Hi Antti,

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 8:01 PM, Antti Palosaari <cr...@iki.fi> wrote:
> Moikka!
>

> On 02/16/2015 09:48 PM, Philip Downer wrote:
>>
>> The Vortex PCIe card by Prospero Technologies Ltd is a modular DVB card
>> with a hardware demux, the card can support up to 8 modules which are
>> fixed to the board at assembly time. Currently we only offer one
>> configuration, 8 x Dibcom 7090p DVB-t tuners, but we will soon be
>> releasing
>> other configurations. There is also a connector for an infra-red receiver
>> dongle on the board which supports RAW IR.
>>
>> The driver has been in testing on our systems (ARM Cortex-A9, Marvell
>> Sheva,
>> x86, x86-64) for longer than 6 months, so I'm confident that it works.
>> However as this is the first Linux driver I've written, I'm sure there are
>> some things that I've got wrong. One thing in particular which has been
>> raised by one of our early testers is that we currently register all of
>> our frontends as being attached to one adapter. This means the device is
>> enumerated in /dev like this:
>>
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0
>>
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend1
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr1
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux1
>>
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend2
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr2
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux2
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> Whilst I think this is ok according to the spec, our tester has complained
>> that it's incompatible with their software which expects to find just one
>> frontend per adapter. So I'm wondering if someone could confirm if what
>> I've done with regards to this is correct.
>

> As I understand all those tuners are independent (could be used same time)
> you should register those as a 8 adapters, each having single frontend, dvr
> and demux.

Yes, all those tuners can be operated independently. So would I be
correct in saying that in Linux an adapter is an independent tuner?

In that case the only time you would have frontend0, frontend1 etc is
when there is a single dvb source that is switched between tuners?

--
Philip Downer
+44 (0)7879 470 969