Linux-Misc Digest #336, Volume #26               Sat, 18 Nov 00 14:13:02 EST

Contents:
  phone-messaging gateway software? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ICQ (Claus Atzenbeck)
  Re: Installing Linux (Paul Payne)
  Re: file is not found - but I know it exists! (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: The case of the fizzling fonts (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Re: network slow in linux, fast in win... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  who sells laptops with linux and win98? (Pat Masterson)
  Re: who sells laptops with linux and win98? ("Tauno Voipio")
  Re: A stronger kill (Daniel Barron)
  Re: RedHat 7 eth0 module problems (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Linux installation (Leonard Evens)
  Re: VM: killing process - box freezes (Hal Burgiss)
  w3cam, permissions for /dev/video ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: meditech terminal session under linux (fred smith)
  Re: Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI Model CT4810? (fred smith)
  Re: LinkSys betrayed us! Poor prospects for Linux. (Henry_Barta)
  libXpm needed? ("Flej Ling")
  Re: ICQ ("Flej Ling")
  Re: libXpm needed? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: bringing eth0 up question ("John D. Peedle")
  Re: RedHat 7 eth0 module problems (Doug Angus)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: phone-messaging gateway software?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 14:56:31 GMT

I have a need, and I'm sure someone has done this already (I hope).  I
have a wireless device that I can read email with.  I'd like to be
"page-able".  So, I'm looking for a linux-based application that will
let me use a modem to accept phone calls, decode some DTMF, and send the
numeric message as email.  Preferably, something that can voice prompt,
 manage multiple accounts (i.e. "Enter PIN of whom you'd like to
email"), etc.

I'd be much obliged for any pointers.

Alex

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ICQ
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:12:34 +0100

Flej Ling wrote on Sat, 18 Nov 2000 07:10:32 -0800:

> Can anyone tell me what ICQ stands for? (I know what it is, but what does
> the ackronym represent?)

ICQ = "I seek you" or: I - see-k you

You see? :-)

------------------------------

From: Paul Payne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Linux
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:19:48 GMT

Etienne Laurin wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I would like to install Linux (Mandrake Linux 7.2 to be exact) on my
> hard drive which is partitioned in multiple 2Gb partitions and
> considering that it would be installed on the third partition (an
> extended partition I think), it would be passed the 1024e cylinder. I
> would like to know if it is possible to install (and boot) Linux passed
> the 1024e cylinder. If it is not possible to boot Linux from ?so far?,
> could I still install it on that partition and boot from a floppy disk
> to bypass the 1024e cylinder problem. And if I boot from a floppy disk
> every time I wish to boot in Linux, I would like some to confirm me that
> it wouldn?t change anything if I do a fdisk /mbr to boot my Windows
> without having to go through LILO every time I boot my computer.
>
> Thank you.

While your results may vary, I used to have a dual boot system with
Win98 on hda, and MDK 7.1 on hdc.  The installer had no trouble writing
a lilo.conf to give me a boot option for either OS, using the MBR.  Are
you sure this won't work for you?  MDK 7.2 is as good or better at this
than 7.1.  If you are reasonably careful, and choose to make a bootdisk
during the install, you could even leave the MBR alone.  This way the
worst case is your new install wont't work, but existing OS will be
fine.  There's nothing like learning the hard way, and the lessons stick
a lot better.  Live a little!  :)
--
Paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: file is not found - but I know it exists!
Date: 18 Nov 2000 10:45:33 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Ø. Sørensen wrote:
>  #: /usr/local/stata/stinit
>  bash: /usr/local/stata/stinit: No such file or directory
>  #: file /usr/local/stata/stinit
>  /usr/local/stata/stinit: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
>  version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
>
> I do not understand what is wrong here - my linux installation appears
> in all other respects to be very stable (SuSE 7.0), but clearly something is
> wrong.

