Linux-Misc Digest #377, Volume #26               Thu, 23 Nov 00 21:13:01 EST

Contents:
  Re: problem with tcsh and bksp key ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: bttv ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Hard disk partition problem (rewrite to make it understandable) ("David ..")
  Re: Need help:Speak Freely-7.1 (Santiago Romero)
  Re: cron output redirection - MORE (Wayne Pollock)
  Re: gcc-2.96 to gcc-2.95
  Re: Best used box to purchase for linux system (Edward Rosten)
  Re: gcc-2.96 to gcc-2.95 (Andreas Schweitzer)
  linux on an SGI indigo ("Nicolas Rubin")
  linux on an SGI indigo ("Nicolas Rubin")
  Re: unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile (Otto Wyss)
  Re: Console fonts have changed to being unreadable :) (Kyle)
  Re: What to do when the console gets garbled (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: What to do when the console gets garbled (Des Whewell)
  New To Linux - Distributions ("Mike")
  Re: New To Linux - Distributions (Hugh Lawson)
  Re: New To Linux - Distributions (Smitty)
  Re: shutdown vs halt (Anastis)
  Re: Hard disk partition problem (rewrite to make it understandabl ("Chia Ah Tee,
Joseph")
  Re: Error - No such pid? ("Lamar Thomas")
  Re: Hard disk partition problem (rewrite to make it understandabl ("Chia Ah Tee,
Joseph")
  Ftp Lockup
  Re: Which Linux to try? ("Patrick Bartek")
  Re: need to figure out why kernel does not boot (David Pace)

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem with tcsh and bksp key
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 21:44:31 +0100

Jean-Yves Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> shell line command, I can erase characters using this key.
> But if I start, say, ftp and make a mistake on the ftp command
> line, my bksp doesn't work at all and garbage is generated on
> the screen

It's ftp's affair. Use a client with the readline libs in. Like ncftp.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bttv
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 21:45:07 +0100

Andrew Rounds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Has anyone else had problems with their BT848 (Miro) TV card under Mandrake
> 7.2? It worked perfectly on 7.1, but since my upgrade I get sound from the
> card, but no video. I am at a complete loss how to work out what the
> problem is and was hoping that someone has already solved it and can point

It's called "the kernel has changed".

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard disk partition problem (rewrite to make it understandable)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:18:01 -0600

"Chia Ah Tee, Joseph" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was trying to install linux on the 540mb hard disk in my 486 DX2-66
> but after following the on screen dialogs
> about hardware and partition to choose and make. And I have done that as
> requested onscreen. Next while it can't detect or install my cdrom drive
> I decided to quit the installation.  Then I reboot and went to CMOS to
> check for any change.
> I find that the Bios detect it as 521mb.
> However the fdisk see my partition size as 12mb. And what happen to the
> 516mb of the partition.
> My hard disk has a Ms-Dos 6.22 on it. My question is whether Fdisk can
> see Linux partition. And whether Linux
> can changed the cylinder size.
> And what should i do to install linux or get back my hard disk,s lost
> partition.
> I would appreciate any help or advice.
>
> Thank you
>
> Joseph

With that small of hard drive I would recommend that you dedicate the
whole drive to linux. It is not large enough to try and install
everything included with most distributions. Though it is large enough
to install linux on. I have linux on a 341MB hdrive on an old 486 DX2-50
w/8MB RAM and runs X though it is slow and I don't use Gnome or KDE.

I would remove all of the linux partitions then remove all the DOS
partitions and then re-install linux you will make all the linux
partitions during the installation.

To uninstall from a running linux system do the following.

       boot into linux.
       login as root
       /sbin/lilo -u
       fdisk /dev/hda    # or sda depending on your hard drive.
       delete all linux partitions
       quit and save changes
       reboot with a DOS/windoz boot disk.
       enter:  fdisk /MBR

You will need to format the partition or drive back to a DOS/windows
format

Using the installation boot disk

    Use the installation boot disk to boot the system and follow through
the install up to the partitioning section. Delete all linux
partitions and then choose the "Back" button and save the changes when
asked. Then reboot the system with a windows boot disk
and do a:

fdisk /MBR

You will have to format the disk backto the DOS format.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more work units than: 98.852% of seti users +/- 0.01%.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Santiago Romero)
Crossposted-To: es.comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc,es.comp.misc
Subject: Re: Need help:Speak Freely-7.1
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 21:45:44 +0100

El Thu, 23 Nov 2000 18:01:20 +0100, Edu escribió:
>Anybody could tell me which are the flags or the configuration that I
>need to compile the source of speak_freely-7.1 ?? My OS is a Linux
>RedHat 6.2 ona PC Pentium.
>
>I tried to run xspeakfree between two equal computers, but when I open
>the microphone, I can only hear annoying noise and no voice.

 descargalo ya en formato RPM compilado de rpmfind.net

 salu2!

