On Fri, 5 Oct 2012, Anatolij Gustschin wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 16:31:58 +0200 (CEST)
> Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovet...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi Anatolij
> >
> > On Fri, 5 Oct 2012, Anatolij Gustschin wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Guennadi,

> > Unfortunately you still haven't explained what "IFM O2D" cameras are and
> > why they have that I2C command restriction.
>
> This is not true. I did. And I did it even _before_ anyone has asked me to
> explain it. Please read the commit log of this patch again.

I did. It tells about the specific implementation, that you worked with,
but I have no idea, whether that's a definition of an "O2D camera" or just
your specific case. So, is an O2D camera a sensor, like mt9v022 + "special
glue logic" to connect it to the LocalPlus bus?

> > > The fact that many I2C commands are permitted during streaming doesn't
> > > necessary mean that an application must use them during streaming. Our
> > > camera application is aware of I2C bus access limitations during steaming
> > > and after streamon it doesn't use configurations resulting in I2C accesses
> > > to the sensor. But I'm not arguing for the ifdef here.
> >
> > But that's the only thing, that your patch is doing. So, this patch can be
> > dropped?
>
> Only if there will be another possibility to isolate I2C access after
> streamon. Otherwise the capturing won't work.
>
> > > We are using mt9v022
> > > subdevice driver and I'd really avoid creating new custom subdevice
> > > driver,
> > > duplicating the mt9v022 driver functionality. This custom duplicated
> > > driver
> > > also won't be accepted in mainline, I think.
> >
> > Correct.
> >
> > > I was thinking about a proposal
> > > for adding I2C bus access limitation awareness to the mt9v022 subdev
> > > driver.
> >
> > I think I begin to understand. This is exactly why you need the snapshot
> > mode in mt9v022, right?
>
> No! Not only. There are many different requirements for industrial camera
> applications. I.e. one requirement is to trigger a single frame on some
> external event and to capture exactly this triggered frame. Streaming mode
> is not suitable here.

I understand this, but your specific case is this your LocalPlus bus +
glue, which can only operate the attached sensor in the snapshot mode,
triggering each signle frame, using a chip-select pin.

But it doesn't matter indeed in this case. Important is, that we have a
valid use case and we have to make it work.

Let's think how this snapshot mode is different from the "normal"
streaming mode. The obvious difference is the sensor (mt9v022)
configuration. So, our "switch to snapshot mode" command must have a
subdevice operation or it has to be a control. Are there any more
differences? Does the host have to know, that the snapshot mode has been
activated? In master mode the regularity, at which frames will be arriving
can change, but do hosts care? Most anyway work asynchronously, listening
to sync signals. However, in slave mode the host will have to be
synchronised with the trigger signal. I don't know, whether we have any
active slave-mode set ups, i.e. whether we should care about those.

In either case, this should be a proper configuration option, so far I
don't see why a control should not suffice.

> > And in your camera host driver you issue a
> > "stream-off" command on stream-on to switch into the snapshot mode, then
> > you have to suppress the stream-on in soc-camera core. If I understand
> > correctly, then this is broken. Your host driver will stop streaming on
> > all sensor drivers and the ifdef will suppress the streamon from the
> > soc-camera core, so, your host driver will only work on this specific
> > board, where you have to use the snapshot mode on mt9v022.
>
> What is wrong with this? Nothing is broken at all. This host driver is
> written for this specific board family and is not used on other boards.
> It cannot be used on other boards at all since these do not provide
> needed sensor glue logic. Even if other sensor drivers should ever be
> used on this board (most probably it will never be the case), they have
> to be used in snapshot mode anyway.

Hm, ok, if you're willing to maintain a driver in the mainline, that is
only used on 1 family of boards - no problem with me. Still, I don't want
it to look like a hack, e.g. calling streamoff in place of a streamon. So,
we still need to extend the mt9v022 driver to explicitly support the
snapshot mode, in which it will not switch to the streaming mode on
streamon. And I think this should be a run-time operation, because
eventually it can be used to switch between preview and taking single
externally-triggered snapshots.

Thanks
Guennadi

> > The proper solution, as I already suggested before, would be to implement
> > a snapshot mode support. In that case the mt9v022 driver will be aware,
> > that it has to work in the snapshot mode and will not switch over into the
> > streaming mode.
> >
> > This topic has been raised several times on the mailing list, but until
> > now nobody had a real need for a snapshot mode. The easiest way to do this
> > would be to add a camera class control, however, I suspect, this is a much
> > more complex topic, see, e.g. this recent thread:
> >
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/54079
> >
> > Maybe you could review that thread and reply to it with your requirements?
>
> I did already read this thread partially. Unfortunately I do not have time
> for it now, maybe later.
>
> Thanks,
> Anatolij

---