Are you trying to run a libc5 binary on a libc6 system?  If so, then you
need to install /lib/ld-linux.so.1, /lib/libc.so.5, and any other needed
libc5-related dynamic libraries.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <stefano @ zool.su.se>
Subject: Re: The case of the fizzling fonts
Date: 18 Nov 2000 16:56:36 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I have seen this problem.  I bet you have a video card with the S3 Virge
> chipset.  The weird thing is that this porblem would happen on X as well
> as MS Windows 9x.  My brother had an identical card and he had the same
> problem.  Do a deja search, I think you will see that other people have
> font problems wiht the Virge card.  I was amazed to find out that it was
> a hardware problem and not a driver problem.

I also have experienced this with a S3 Virge video card. After a few
days the card died completely and I had to get a new one.

--
Stefano

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: network slow in linux, fast in win...
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:01:00 GMT

I got the same strange slow Linux behaviour, and I did a couple of
measurements, using FTP on 3 differents machine on a small LAN: one
R6000/AIX box, one laptop/WinNt, one standard Linux desktop.

By exchanging several times the same file, I got the following figures
(number of Kbytes/seconds) :

Client=Linux, Server=NT :  get at 760, put at 16
Client=Linux, Server=AIX:  get at 4, put at 1100

Client=AIX, Server=Linux: get at 100, put at 4
Client=AIX, Server=NT : get at 1000, put at 1000

Client=NT, Server=AIX : get at 1000, put at 1000
Client=NT, Server=Linux : get at 15, put at 600

I repeated the test several times for each combination.

All MTU's are 1500 (except maybe NT, don't know where it is hidden).
No error nor collision reported by 'netstat -in'.

NIC's are: Xircom for the LapTop, embedded on motherboard for AIX,
3C509 ISA for Linux, both of them 10 Mbits;
All connections 10baseT, same HUB.

Has anybody  an explanation (even poor ...) for that strange behaviour?

Thanks.

Henri Henault.

From: Pat Masterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: who sells laptops with linux and win98?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:10:39 GMT

Do any of the major vendors sell laptops preconfigured with a modern
linux
and win98? Thanks. -pat   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: who sells laptops with linux and win98?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:24:38 GMT

"Pat Masterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Do any of the major vendors sell laptops preconfigured with a modern
> linux
> and win98? Thanks. -pat   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

IBM Think Pads - they come with either WIN98 or Linux. AFAIK there are no
pre-installed dual OS systems.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: Daniel Barron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A stronger kill
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:24:22 +0000

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink) wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 12:17:12 +0000 Daniel Barron
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I am writing a daemon in C++ and often I mess up and it won't even respond
> >to a kill <process id>.  I then have to reboot my linux.
> >
> >There must be a better way of killing something that won't go away?
>
> I assume you've used "kill -9 pid"?

Will do.  Thanks to you and all the others.  Also thanks for pointing out
that I should have read the man page.

I just looked at it and taking a closer look shows this command.

--
Daniel Barron - use [at jadeb.com] for personal replys.

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: RedHat 7 eth0 module problems
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:51:00 -0600

Doug Angus wrote:

> I've just installed RH 7 and everything seems fine except for the fact
> that my ethernet connection fails.  I keep on getting "Finding module
> dependencies: depmod: can't open /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep for
> writing".  I've have 2.2.16(? can't remember rest) but not 2.2.14-5.0.
> Has anyone experienced anything remotely similar.
>
> I've re-upgraded several times and downloaded different iso files.  I've
> attempted to link 2.2.14.5 to 2.2.16 with no success either.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

You probably have a symbolic link named module-info in /boot.
See what it points to.  It should point to module-info--2.2.16-22
or something similar, also in /boot.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux installation
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:54:36 -0600

Eugene Fetbroyt wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> On my computer I have 2 hard drivers: first for windows and it contains
> linux installation files, second is empty and I want install linux on it.
> Is it possible create start up disk which load *.img from first HD.
>
> If it is possible let me know
>
> Many thanks
> Eugene

Normally, you use rawrite.exe to make an installation boot floppy.
All this should be explained in the documentation that comes with
the distribution.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: VM: killing process - box freezes
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 17:01:20 GMT

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 10:12:45 -0000,  Dorothea Mücke-Herzberg
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Thank you for the hint about memory usage. I had now a look
>at it and this time I was even looking when it happened. Just
>shortly before I did a top and got:
>Mem:  130660K av 127732K used   2264K free
>Swap: 257032K av    500K used 256532K free
>
>Just a second before it froze swap usage increased to 1120K.
>I am confused now. Swap wasn't hardly touched.
>Also, this time there was nothing in the /var/log/messages file.
>Weird, any ideas?

