  Re: Multiple SCSI controller cards (Robert Heller)

From: "Xavier Neys" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.lang.java.databases,comp.databases.informix,comp.databases.oracle.server,comp.databases.sybase,linux.redhat.misc,linux.postgres,comp.databases.pick
Subject: Re: Databases in Linux (Redhat)
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 12:31:28 +0100

If you want the Oracle features like Triggers/Stored Procedures,
Integrity/Foreign Key Constraints, Transactions, Outer Joins, JDBC/ODBC
Drivers, C/C++ Pre-Processor for Embedded SQL, Perl and Python Access and
many more for the price of PostqreSql (i.e. FREE) look no further than SAP
DB.
SAP recently released its RDBMS in open source.

Check http://www.sap.com/solutions/technology/sapdb/

Here is an extract of SAP site

SAP DB is an open, SQL-based, relational database management system that
provides high availability and performance scaling from small to very large
implementations.
In addition, SAP DB goes beyond relational database technology by offering
object orientation as well as support for managing unstructured data. It
supports open standards including SQL, JDBC and ODBC; access from Perl and
Python; and HTTP-based services with HTML or XML content.
SAP DB is platform independent, so users can deploy it for a wide array of
projects.
Since 1994, the SAP e-Business Solution is available on SAP DB technology.
Today SAP DB is being used by nearly 800 customers.

You may also want to go directly to the FAQ page
http://www.sap.com/solutions/technology/sapdb/

I have no interest in the SAP company but when such a major company decides
to release such a great piece of software in open source, I believe the
Linux community should support them.

Xavier Neys.

PS: 800 SAP customers mean thousands of users :-)

PPS: I am a newbie to Linux but have years of experience with Oracle/Unix. I
still need to get my linux box up and running, than test this SAP DB and
compare it with Oracle. This explains why I posted this with Outlook. Please
forgive me :-)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "David Cunningham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: playing video shuts down ppp
Date: 25 Nov 2000 12:03:35 GMT

Are you using a "winmodem"?  Certain kinds of modems lack a built in UART
chip.  The analog wave conversion ADC and UART functions are handed over to
the drivers for the modem.  Unfortunately this forces the CPU to perform
this conversion so that you can send and receive data over the modem.  Mpeg
video is a *very* CPU intensive operation.  It's possible that the MPEG
decompression burns up so much CPU time that there's precious little CPU
left over to decode the modem signals so modem communications slow way down.
This used to happen to me.  If you can confirm you are in fact running a
winmodem, well you'll really need to upgrade your modem to fix this issue.

--
<|>/\\/|<|>

------------------------------

From: "David Cunningham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: bash scripting question
Date: 25 Nov 2000 12:16:49 GMT

Here's a more generic solution to your problem.  This script can assign any
pid to a variable.  It works by looking for the first pid by the name
specified and then storing that pid in a local variable.

#!/bin/sh

PROCNAME="xchat"

PID=`ps -ef | grep -i $PROCNAME | grep -v grep | awk {'print $2'} | head -1`
echo "The pid for $PROCNAME is $PID"

You'll probably have to tweak this to your specific needs but the idea
behind the script should be evident.  If it fails on your system, break down
the pipeline into smaller chunks and verify each piece operates as expected.

--
<|>/\\/|<|>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Need a user password
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 12:28:05 +0000

Jan Schaumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> * "Bradley J. Bartram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Hello everybody;
>>
>> I'm working on one of my servers and I have a user account which I need
>> to access but have forgotten its password.  I'm the root user so how can
>> I find this users password?

> If you're root - give the user a new password that you can remember.
> AFAIK, you can't get the current password for a user without
> *significant* effort.

You could always ASK the user...
:)
I don't understand why the password is needed in the first place.

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: No space left on device with /var filesystem
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 12:26:56 +0000

Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> What do you have in there that takes up all the space? Some of it may
>> be unnecessary and could be removed.

> This seems correct. Imagine the problem is occurring *twice*: the
> first fills 50% or so of /var, but only the second time you actually
> see the error... might be worth a look.

Isn't it also possibly not a disk SPACE problem, but a limited INODE
problem?

var is one of the filesystems that does tend to store LOTS of small files,
so it seems likely that he may be running out of inodes rather than disk
space itself...

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |                                                 |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
From: Manfred Bartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 13:16:24 GMT

"David Cunningham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > i need to execute a process and assign it's pid to a variable.
> > eg. if i run xchat, say, and it has pid 1234, how can i store this
> > value in a variable when the process begins execution?

