Linux-Misc Digest #397, Volume #26               Sun, 26 Nov 00 12:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: bttv ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: bttv
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 15:40:50 GMT

Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Andrew Rounds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> :> Andrew Rounds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> > Has anyone else had problems with their BT848 (Miro) TV card under
> :> > Mandrake 7.2? It worked perfectly on 7.1, but since my upgrade I get
> :> > sound from the card, but no video. I am at a complete loss how to work
> :> > out what the problem is and was hoping that someone has already solved
> :> > it and can point
> :>
> :> It's called "the kernel has changed".

> : I know the kernel has changed, but I don't know that that is the cause of
> : the problem. That's why I asked if anyone else had solved it or

> But nothing else can be the cause of the problem IF THE SAME DRIVERS
> ARE LOADED.

> Are they?

> : alternatively, if anyone could offer a suggestion as to how I can go about
> : working it out. I think I'm a bit more than a novice user, but this one has
> : got me stumped for now.

> But I already told you. Unchange your kernel.

> If the problem persists then you have eliminated the kernel (and its
> modules) as the source of the problem and you go on to try unchanging
> the application(s) you are using and/or possibly the module loading
> system.

> Here's what you need loaded for a working picture:

> tuner              1            1
> bttv               7            1 (autoclean)
> i2c                1    [tuner bttv]    2 (autoclean)
> videodev           1    [bttv]  2 (autoclean)

> That's under 2.0.36. Sorry, but I'm watching TV and can't reboot into
> 2.2 to tell you what it looks like there. Oh ... yes I can.

> bttv                   34704   0  (unused)
> videodev                2252   2  [bttv]
> tuner                   2156   1
> i2c                     3104   2  [bttv tuner]

> Surprise surprise. Kernel 2.2.15. Now you try.

Do you enjoy sounding like a prick?  Different modules *can* be needed
under different kernel versions...  For example, under 2.4.0-test11 I have:

tuner                   3248   1 (autoclean)
tvaudio                 7776   0 (autoclean) (unused)
msp3400                13168   1 (autoclean)
bttv                   54656   0 (unused)
i2c-algo-bit            7168   1 [bttv]
i2c-core               12048   0 [tuner tvaudio msp3400 bttv i2c-algo-bit]

Adam