--
Documentation is like sex: when is good, it's very very good,
and when it's bad is better than nothing.

------------------------------

From: Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cron output redirection - MORE
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 16:32:41 -0500

Are you editing the crontab file directly?  Then you need to
restart cron daemon so it knows about the change.

It is better to use the "crontab -e" command to edit your crontab
file.

-Wayne Pollock

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gcc-2.96 to gcc-2.95
Date: 23 Nov 2000 22:24:03 GMT

Doug Angus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm having difficulty with gcc-2.96.  Some of which I've been able to
> sort out but other out of my league.  For instance, I keep getting these
> warning messages when compiling fortran programs:

I assume you are using RH7, right?  A similar problem has caused me headaches too.
It turns out (at least so I'm told) that gcc 2.96 is not even an official GNU
release currently.  Supposedly you can't even recompile your kernel easily with
gcc2.96.  I guess RH realized this problem just before they released their distro.
The good
news is, if you are using RH7, you do not have to mess with rpm-i'ng any older packages
because 2.95 should already be installed under the inconspicuous name "kgcc".

Try changing your makefiles to use kgcc instead of gcc and see if that works.

Regards,  Kyle

------------------------------

From: Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Best used box to purchase for linux system
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:31:09 +0000

James Hutchins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd appreciate opinions on the pros and cons of purchasing (on Ebay) a
> used Intel, Sun, or Silicon Graphics (or ?) box to run Linux. I want to
> learn/program OpenGL, but know most graphics cards now for all machines
> support it. What other factors matter among the different machines?
>
> Thanks
> --J

If you're buying an SGI, and want to learn OpenGL, why not leave IRIX
on?

Just a question.

Oh and if anyone else reads this, is there a good 3D/ OpenGL FAQ for
Linux?

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold | Edward
Rosten

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Schweitzer)
Date: 23 Nov 2000 22:40:38 GMT

In article <8vk5e3$ij1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Doug Angus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I'm having difficulty with gcc-2.96.  Some of which I've been able to
>
>I assume you are using RH7, right?  A similar problem has caused me headaches too.
>It turns out (at least so I'm told) that gcc 2.96 is not even an official GNU

If you go to the GCC home page http://gcc.gnu.org you will find a notice
of that sort.

Andreas

--
                       Andreas Schweitzer
             http://dilbert.physast.uga.edu/~andy/

------------------------------

From: "Nicolas Rubin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux on an SGI indigo
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:46:35 +0100

Hi,

I have an SGI indigo with Mips R4400 Processor

Which linux can i install on this hardware ?

Do you now where can I find an ISO image for download ?

Thanks in advance

Nicolas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Otto Wyss)
Subject: Re: unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:53:33 +0100

> This is where dozens of .o files are reported as  having unresolved symbol(s).
> I can boot from the new kernel on disk, but nothing that was compiled as
> a module works.

The unresolved symbol(s) appear after a compilation of the kernel when
the new config has changed some parts from module to be included in
kernel. Then some modules where still installed but not used anymore.
You can remove the offending modules without loosing functionality (move
them to a save location). See under /lib/modules/...

O. Wyss

------------------------------

From: Kyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Console fonts have changed to being unreadable :)
Date: 23 Nov 2000 23:13:42 GMT

Tim Banner <tim.banner*NOSPAM*@btinternet.com> wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
>> > I did a "cat" on a database file, and for some reason my console fonts
>> > have changed to a symbol set.
>>
>> Type reset and hit enter.

If this does not reset the font for you (sometimes it doesn't work for me), there is
a trick that I use.  It is a bit of a hack, and is not respectable, but you can type
"cat /bin/ls | more" (or any other binary that contains strings)
then hit the space bar a couple of times to scan through the
gibberish.  When "more" stops in an area of the binary file that contains strings,
the font will magically change back to normal.  Then type "q" to get out of there.

-Kyle

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What to do when the console gets garbled
Date: 23 Nov 2000 14:05:13 -0900

Des Whewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Sometimes I will accidently 'more' a binary file to the screen, which
>puts the console into gobbledy-gook mode - I assume a weird font has
>been selected.
>
>How do I reverse the process? Re-booting the box seems a little bit
>over the top :-)

Reboot?  You're kidding I hope...

