Linux-Misc Digest #71, Volume #28                Sun, 10 Jun 01 05:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Problem with 'ls' (Floyd Davidson)
  Getting help in Linux ("" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  Re: Laptop umruesten (Raj Rijhwani)
  Re: Looking for small Linux distribution (David)
  Re: A plea to those posting questions ("jeff")
  Re: RH 7.1 Strangeness ("Jeff S")
  Re: hardware autodetection ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: ARP proxy - help needed ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Getting help in Linux ("Peter T. Breuer")
  RPM question (Lamar Thomas)
  Re: RPM question (Robert_L)
  Re: ARP proxy - help needed ("Jeff")
  problem with X? (Teke Tu)
  Re: Getting help in Linux ("" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  Re: Problem with 'ls' ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: /bin/login cannot be removed (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: System freezes. . .  What to check? ("D. Stimits")
  Re: A plea to those posting questions ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Getting help in Linux ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: A plea to those posting questions (Federico Bravo)
  Re: Help on NFS (Michael Heiming)
  wierd font when exiting KDE/GNOME (uzon)
  how to forbib telnet for an IP using RH 7.0 (tito)

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with 'ls'
Date: 09 Jun 2001 21:27:27 -0800

Phillip Geiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a directory with something like 30,000 or 40,000
>files in it.  I just need a simple text file with all of
>the filenames in it, but
>  ls * > files.txt
>returns the error
>  bash: /bin/ls: Argument list too long
>
>What can I do to avoid this, beyond splitting up the work
>by doing it a piece at a time, ie
>  ls a* > afiles.txt
>  ls b* > bfiles.txt
>
>Thanks.

What happens if you just do "ls > files.txt"?

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "<=oneway=>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Getting help in Linux
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:35:38 -0400

Is there anything in Linux similar to the NT help utility (Start->Help)? I
know about man pages, but one has to know almost exact name of an item in
order to use them. How does one find the name of the program in Linux just
by knowing some key words related to the functionality the program performs
(similar to NT help index tab) ?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raj Rijhwani)
Subject: Re: Laptop umruesten
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:14:34 +0100 (BST)

On Saturday, in article <9frmdc$j5$03$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Dennis Toelle" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > You'll have to excuse me answering in English.  I understand the
> > German (just about), but could not possibly write a useful answer.
>
> No problem, Iunderstand both languages.
>
> > If I understand you correctly, you have a 66MHz 80386 system, with
> > 3.5" floppy but no CDROM, operating under Windows 3.1.  You want to
> > load an internet capable version of Linux.
>
> That's it!
>
> > My suggestion is that you connect the machine serially to another
> > which is already internet capable or fitted with a CDROM drive,
> > and transfer an entire install set (overnight?) by Zmodem.
>
> Well I thougt about it, too, but which files will I need?

Well, if you were using Slackware, you'd need as a starter sets
A and N.  After that, you could possibly do the rest more directly
continuing the install over NFS (assuming the source machine is
capable of acting as an NFS server).  Even if you can't work directly,
you'll have FTP as a much faster option for transferring the other
disk sets you want to use.
--
Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                |  ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for small Linux distribution
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:13:27 GMT

Morten Skaarup Jensen wrote:

> I would like to install Linux on old machines, so I'm looking for a
> distribution not larger than about 50Mbytes.
>
> I would like to have X included and if possible, easy to install from
> scratch (not from another OS).
>
> At present I've looked on linuxlinks.com and at Micronix. The Micronix
> webpage doesn't work very well, so I'm having problems downloading (but it
> needs to install from DOS anyway).

Maybe peanut linux.

 ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/peanut/

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.233% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: Re: A plea to those posting questions
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:23:21 GMT

Don't want to start any trouble, but isn't the idea behind responding to
posts in the news groups; is that you actually reply to the groups and not
the individual posters?  That way anyone scanning can potentially benefit
from your responses (or tear you a new orifice ;-)  If you reply to the
group it does not matter if people put NoSpAm junk in their email addy.

cheers

------------------------------

From: "Jeff S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 7.1 Strangeness
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:26:34 -0600

I've discovered a workaround to that rp3 quirk.

