On Tue August 14 2012 13:06:46 Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Tuesday 14 August 2012 12:54:34 Hans Verkuil wrote:

> > > [snip]

> > > That wasn't my point. Drivers should obviously not return an error. Let's
> > > consider the case of a driver supporting YUYV and MJPEG. If the user calls
> > > TRY_FMT or S_FMT with the pixel format set to RGB565, should the driver
> > > return a hardcoded default format (one of YUYV or MJPEG), or the
> > > currently selected format ? In other words, should the pixel format
> > > returned by TRY_FMT or S_FMT when the requested pixel format is not valid
> > > be a fixed default pixel format, or should it depend on the currently
> > > selected pixel format ?
> >
> > Actually, in this case I would probably choose a YUYV format that is closest
> > to the requested size. If a driver supports both compressed and
> > uncompressed formats, then it should only select a compressed format if the
> > application explicitly asked for it. Handling compressed formats is more
> > complex than uncompressed formats, so that seems a sensible rule.
>
> That wasn't my point either :-) YUYV/MJPEG was just an example. You can
> replace MJPEG with UYVY or NV12 above. What I want to know is whether TRY_FMT
> and S_FMT must, when given a non-supported format, return a fixed supported
> format or return a supported format that can depend on the currently selected
> format.
>
> > The next heuristic I would apply is to choose a format that is closest to
> > the requested size.
> >
> > So I guess my guidelines would be:
> >
> > 1) If the pixelformat is not supported, then choose an uncompressed format
> > (if possible) instead.
> > 2) Next choose a format closest to, but smaller than (if possible) the
> > requested size.
> >
> > But this would be a guideline only, and in the end it should be up to the
> > driver. Just as long TRY/S_FMT always returns a format.

Well, the currently selected format is irrelevant. The user is obviously
requesting something else and the driver should attempt to return something
that is at least somewhat close to what it requested. If that's impossible,
then falling back to some default format is a good choice.

Does that answer the question?