There are several ways to restore sanity to a terminal.  One
that often works, but might not too, is typing in "reset" and
hitting return.  Another is to have the following alias in your
profile (~/.bashrc or whatever place is appropriate, and
adjusted to match the size parameters that you usually use),

alias sane='echo -e "\\033c";tput is2;stty sane line 1 rows 30 columns 100'

and then use the command "sane" to restore your terminal.  This
has the problem that it makes a few assumptions...  such as the
size of the terminal screen.

Another way to generate a command that will restore a terminal to
preset conditions is to use the output of "stty -g", which will
look something like

500:5:bd:8a3b:3:1c:7f:15:4:0:1:0:11:13:1a:0:12:f:17:16:0:0:73

as a single argument to an stty command.  Do "stty -g > termset"
and then edit file to make it a shell script which runs stty,

#!/bin/bash
stty 500:5:bd:8a3b:3:1c:7f:15:4:0:1:0:11:13:1a:0:12:f:17:16:0:0:73

and use "chmod 755 termset" to make it executable.  That terminal
may be reset with the command "termset".

Of course one can always switch to a different terminal, virtual
console, or Xterm and use ps to figure out which shell is providing
the command line for that terminal...  and kill it.  But that is
almost as crude as rebooting.

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: Des Whewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:11:21 +0000

On 23 Nov 2000 14:05:13 -0900, Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Des Whewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Sometimes I will accidently 'more' a binary file to the screen, which
>>puts the console into gobbledy-gook mode - I assume a weird font has
>>been selected.
>>
>>How do I reverse the process? Re-booting the box seems a little bit
>>over the top :-)
>
>Reboot?  You're kidding I hope...

Well, on a dark night, when I'm too tired to search the man pages, it
has been known......cringe.  :-)

>There are several ways to restore sanity to a terminal.  One
>that often works, but might not too, is typing in "reset" and

That was a heck of a reply, Floyd. I shall go away and experiment.

Thanks for your suggestions.

--
Cheers, Des

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: New To Linux - Distributions
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:59:26 GMT

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about downloading and installing Linux for the first time.  I
am very familiar with Windows/DOS environments but from what I have
heard/seen of Linux so far I have a feeling I am going to be pretty lost,
but I think I would like to try it any way.

I have found huge lists of Linux Distributions, and I am not sure which one
to get.  Bascially I use my computer for Windows based games (such as Red
Alert 1/2, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, C&C Tiberian Sun, and a few other
DirectX and OpenGL based games) and the only application I use heavily is
Microsoft Office 2000.  Can I run these things in a particular Linux
distribtion, if so which one?

I have an Athlon 700, 256 RAM, Geforce 2 GTS system as well.

Can any one recommend a distribution for me?  Prefereably one that is
novice-medium level of "difficulty" too...

Thanks!

Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hugh Lawson)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: New To Linux - Distributions
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:36:43 GMT

In article <ybiT5.13365$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I am thinking about downloading and installing Linux for the first time.  I
>am very familiar with Windows/DOS environments but from what I have
>heard/seen of Linux so far I have a feeling I am going to be pretty lost,
>but I think I would like to try it any way.

I installed Linux for the first time about four years ago, cold, without
having ever even met a Linux user.  It was RedHat 4.2, but I have
played around with Suse, Slackware, Mandrake, and am presently using
Debian.  Here is what I recommend.

Purchase a CD.  You can get them cheap from www.cheapbytes.com and other
sources.

Get a book.  Now you can get books specific to distributions.  Usually
they have a CD, so if you look carefully you can get CD and book in one
step.

If you have Partition Magic, it may be a big help.  I had it.

I studied for about eight hours before attempting the install.  It won't
be wasted time. If you want to try skipping the studying, then I'd
recommend Mandrake.

--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina

From: Smitty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:49:38 -0500

Mike wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am thinking about downloading and installing Linux for the first time.  I
> am very familiar with Windows/DOS environments but from what I have
> heard/seen of Linux so far I have a feeling I am going to be pretty lost,
> but I think I would like to try it any way.
>
> I have found huge lists of Linux Distributions, and I am not sure which one
> to get.  Bascially I use my computer for Windows based games (such as Red
> Alert 1/2, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, C&C Tiberian Sun, and a few other
> DirectX and OpenGL based games) and the only application I use heavily is
> Microsoft Office 2000.  Can I run these things in a particular Linux
> distribtion, if so which one?
>
> I have an Athlon 700, 256 RAM, Geforce 2 GTS system as well.
>
> Can any one recommend a distribution for me?  Prefereably one that is
> novice-medium level of "difficulty" too...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike
Try Caldera Linux e-desktop and buy it to get installation support.
Smitty

------------------------------

From: Anastis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: shutdown vs halt
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:57 +0200

well...
"shutdown -h now" (without the quotes of course) should work fine.
A little bit late but it may still be useful.
Anastis

------------------------------

From: "Chia Ah Tee, Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard disk partition problem (rewrite to make it understandabl
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 08:56:46 +0800

Mr David,

Thank you for the information. I appreciate that and I will try it.
Thank again and have a nice day.

