From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: pine locally through dialup?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:17:34 -0500

How would I send mail?

--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: compiled kernel hangs at "POSIX Compliance" line
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 00:13:57 GMT

Can anyone shed light? I made some changes to the scheduler and
recompliled the kernel. The reboot hangs at the POSIX Compliance line.
What is being tested at this point that could be causing the hang?

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: problem with rpm installs
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:30:13 -0500

Steve wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 13:37:14 -0500, Rick wrote:
> >Steve wrote:

> >> Oops, some bad typing there sorry.  I did:
> >>
> >> # rpm --freshen rpm.n.n.n.rpm
> >>
> >> as root where "n" just represents the vearious version numbers.
> >>

> >I tried it and got the same error.
>
> Ok, I originally had the problem when I was trying to use some RPMs
> that had come from RH7.0, and I'm only on RH6.2, so I got the updated
> rpm package for RH6.2 and did
>
> # rpm --freshen rpm.the_new_rpm_version_number.rpm
>
> where the updated rpm file of the rpm package is in the
> current directory.
>
> Then I went and tried to upgrade the bits and pieces that I needed from
> RH7.0 and it worked fine.
>
> PS: I did the same with gnomerpm (or whatever it's called) too.
>
> --

 Thanks for the info?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drazen Kacar)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years?
Date: 14 Nov 2000 00:29:11 GMT

mlw wrote:
> Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> > * You can easily make a C++ binding for a C framework, so why not do
> >   it the other way around?
>
> Because C++ provides you with a rich set of object handling features.
> Look at the GTK, it is a horrible mess of "C" pretending to be C++. Why

It isn't horrible. It's very nice compared to some other C stuff which
tried to be object oriented.

> not use C++ in the first place?

So why not use Objective C?

--
 .-.   .-.    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done.
(_  \ /  _)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.solaris
Date: 14 Nov 2000 00:40:42 GMT

On 13 Nov 2000 23:54:14 +0100, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
>[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
>>   The one thing I think is silly about the current open source mentality
>>   is that many of them, particularly the gnome people, are passionately
>>   anti-c++.
>
>* No standards for name mangling, leading to backwards compatibility
>  horrors.

In theory, yes. In practice, we've also seen backward compatibility problems
with libc.

>* Very hard to make bindings to languages other than C++.

extern "C".

>* You can easily make a C++ binding for a C framework, so why not do
>  it the other way around?

Why would you want to use C for high level applications programming ? I
can see a reasonable argument to be made for writing perl, python, etc
bindings using a C based API, but I don't see why anyone would want
to stick with C.

GTK+/GNOME are a couple of hairballs, C pretending to be C++. I won't
even start on ORBit. My only hope for GNOME/GTK is that they'll bring
their C++ support up to an acceptable level.

>The Unix ABI is based on C.  Live with it.

If this attitude prevailed, you wouldn't be using a computer in the
first place.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: Eric B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Upgrading kernel (From 2.2.14-5.0 to 2.2.17)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 00:40:47 GMT

Kaybenn Sturas wrote:

> Greetings :)
>
> I am trying to upgrade my kernel from 2.2.14-5.0 to 2.2.17.  I am
> running Red Hat 6.2 on a Pentium 166 Mhz MMX with 40Megs of RAM and a
> 1Gig ext2 partition set aside for linux.
>
> I've gone through the make mrproper, xconfig, dep, clean, bzImage,
> modules, and modules_install all while logged in as root and all without
> error.  I then modified my lilo.conf as follows so it included a new
> section "linux2" for the new kernel Image:
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> linear
> default=linux
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
>     label=linux
>     read-only
>     VGA=788
>     root=/dev/hda3
>
> image=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
>     label=linux2
>     read-only
>     VGA=788*
>     root=/dev/hda3
>
> other=/dev/hda1
>     label=dos
>
> * I was sure to include the option in the kernel to allow VGA consoles.
> However I have tried commenting this line out with no change :(
>
> I then ran /sbin/lilo -v to update the mbr.
> Now when I try to load linux2 from the LILO: prompt I get:

