel Summit V4L2 workshop I will be discussing a
> > > bunch of V4L2 ambiguities/improvements.
> > >
> > > I've made a list of all the V4L2 issues and put them in two categories:
> > > issues that I think are easy to resolve (within a few minutes at most),
> > > and those that are harder.
> > >
> > > If you think I put something in the easy category that you believe is
> > > actually hard, then please let me know.
> > >
> > > If you attend the workshop, then please read through this and think
> > > about it a bit, particularly for the second category.
> > >
> > > If something is unclear, or you think another topic should be added,
> > > then let me know as well.
> >
> > > Easy:
> > [snip]
> >
> > > 4) What should a driver return in TRY_FMT/S_FMT if the requested format
> > > is not supported (possible behaviours include returning the currently
> > > selected format or a default format).
> > >
> > > The spec says this: "Drivers should not return an error code unless
> > > the input is ambiguous", but it does not explain what constitutes an
> > > ambiguous input. Frankly, I can't think of any and in my opinion
> > > TRY/S_FMT should never return an error other than EINVAL (if the buffer
> > > type is unsupported)or EBUSY (for S_FMT if streaming is in progress).
> > >
> > > Returning an error for any other reason doesn't help the application
> > > since the app will have no way of knowing what to do next.
> >
> > That wasn't my point. Drivers should obviously not return an error. Let's
> > consider the case of a driver supporting YUYV and MJPEG. If the user calls
> > TRY_FMT or S_FMT with the pixel format set to RGB565, should the driver
> > return a hardcoded default format (one of YUYV or MJPEG), or the
> > currently selected format ? In other words, should the pixel format
> > returned by TRY_FMT or S_FMT when the requested pixel format is not valid
> > be a fixed default pixel format, or should it depend on the currently
> > selected pixel format ?
>
> Actually, in this case I would probably choose a YUYV format that is closest
> to the requested size. If a driver supports both compressed and
> uncompressed formats, then it should only select a compressed format if the
> application explicitly asked for it. Handling compressed formats is more
> complex than uncompressed formats, so that seems a sensible rule.

That wasn't my point either :-) YUYV/MJPEG was just an example. You can
replace MJPEG with UYVY or NV12 above. What I want to know is whether TRY_FMT
and S_FMT must, when given a non-supported format, return a fixed supported
format or return a supported format that can depend on the currently selected
format.

> The next heuristic I would apply is to choose a format that is closest to
> the requested size.
>
> So I guess my guidelines would be:
>
> 1) If the pixelformat is not supported, then choose an uncompressed format
> (if possible) instead.
> 2) Next choose a format closest to, but smaller than (if possible) the
> requested size.
>
> But this would be a guideline only, and in the end it should be up to the
> driver. Just as long TRY/S_FMT always returns a format.

Laurent Pinchart