Joseph Chia

Posted At: Friday, November 24, 2000 5:18 AM
Posted To: misc
Conversation: Hard disk partition problem (rewrite to make it
understandable)
Subject: Re: Hard disk partition problem (rewrite to make it
understandable)

From: "Lamar Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Error - No such pid?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 01:10:38 GMT

I did that and got the same errors!  That why I just re-installed.  (It's
not a production system).

Lamar

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:jFgS5.1396$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Thanks Mike,
>
> > Tell me what you think.  When I installed RH Linux 6.2 using the GUI I
> > forgot to add an IP address and had it set to DHCP.  However, there is
not
> > DHCP server on my network and my NIC would start up in an inactive state
and
> > I would not have any Web access.  After I got Linux up and running I
entered
> > a static IP address and actived my NIC and all was fine.  That is until
> > went to shutdown my system and that's when I got the below error msg.
about

------------------------------

From: "Chia Ah Tee, Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 08:57:50 +0800

Thank you Shane.

Joseph Chia

Posted At: Friday, November 24, 2000 12:42 AM
Posted To: misc
Conversation: Hard disk partition problem (rewrite to make it
understandable)
understandable)

Had somewhat the same problem... DOS fdisk won't see a ext2 partition...
If
you can boot into linux, use the fdisk command there to alter or delete
your
ext2 partitions.  Do a man on fdisk and read... there's a more prefered
fdisking program usually... just can't remember what...

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ftp Lockup
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 01:30:02 -0000

I have a FTP server running under linux-mandrake 7.1- Whenever I run
a "ls" command, it will give me the message "200 Port Command Successful."
then simply stop. I can change directory and navigate, it seems to only
happen when I'm trying to download or run a directory listing. Does any
know how to fix this? Thanks, Mike.

From: "Patrick Bartek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Nov 2000 15:03:10 +0800
Subject: Re: Which Linux to try?

> I am planning to try out Linux and have a partition available to install
> it into.
> I have copies of              Corel Linux
>                                        Red Hat 6.2
>                             and      Caldera Open Linux 1.3.
> I would welcome suggestions of which of these three would be the best to
> go for.  I have a fair amount of computer experience but none with Linux
> [or Unix].

I would go with Caldera, but I found Mandrake 7.0 quite easy to
install and use, although it did make a couple of mistakes with
setting up LILO to boot multiple OSs off 2 hard drives.  I've held off
upgrading to versions 7.1 or 2: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
philosophy.

I went to the Linux section at Comdex 2000 in Las Vegas this past
week, and came across easyLinux.  Had a long chat with them.  It is
designed for the home/small business user, either simple, stand-alone
desktop or small network.  Almost all of the admin duties --
mounting/unmounting file systems & hardware, configuring, etc. -- can
be done thru X-Window utilities that they wrote and that automatically
attach themselves in KDE's config utility.

--
Patrick Bartek
NoLife Polymath group

                      http://www.usenet.com

From: David Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: need to figure out why kernel does not boot
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 01:52:12 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm currently running redHat linux 6.2. I would like to
>  run linux 2.3.99-pre7 instead. I configured the kernel
>  parameters and built the os from the source code, but
>  the system does not boot. Unfortunately, I can't figure
>  out what caused the problem because the info flies off
>  the screen too fast. What's left on the screen are a bunch
>  of numbers followed by the following lines:
>
>  Code: 8b 56 1c 89 d0 85 d2 7d 06 8d 82 ff 7f 00 00 25 00 25 00 00 ff ff
>
>  Aiee, killing interrupt handler
>  Kernel panic: Attempted to kill idle task!
>  In interrupt handler - not syncing
>
>  When I reboot with my old redHat kernel, I don't find any
>  of the earlier boot messages in any of the files in /var/log.
>  How do I log those messages? Alternately, is there any other way to
>  capture these messages and figure out what is causing the panic?
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Try reducing the number of kernel options with the
make menuconfig
menu and recompile.

I have had success by doing that because some drivers
might be conflicting or the kernel might be too big
with too many options.

--
David Pace - Free commodity/stock graphing software
and Linux links at http://www.daveware.com