Symptom: No visual indication that connection has been established, can't
kill ppp.

Solution: Quit rp3 then start it up again (you may have to go through the
motions of having it establish a connection). It should now recognize and
properly display the connection status, and you should now be able to use
it to kill the ppp connection.

Hope this helps

Jeff S

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: hardware autodetection
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 08:28:14 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc "Paul E. Bennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>            [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Peter T. Breuer" writes:

>> In comp.os.linux.misc "Paul E. Bennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > As the company, SiliCom, are based in Israel and emails are not
>> > being answered - no phone number and I haven't found their Web-site
>> > despite searching, I can understand the desire for a probe programme
>> > that reports all hardware and current settings.
>>
>> Do as you would with any company that acts like that .. turn up
>> at the shop you bought from, and tell them you'll avoid
>> that companies products, and would they please get their pcmcia cards
>> from reputable manufacturers who write drivers for their hardware that
>> enable you to use it!

> No point. The shop was in another city and have since then ceased to
> trade. I have had the Slicom card a few years (as I stated) and I had
> just transferred it from the old laptop to my new one only to find

Well, you have completely unsupported hardware, by your description.
Either pay someone to support it, or put your own time into supporting
it, or toss it and invest in something that is better supported.

> that DOS and Windows drivers were the only ones on the disk. Not much
> use when you are changing OS to FreeBSD.

What IS the "Slicom card" anyway? ethernet? modem? It's the chip on it
that you need to know about. But just looking at the cards ident string
should be enough to tell you everything you need to know, and to
configure the card database accordingly.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ARP proxy - help needed
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:39:45 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Stan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am trying to add a proxy ARP entry for 1 IP address on Red Hat 6.2.

> What I am doing is working, but the problem is, once I reboot the box
> all the static entries from ARP cache disappear. I'm guessing I need to
> add the arp commands to a script, but which one should I use? This is

Any one you like. Write one and stick it in the startup sequence.

> probably a dumb question, but I'm relatively new to linux and have not

It is a dumb question. Now take it from there ...

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting help in Linux
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:39:46 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc "<=oneway=>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there anything in Linux similar to the NT help utility (Start->Help)? I
> know about man pages, but one has to know almost exact name of an item in
> order to use them. How does one find the name of the program in Linux just

False.

> by knowing some key words related to the functionality the program performs
> (similar to NT help index tab) ?

man man. The -k option (is this not obvious?).

From: Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.rpm,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: RPM question
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:43:42 GMT

I am running RH 7.1 and I just downloaded an RPM named
"horde-1.2.4-1rh7.src.rpm" and am trying to install it.  I issued the
following command and got the following results:

1.  #  "rmp -Uvh  horde-1.2.4-1rh7.src.rpm"
1:horde   #################################### [100%]
#

2.  #  "rpm -q horde"
package horde is not installed
#

I get the same results after a reboot too.  Any know why the software is
not installing?  Thanks for any help.

Lamar

------------------------------

From: Robert_L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.rpm
Subject: Re: RPM question
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:00:15 -0400

Lamar Thomas wrote:

> I am running RH 7.1 and I just downloaded an RPM named
> "horde-1.2.4-1rh7.src.rpm" and am trying to install it.  I issued the
> following command and got the following results:
>
> 1.  #  "rmp -Uvh  horde-1.2.4-1rh7.src.rpm"
> 1:horde   #################################### [100%]
> #
>
> 2.  #  "rpm -q horde"
> package horde is not installed
> #
>
> I get the same results after a reboot too.  Any know why the software is
> not installing?  Thanks for any help.
>
> Lamar

