Em Thu, 03 Jan 2013 23:33:49 +0200
Antti Palosaari <cr...@iki.fi> escreveu:

> On 01/03/2013 06:29 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Em Thu, 3 Jan 2013 14:14:29 -0200
> > Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mche...@redhat.com> escreveu:

> >> Klaus,
> >>
> >> On ISDB-T, it splits the TS into (up to) three independent physical
> >> channels
> >> (called layers).
> >>
> >> Each channel has its own statistics, as they're completely independent:
> >> they use different inner FEC's, use different modulations, etc.
> >>
> >> The ISDB demods don't provide a single value for the 3 layers. They
> >> can't, as they're independent. So, signal-strengh and SNR measures are
> >> also independent for each of those 3 layers.
> >>
> >> A typical ISDB transmission uses 13 segments of carriers, each segment
> >> using a 4.28 kHz bandwidth, grouped into 3 layers. While it is up to
> >> the broadcaster to decide how to group the segments, it is typically
> >> arranged like that:
> >>
> >>    layer A - 1 segment for LD programs - modulated using QPSK;
> >>    layer B - 3 segments for SD programs - modulated using 16QAM;
> >>    layer C - 9 segments for HD programs - modulated using 64QAM.
> >>
> >> The TDM TS packets from the Transport Stream are broken into those 3
> >> layers, each being an independent transmission channel.
> >>
> >> So, all channel level QoS measure are per-layer (SNR, signal strength,
> >> BER, MER, ...).
> >>
> >> While the demods I have datasheets here don't provide it, it would be
> >> possible to provide error counts for a given program ID, by summing
> >> the error count that applies to each PID.
> >>
> >> So, let's assume, for example, that the UCB count is:
> >>    layer A = 0
> >>    layer B = 12
> >>    layer C = 30
> >>
> >> an 1-seg LD program will have 0 uncorrected blocks;
> >> an SD program will have 12 uncorrected error blocks;
> >> a HD program will have 42 uncorrected error blocks.
> >>
> >> It shouldn't be that hard to take it into account on userspace, but
> >> doing it at kernel level would be very painful, if possible, as
> >> kernelspace would be required to know what PID's are being shown, in
> >> order to estimate the error count measures for them. Also, it would
> >> require a much more complex kernelspace-userspace interface.
> >
> > Two additional notes:
> >
> > 1) If you want to get further information, it is available on ARIB
> >     STD-B31 spec:
> >
> >     http://www.arib.or.jp/english/html/overview/doc/6-STD-B31v1_6-E2.pdf
> >
> > There, table 3-2 shows the main characteristics of the modulation;
> > how the 3 independent channels are handled and fig. 3.4
> > shows a simplified diagram to give an idea on how the hierarchical TS
> > packets are broken into the 3 layers
> >
> > 2) There are in the market some narrow-band decoders. Those tunes only
> > 1 segment (440kHz), and are meant to be used on mobile devices that can
> > receive only LD programs. Only for those devices, it is possible to
> > offer a single set of statistics (SNR, strength, BER, UCB, etc),
> > because it can decode just one layer. I have a few of them here,
> [...]

Ok, just added a new RFC. I tried to put there everything discussed on both
ML and on IRC:
        http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/16145/

It is also available on my experimental tree, at branch "stats":
        git://linuxtv.org/mchehab/experimental.git stats

I didn't start coding yet. After we agree with that, I'll write a v7 with
both DVB core changes and one driver implementation.

Regards,
Mauro.

PS.: I'm enclosing the main documentation chapter of the specs, in order
to help with discussions, as it is better do comment on a plain-text
email, than to reply to an XML file. If you want to see it in HTML, just
pull it from my tree, run "make htmldocs" and see it on your favorite
browser, like:
        firefox
file:///home/mchehab/stats/Documentation/DocBook/media_api/FE_GET_SET_PROPERTY.html

---

- Frontend Quality of Service/Statistics indicators

Except for DTV_QOS_ENUM, the values are returned via dtv_property.stat.

For most delivery systems, this will return a single value for each parameter.

It should be noticed, however, that new OFDM delivery systems like ISDB can use
different modulation types for each group of carriers. On such standards, up to
8 groups of statistics can be provided, one for each carrier group (called
"layer" on ISDB). In order to be consistent with other delivery systems, the
first value at dtv_property.stat.dtv_stats array refers to a global indicator,
if any. The other elements of the array represent each layer, starting from
layer A(index 1), layer B (index 2) and so on

The number of filled elements are stored at dtv_property.stat.len.

Each element of the dtv_property.stat.dtv_stats array consists on two elements:

    value - Value of the measure

    scale - Scale for the value. It can be:

        FE_SCALE_NOT_AVAILABLE - If it is not possible to collect a given
parameter (could be a transitory or permanent condition)

        FE_SCALE_DECIBEL - parameter is a signed value, measured in 0.1 dB

        FE_SCALE_RELATIVE - parameter is a unsigned value, where 0 means 0% and
65535 means 100%.

- DTV_QOS_ENUM

A frontend needs to advertise the statistics it provides. This property allows
to enumerate all DTV QoS statistics that are supported by a given frontend.

dtv_property.len indicates the number of supported DTV QoS statistics.

dtv_property.data16 is an 16 bits array of the supported properties.

- DTV_QOS_TUNER_SIGNAL

Indicates the signal strength level at the analog part of the tuner.

- DTV_QOS_CNR

Indicates the signal to noise relation for the main carrier.

- DTV_QOS_BIT_ERROR_COUNT

Measures the number of bit errors since the last counter reset.

In order to get the bit error rate, it should be divided by
DTV_QOS_BIT_ERROR_COUNT_TIME, if available. Otherwise, it should be divided by
the time lapsed since the previous call for DTV_QOS_BIT_ERROR_COUNT.

- DTV_QOS_BIT_ERROR_COUNT_TIME

measures the time since the last DTV_QOS_BIT_ERROR_COUNT reset.

It might not be available on certain frontends, even when
DTV_QOS_BIT_ERROR_COUNT is provided, due to the lack of frontend's
documentation when the driver was developed.

- DTV_QOS_ERROR_BLOCK_COUNT

Measures the number of block errors since the last counter reset.

In order to get the bit error rate, it should be divided by
DTV_QOS_ERROR_BLOCK_COUNT_TIME, if available. Otherwise, it should be divided
by the time lapsed since the previous call for DTV_QOS_ERROR_BLOCK_COUNT.

- DTV_QOS_ERROR_BLOCK_COUNT_TIME

measures the time since the last DTV_QOS_ERROR_BLOCK_COUNT reset.

It might not be available on certain frontends, even when
DTV_QOS_BIT_ERROR_BLOCK_COUNT is provided, due to the lack of frontend's
documentation when the driver was developed.

--

Cheers,
Mauro