Random thoughts. The kernel does have a mechanism for killing process in
an OOM (Out Of Memory) situation. This is to keep the machine from
crashing. This logs the processes that are killed, and is what you saw
before. The above would seem to be something different, though possibly
they are related. Maybe a bad swap partition? Try re-doing it 'mkswap'.

Still possible there are two separate problems. The OOM killer would
have logged something. You might also try a different (newer?) kernel,
to see if it is kernel related too.

--
Hal B

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: w3cam, permissions for /dev/video
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:55:08 GMT

I'm trying to get the w3cam software working on my server.

What permissions and ownership attributes does /dev/video need for
w3cam.cgi (which uses vidcat, I think).  When I browse to the demo.html
page, w3cam.cgi starts up but is unable to obtain an image (but the rest
of the page renders) and I'm not sure how to debug this.  The first
thing I can think of is a permissions problem.

Right now, my /dev/video looks like:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root   6 Nov  4 18:29 /dev/video -> video0

Will an apache cgi process be able to read from /dev/video?

Any advice?

Thanks,
Steve

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: meditech terminal session under linux
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:48:01 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: anyone have experiences setting up sessions to Magic server under
: linux?  currently using windows Meditech client.  please advise.

No, but I'd like to know how to do it for future considerations. Please
tell us what the trouble is... is it a "simple" terminal type problem, or
something more fundamental?

Fred

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

------------------------------

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI Model CT4810?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:44:18 GMT

John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> is a plug'n'pray card you may need to fool with isapnptools by hand
:> if sndconfig doesn't do the trick.

: We must be talking about 2 different cards..mine is a PCI not ISA.  The es1371
: configuration doesn't work for me.

Nope, it is PCI as is yours. But it's also plug'n'pray, and unless you've
got a 2.4.x kernel, isapnp is the only way I know of to handle those things.

I had previously used a different sound card which I set up by hand a couple
years earlier and used isapnp. When I pulled it out and put in the Ensoniq
I simply ran sndconfig and it found it without trouble. I haven't changed
the isapnp config settings, I have assumed that they are still in effect
and are used to set up the existing card too.

Check out the man pages for isapnp, isapnp.conf, pnpdump. I'm not any
sort of guru, but I have made it work by persistence.

Fred
 .----    Fred Smith    /
( /__  ,__.   __   __ /  __   : /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/    /  (__ (___ (__(_ (___ / :__                                 781-438-5471
================================ Jude 1:24,25 =================================

------------------------------

From: Henry_Barta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us! Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: 18 Nov 2000 17:24:33 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Christopher Friesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is not a driver issue, but rather a configuration issue.  I have
> had this exact problem, but for the life of me I can't remember what it
> was.

    Please keep racking your brain!

> Some possibilities:
> -DNS isn't working properly and ftp/telnet are blocking on hostname
> lookup

    No DNS on my local LAN. (/etc/hosts) In any case, telnet from
    other hosts works. Destination is by IP address and works with
    the old card and not the new.

> -the extra "lo" interface when comparing the old to the new outputs from
> ifconfig is causing problems

    The difference between 'ifconfig' and 'ifconfig eth0', I should
    be more consistent.

> -can you telnet to localhost and 127.0.0.1? if not, this further points
> to a configuration problem

    Yes, both work.

    I put the old card back in to verify that I had not accidentally
    changed something in the configuration during the upgrade. It
    came up and worked fine, however, it is working with the tulip
    driver that came stock with the 2.2.17 kernel. I tried the old
    card with the new tulip driver (the one downloaded from Donald
    Becker's site) and it did not work. But I suppose that is not
    the first time the newer driver did not maintain backward
    compatability, since the kernel distro already has three tulip
    drivers, including old_tulip.c.

