OK, I realise I should be able to work this out....but I'm stuck and
no matter how much I read I've developed a mental block (think of it
as the computing version of writers block).

I use Fedora as my primary OS, currently Fedora 20 latest kernel 3.13

I need to keep using this kernel as I use SELinux for a couple of
things on my server and compiling a vanilla kernel and patching
SELinux in is just way too messy........

As the V4L-DVB Media_Tree is NOT included in the kernel-devel version
of the Fedora kernel it requires a complete kernel compile to download
the required media tree, however I can't then get the V4L-DVB media
tree from git to patch against the Fedora (uncompiled) kernel prior to
compilation, I've installed all the tools required (I have built a few
kernels before when I needed to) but I've just hit a mental wall......

Help!!