> Then the screen goes black, however my HDD light blinks as if the kernel
> is booting, I just can not see it :(.  I can't change virtual terminals
> in and rebooting blindly but it dosen't seem to work).
>
> I have read the kernel-HOWTO, the README file that came with the kernel
> and many docs online (As well as searched usenet for similiar questions)
>
> Have I left out a needed video driver?
> Is there a way to log what is happening while my screen is black?
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated :)
>
> Thanks
>     Kaybenn :)
>
> Note:  Remove the NOSPAM to reply by email :)
You should not path lilo to the /usr/src/linux directory, it is probably
way out of the 1024th cyl.  You need to copy bzImage to
/boot/vmlinuz.new (for example). In addition copy the
/usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot/System.map (save the old one as
System.map.old).  Now edit your lilo.conf so that your second entry
points to /boot/vmlinuz.new.  Next run /sbin/lilo.  Here is my lilo.conf
file for reference, but keep in mind that it is off a Slackware box,
there is an entry for the frambuffer console (I like the cool penguin
logo:), and an entry to map my cdrom burner to ide-scsi, you can ignore
these if neccessary.  I would definetely forgo experimenting with the
framebuffer video driver until you have your kernel booting
successfully.
Eric bueschel

# LILO configuration file
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/sda
prompt
timeout = 1200
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
vga = 791
# End LILO global section
# boot primary linux kernel
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/sda3
  label = Linux
  read-only
append="hda=ide-scsi"
# DOS bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/sda1
  label = DOS
  table = /dev/sda
# DOS bootable partition config ends
# backup kernel config
image = /boot/vmlinuz.old
  root = /dev/sda3
  label = old
  read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends

--
Windows:  A 32 bit shell for a 16 bit operating system, originally
written for

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.solaris
Date: 14 Nov 2000 00:43:30 GMT

On 13 Nov 2000 22:27:00 -0000, Chris J/#6 wrote:
>James Hutchins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Speaking of Motif ... I've not actually done any research (mostly because
>this thoughts only just arrived within my skull) -- has any one considered,
>or are there any libraries, that wrap Qt and/or GTK into Motif calls? I know

I don't think they have. Ouch! the thought makes me ill.

Seriously, Qt is not just a pretty looking widget set. It's also very nicely
designed, and forcing it onto the design of a legacy API is less than
desirable.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: Bill Swisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Memory leak?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:48:55 -0900

==============88F718AC4FFF5BABC74C74A7

Greg Engel wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this.

Which XFree package are you running?  I'm using 3.3.6-20 for the mach64.  I
discovered that I need to logout/login every so often...otherwise the X
process starts grabbing more and more memory, top will show you this.  I
use the same 3.3.6-20 at work with another type of card (S3 I think) with
no problems.

--
Coward, n.:
        One who in a perilous emergency thinks with his legs.

==============88F718AC4FFF5BABC74C74A7

Greg Engel wrote:
on this.</blockquote>
Which XFree package are you running?&nbsp; I'm using 3.3.6-20 for the mach64.&nbsp;
I discovered that I need to logout/login every so often...otherwise the
X process starts grabbing more and more memory, top will show you this.&nbsp;
I use the same 3.3.6-20 at work with another type of card (S3 I think)
with no problems.
<pre>--&nbsp;
Coward, n.:
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; One who in a perilous emergency thinks with
his legs.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: configuration for mainboard-incorporated video card
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 01:44:36 GMT

Hi all

I am a newbie in linux. when i setted up linux, i could not configurate
driver for my video card, so i cannot use WindowsX.
my video card was incorporated into mainboard, i failed to configurate
even if i tried to select "Untitiled Card" and other "generic" items
in "setup" procedure.

Thanks in advance

lxx

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Michael Collins ())
Subject: ALI DMA Patches
Date: 14 Nov 2000 02:30:32 GMT

Hello,

I have a compaq laptop with an ALI15xx.

Several installations ago I applied some
utilities and patches from the 'people Hedrick'
kernel patches.  This enabled DMA on my puter.

I want to do this same thing but there is no
documentation.  Is the IDE-DMA patch documented
anywhere.  From what I remember there was a
uniform IDE thingy and then a kernel patch
and then I tweaked runtime stuff like LILO
or something but it was months and months ago.

Where is a FAQ/Guide/Howto/prayer??

--Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Cannot Install RedHat 7.0 in 8 Megabytes
Date: 14 Nov 2000 02:42:20 GMT

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 15:08:14 GMT, Jeff Susanj wrote:
>I am trying to install Red Hat 7.0 on a machine that now has Windows 95.
>The machine has a 133 Mhz AMD 586 on a 33 Mhz motherboard with 8 Meg of RAM.
>I plan to upgrade the RAM eventually to 64 Meg.  When I run the install
>program anaconda exits on a signal 15.  I have seen posts about signal 11
>and 7 indicating a hardware problem but no mention of signal 15.  Is this
>because I only have 8 meg or is there some other kind of hardware problem?
>I have installed Linux on a similar machine with 64 meg with no problem.

