On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 21:47:20 +0800
Albert Wang <twan...@marvell.com> wrote:

> This patch adds the support of Soc Camera on marvell-ccic mcam-core.
> The Soc Camera mode does not compatible with current mode.
> Only one mode can be used at one time.
>
> To use Soc Camera, CONFIG_VIDEO_MMP_SOC_CAMERA should be defined.
> What's more, the platform driver should support Soc camera at the same time.
>
> Also add MIPI interface and dual CCICs support in Soc Camera mode.

I'm glad this work is being done, but I have some high-level grumbles
to start with.

This patch is too big, and does several things. I think there needs to
be one to add SOC support (but see below), one to add planar formats,
one to add MIPI, one for the second CCIC, etc. That will make them all
easier to review.

The SOC camera stuff could maybe use a little more thought. Why does
this driver *need* to be a SOC camera driver?  If that is truly
necessary (or sufficiently beneficial), can we get to the point where
that's the only mode?  I really dislike the two modes; we're
essentially perpetuating the two-drivers concept in a #ifdef'd form; it
would be good not to do that.

If there is truly some reason why both modes need to exist, can we
arrange things so that the core doesn't know the difference?  I'd like
to see no new ifdefs there if possible, it already has way too many.

That, I think, is how I'd like to go toward a cleaner, more reviewable,
more maintainable solution.  Make sense?

Thanks,

jon