> Here's a more generic solution to your problem.  This script can assign any
> pid to a variable.  It works by looking for the first pid by the name
> specified and then storing that pid in a local variable.
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> PROCNAME="xchat"
>
> PID=`ps -ef | grep -i $PROCNAME | grep -v grep | awk {'print $2'} | head -1`
> echo "The pid for $PROCNAME is $PID"

As you say:
  ``it works by looking for the _first_ pid by the name specified...''

The only problem is if you have multiple instances of the same
program, then it won't work.

And instead of stringing all those commands together, you could use
the admittedly little known ``pidof''.  E.g.:

$ pidof xchat
12033

Same caveat as before, it will not work properly if you have multiple
instances of the same program.

--
Manfred

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: true type fonts
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 13:34:39 GMT

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/index.html

--
Hal B

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: adding users...
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 14:05:03 GMT

>On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:58:47 GMT, Dustin Puryear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Gone are the days of the manpage.. anyway, it's simple:
>>
>>#!/bin/sh
>>
>>for user in `cat userlist`; do
>>    useradd $user
>>    echo "password" | passwd --stdin $user
>>done

>Why don't you edify the world and tell us what variety of Unix-like
>system has a passwd command with --stdin option.

>Solaris doesn't, Linux doesn't.

passwd 0.64.1, which works with Linux-PAM, does. Also, I noticed you
conveniently forgot to include the end of the message, referring the
poster to chpasswd and chsh, which also could be used to solve his problem.
How quaint.

I added my original reply to the end of this message. Have a nice day.

Regards, Dustin

From: Dave Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modelines for SVGA/Voodoo3 ?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 09:25:49 -0500

Greetings:

  I have a Voodoo3 installed and it works beautifully under XFree86
4.01. However, my SVGA apps are all screwed up, mainly because I haven't
set modelines in the libvga config file. Since there are no modelines in
the current XF86Config, how do I find the correct settings for
libvga.config ? I seem to recall a utility for this purpose but I've not
found anything yet. TIA !

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: transfering processes to different tty's
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 14:57:50 GMT

Hi all
I hope someone can help me with this.
I have a process running on a terminal.  Is there any way to transfer that
process to a different terminal without interupting its processing?

I know I can do this using screen, but I forgot to start screen before I started the
program running.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards Nick

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multiple SCSI controller cards
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 15:06:59 -0000

  "Scott M. Navarre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Fri, 24 Nov 2000 23:38:49 GMT, wrote :