Upgrade the memory NOW if you want to install RedHat x.y.  8M is not
enough to do much of anything; you will probably be able to install an
older version of Slack, but that's about it.  The newer distros want
lots of memory for their installers, since almost every distro has
switched to graphical installs, X is relatively impossible to run in
anything less than 16M, and the install process consumes as much memory
as it can.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MaryP)
Date: 14 Nov 2000 02:56:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rick
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How would I send mail?

you just tell Pine to send it, and it invisibly goes through your sendmail
and out to your ISP. Normally you don't have to configure sendmail at all
if your other progs are properly set up.

MP

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux/UNIX=Windows
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:02:19 GMT

Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:19:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >With an accounting system, it will _surely__ be more efficient
> >[counting Therbligs; see "Therbligs: The Keys to Simplifying Work"
> ><http://gilbrethnetwork.tripod.com/therbligs.html>] to enter numbers
> >on a menu screen looking like:
> >
> >1. G/L     4.  Payroll
> >2. A/R     5.  Sales
> >3. A/P     6.  Inventory
> >
> >[_] Enter 1-6, or Esc to exit
> >
> >As compared to having to mouse around to click on icons or to pull
> >down menus.
> >
> >Counting the milliseconds, it will take fewer milliseconds to press
> >"2" than it does to move your hand away from the keyboard, grab the
> >mouse, negotiate a path to the right spot, and then click on the "A/R"
> >icon.
>
> About 100,000 Australians use text based accounting systems as you
> describe. About 600,000 use graphical accounting systems. There are
> also users of mixed systems but they total way less then 600,000.
>
> On the graphical systems beginners get going with 1 hour of training.
> On the text base systems, people require 6-8 hours training and a lot
> of practice.

And the status, a year later, after they are done with "learning
curve," is what?

What you're describing sounds rather more like the "marketing
verbiage" that results from vendors wanting to sell a new "generation"
of GUI-based systems rather than a careful evaluation based on actual
time studies.

> I have never measured the time delay involved in moving my hand from
> the mouse to the keyboard for those few infuriating fossil programs
> that require the typing of a 1 digit number in a box when a drop
> down menu is so much easier and more accurate. For input of 1 - 6, a
> drop down menu eliminates mistakes like typing in 8.

Hmm.  Interesting.  You find it more accurate to use imprecise hand
gestures to get "precision" rather than keystrokes that are either
"on" or "off."

> Of course some people can type really fast with character based
> systems. They are the ones most in need of RSI prevention measures
> such as using the mouse. The old typewriter had a regular paper
> change to prevent constriction of the blood supply in your forearm.
>
> Moving your hand from where ever you have it now to the mouse is a
> great relief.

.. And the stress of moving the mouse around _also_ seems to be
associated with RSI injuries, so it certainly isn't so unambiguous as
this implies ...
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@hex.net")
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:02:23 GMT

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> >
> > [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> >
> > >   The one thing I think is silly about the current open source mentality
> > >   is that many of them, particularly the gnome people, are passionately
> > >   anti-c++.
> >
> > * No standards for name mangling, leading to backwards compatibility
> >   horrors.
> Not realy an issue. If one uses C binding for exported functions.
>
> > * Very hard to make bindings to languages other than C++.
> Not true.
>
> extern "C" function(....)
>
> What is the problem? Why is that hard?

Mind you, you'll need to make sure that those bindings provide things
in a "C style," no making external use of vtables, and such, which
obviates much of the point of bothering with C++...
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@hex.net")
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
"What   is  the  purpose   of  a   person  acquiring   perfect  French
pronunciation if they  have nothing of value to  say in any language?"
-- Walter Ong

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:02:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris J/#6) writes:
> Speaking of Motif ... I've not actually done any research (mostly
> because this thoughts only just arrived within my skull) -- has any
> one considered, or are there any libraries, that wrap Qt and/or GTK
> into Motif calls? I know there's Lesstif, but generally speaking
> Motif widgets ain't pretty, and again from a look/feel aspect, it
> seems a good idea. Having never had the misfortune to write Motif
> code, I wouldn't know how hard it is to wrap the Motif calls up.

Qt and GTK both are designed to hide away Xt and, quite frankly, any
_direct_ connections to X and ancilliary libraries.

Part of the point of the exercise is to allow Qt/GTK to be portable to
other "graphics substrates" than X, which actually turns out to be
important _and the case_; both Qt and GTK can run atop X and atop
Win32.

There is really no point to wrap Qt/GTK in Motif calls; the reverse
would probably be more desirable, as wrapping Motif in Qt/GTK calls
would allow Motif apps to be run on Win32 (and perhaps elsewhere).
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@hex.net")
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/xlibs.html>