    So... I'm still wondering about some sort of 'disconnect'
    between the driver and the rest fo the TCP/IP stack. I'm guessing
    that ICMP messages are replied to at a lower level and perhaps
    even in the driver itself while other messages need to reach
    higher levels in the stack. Recall that when I try an outbound
    telnet or ftp connection, I see the Rx packet count going up
    (and can see corresponding activity on the xmit LEDs on my
    hub). It appears as if the target host is trying to respond,
    but the response is falling on 'deaf ears'.

    thanks,
    hank

--
Hank Barta                            White Oak Software Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)

------------------------------

From: "Flej Ling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: libXpm needed?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:51:40 -0800

I am preparing PHP4 to be used with my Apache webserver, but I get the
following message while running "./configure" from within the PHP source
directory where I untarred it:

Checking for libXpm (needed by gd1.8+) ... no

Yet when I do a "locate libXpm" I get the following:

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.10
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libXpm.so.4.9
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libXpm.so.4

Does this mean that I have libXpm installed but PHP can't find it? Do I need
to copy it somewhere else so PHP can find it?Also, what is libXpm? Is it
necessary for PHP?

Thanks,

F. Ling

------------------------------

From: "Flej Ling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:52:14 -0800

Cool!

news:8v6693$em3$07$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: libXpm needed?
Date: 18 Nov 2000 18:19:53 GMT

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:51:40 -0800, Flej Ling wrote:
>I am preparing PHP4 to be used with my Apache webserver, but I get the
>following message while running "./configure" from within the PHP source
>directory where I untarred it:
>
>Checking for libXpm (needed by gd1.8+) ... no
>Yet when I do a "locate libXpm" I get the following:
>/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.10
>/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4
>/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libXpm.so.4.9
>/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libXpm.so.4
>
>Does this mean that I have libXpm installed but PHP can't find it? Do I need
>to copy it somewhere else so PHP can find it?Also, what is libXpm? Is it
>necessary for PHP?

gd is a set of modules that perform graphics drawing operations; you can
use gd functions from within PHP to dynamically create images.  It's
certainly not required for the rest of PHP, and if you don't need it,
I'm sure you can run configure with --without-gd or something similar.
configure --help can be your friend here.

The other possibility is that your libXpm is too old, and instead of
giving an error like "libXpm too old", the configure script says "can't
find library".  This bit me a couple of days ago when I tried to install
GNUcash and it kept saying "can't find libxml" when it meant "libxml
is too old, update it".  Anyway, libXpm is the X pixmap library, and I
have version 4.11 sitting around on my system.  I last updated the X
libraries sometime in May.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "John D. Peedle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bringing eth0 up question
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 18:30:08 -0000

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8tmome$r55$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> root@machine# /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart
>
> will kill it and bring it back up
>
> --Dave

Unless you're running SuSE in which case you want
root@machine# /sbin.init.d/network restart

or you could just pump back the IP address after ifconfig if Redhat

--
John D. Peedle
RHCE - so I'm biased

------------------------------

From: Doug Angus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 14:44:23 -0500

Leonard Evens wrote:

> Doug Angus wrote:
> >
> > I've just installed RH 7 and everything seems fine except for the fact
> > that my ethernet connection fails.  I keep on getting "Finding module
> > dependencies: depmod: can't open /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep for
> > writing".  I've have 2.2.16(? can't remember rest) but not 2.2.14-5.0.
> > Has anyone experienced anything remotely similar.
> >
> > I've re-upgraded several times and downloaded different iso files.  I've
> > attempted to link 2.2.14.5 to 2.2.16 with no success either.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Doug
>
> You probably have a symbolic link named module-info in /boot.
> See what it points to.  It should point to module-info--2.2.16-22
> or something similar, also in /boot.
>
> --
>
> Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537
> Dept. of Mathematics, Northwestern Univ., Evanston, IL 60208

That doesn't seem to be the problem - the links all point in the right
direction.  I've somehow managed to get rid of the above problem though.  I
still can't get the eth connection though.  On boot-up I get "Bringing up
eth0 initialization.  Delaying eth0 initialization"??

I'm not quite sure what's going on.

Doug