"MN> Hello,
"MN>
"MN>   (Before continuing, it may be important to know that my motherbaord has an
"MN> onboard adaptec AIC7xxx controller which controls my primary hardrive, tape,
"MN> and CD drive - everything there works fine)
"MN>
"MN>   I am trying to add two Adaptec AHA1740 SCSI EISA controller cards to my
"MN> system.  I have set the cards through the EISA setup (bootable configuration
"MN> disk that came with system) as follows:
"MN>
"MN> EISA slot #3:
"MN>     Interface Mode: Enhanced Mode
"MN>     I/O Port Definition: Disabled (Enhanced Mode)
"MN>     DMA Channel Definition: Disabled (Enhanced Mode)
"MN>     Host Adapter BIOS: Enabled @ Base Address C800H
"MN>     SCSI Device Configuration: Enhanced mode configuration
"MN>
"MN> EISA slot #4:
"MN>     Host Adapter BIOS: Enabled @ Base Address CC00H
"MN>     SCSI Device Configuration: Enhanced mode configuration
"MN>
"MN>   I can only use the above addresses for the host adapter BIOSes since I
"MN> also have a Specialix RIO card in the system which apparently uses all of
"MN> the DXXXH address space - the configuration program will not let me use any
"MN> other addresses for my SCSI controllers other than the ones shown above.
"MN>
"MN>   When the machine boots up, I see both controller's BIOSes and the drives
"MN> connected to them come up (I have 6 identical drives - 3 on each
"MN> controller):
"MN>
"MN> .Adaptec AHA-1740 BIOS v1.40
"MN> .Copyright 1992 Adaptec, Inc.
"MN> .[Enhanced Mode]
"MN> .
"MN> .Target 0 - QUANTUM FIREBALL540S          - Drive D: (81h)
"MN> .Target 1 - QUANTUM FIREBALL540S
"MN> .Target 2 - QUANTUM FIREBALL540S
"MN> .
"MN> .Adaptec AHA-1740 BIOS v1.40
"MN> .Copyright 1992 Adaptec, Inc.
"MN> .[Enhanced Mode]
"MN> .
"MN> .Target 0 - QUANTUM FIREBALL540S
"MN> .Target 1 - QUANTUM FIREBALL540S
"MN> .Target 2 - QUANTUM FIREBALL540S
"MN>
"MN>   Then (on a virgin RH7.0 install) I invoke the command:
"MN> 'insmod /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/scsi/aha1740.o'
"MN> and get the following messages:
"MN>
"MN> .Configuring aha174x at IO:3c80, IRQ 11
"MN> .aha174x: Extended translation disabled.
"MN> .Configuring aha174x at IO:4c80, IRQ 11
"MN> .aha174x: Extended translation disabled.
"MN> .Unable to allocate IRQ for adaptec controller.
"MN> .scsi1 : Adaptec 174x (EISA)
"MN> .scsi : 2 hosts.
"MN> .    Vendor: QUANTUM    Model: FIREBALL540S    Rev: 1Q04
"MN> .    Type: Direct-Access                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
"MN> .Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
"MN> .    Vendor: QUANTUM    Model: FIREBALL540S    Rev: 1Q04
"MN> .    Type: Direct-Access                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
"MN> .Detected scsi disk sdc at scsi1, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
"MN> .    Vendor: QUANTUM    Model: FIREBALL540S    Rev: 1Q04
"MN> .    Type: Direct-Access                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
"MN> .Detected scsi disk sdd at scsi1, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
"MN> .SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector=512 bytes. Sectors= 1065235 [520 MB] [0.5 GB]
"MN> . sdb: unknown partition table
"MN> .SCSI device sdc: hdwr sector=512 bytes. Sectors= 1065235 [520 MB] [0.5 GB]
"MN> . sdc: unknown partition table
"MN> .SCSI device sdd: hdwr sector=512 bytes. Sectors= 1065235 [520 MB] [0.5 GB]
"MN> . sdd: unknown partition table
"MN>
"MN>   I was then able to 'fdisk' these three devices and setup the partition
"MN> tables on these drives.  So, now the above "unknown partition table" lines
"MN> read:
"MN>
"MN> . sdb: sdb1
"MN> . sdc: sdc1
"MN> . sdd: sdd1
"MN>
"MN>   So, now my questions are these:
"MN> 1)  What does "Extended translation disabled" mean above, and is it a
"MN> problem?

This is not a problem for *Linux*.  If you were booting from these disks
and they were large enough to have more than 1024 cylinders, LILO would
be unhappy (unless they were partitioned to have a /boot or / partition
whole under the 1024 cylinder limit).  MS-DOS would be unhappy if the
disks were large.  Since none of this applies, this is no big deal.

"MN> 2)  Does the "unable to allocate IRQ for adaptec controller" refer to the
"MN> second controller that I am not able to access?  (which is shown above as
"MN> using the same IRQ as the first one - IRQ 11).  But, the EISA setup program
"MN> does not give IRQ choices for 'Enhanced Mode'...
"MN>
"MN>   As a note, these were working in the same box while running the SCO
"MN> Openserver O/S.  However, I had these cards set to 'Standard Mode' (instead
"MN> of 'Enhanced' - I read that Linux supports the AHA1740 in Enhanced Mode).
"MN> Therefore, on the SCO setup I had the IRQs set to 9 and 10, the I/O Port set
"MN> to 130H and 230H, the DMAs set to 7 and 6, and the adapter BIOSes disabled
"MN> (there was disk array software controlling these cards).  So, there were
"MN> enough IRQs before, and I have not added any other cards to the box since
"MN> switching to Linux... actually, I removed an AHA1740 card that used to
"MN> control the boot drive for SCO (the onboard AIC7xxx controller wasn't used
"MN> under the SCO configuration).

It appears that Linux will support ONE AHA1740 in Enhanced Mode, but
not two...  You should either set one (or both) cards to 'Standard Mode'
and use different IRQ's for the two cards...

"MN>
"MN>   Any help or direction on this would be highly appreciated.
"MN>
"MN> Thanks in advance!
"MN>
"MN> Scott Navarre
"MN>
"MN>
"MN>

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]