Its a source rpm.  You need to do :
rpm --rebuild horde-1.2.4-1rh7.src.rpm
(never done it myself, just recalling the syntax from "man rpm")
Or you could just download the plain rpm file, probably named
horde-1.2.4-1rh7.rpm
HTH
Robert_L
P.S  you will probably get flamed for crossposting to so many groups,
as people have to sift through all the cross posts they have read already.
(many browse through multiple groups)

--
Registered Linux user #214645
remove spamfree when replying directly

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:04:36 -0700

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.misc Stan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > probably a dumb question, but I'm relatively new to linux and have not
>
> It is a dumb question. Now take it from there ...
>
> Peter

To the original poster - just so that you don't misunderstand - that's
Peter's way of saying: "Welcome to Linux and to the group!  Best of luck,
and be sure to let us know if we can help!"

-jeff

------------------------------

From: Teke Tu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with X?
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 07:31:00 -0000

Hi, I have a problem, hope any expert here can help me out..

I don't know why... when ever I logout ,it will just freeze.. and won't get
back to the login window agian... so everytime I wanna change from
a normal user to a root. I have to restart my computer...

I am using red hat 7.1 at the moment...

thank you for your help..

From: "<=oneway=>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:35:51 -0400

> man man. The -k option (is this not obvious?).
>
> Peter

Thanks for the response. That was not obvious (to me).

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 07:49:47 GMT

Phillip Geiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a directory with something like 30,000 or 40,000
> files in it.  I just need a simple text file with all of
> the filenames in it, but
>   ls * > files.txt
> returns the error
>   bash: /bin/ls: Argument list too long

man xargs

(and don't pass an argument to ls in the first place!)

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: /bin/login cannot be removed
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 07:56:58 GMT

Dowson Tong wrote:

> Linux Gurus,
>
> Please help.
>
> After I upgraded my system from RH 6.2 to RH 7.1, I found
> that the login command is no longer working.  I can't login
> from the console as root or as other users.
>
> Then I noticed that the /bin/login has not been updated
> during the upgrade.  When I tried to upgrade the util-linux
> package, it fails because /bin/login cannot be renamed
> or removed.  I tried different methods (including boot the
> system in rescue mode) and yet I can't remove the /bin/login
> executable.
>
> # rm /bin/login
> rm: remove write-protected file `/bin/login'? y
> rm: cannot unlink `/bin/login': Operation not permitted
> # mv /bin/login /bin/login.org
> mv: cannot unlink `/bin/login': Operation not permitted
> mv: cannot remove `/bin/login': Operation not permitted
>
> I suspect that my system was hacked with a bad /bin/login.
> Anyway, how can I removed this file under ext2?  I really
> don't want to reformat my drive if possible...

Just [as root] set the permissions of the file to 777.

        chmod 777 /bin/login

Then Upgrade to "util-linux-2.10s-12"

If you already installed this, test first and if there are no dependencies, use
"--force".

JRT

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:03:26 -0600
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: System freezes. . .  What to check?

Robert Chung wrote:

> I just installed Redhat Linux 7.1 on my dual CPU machine.  Sometime
> after I login to GNOME desktop, the whole system freezes.  Does anyone
> know what I should check?
>
> I also want to know how to login to plain text screen instead of
> graphical GNOME desktop (and vice versa). Thank you in advance.

In addition to what someone else has mentioned, what chipset is your
motherboard? Are you overclocking?

One thing that sometimes brings stability (at the cost of some of the
responsiveness) is to boot with kernel option "noapic". You might want
to add a duplicate of your smp entry in /etc/lilo.conf, but for the
duplicate add this:
append="noapic"

(you can use that duplicate with a different label for testing, pointing
it at the same kernel)

D. Stimits, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:43:25 +0200

jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Don't want to start any trouble, but isn't the idea behind responding to
> posts in the news groups; is that you actually reply to the groups and not
> the individual posters?  That way anyone scanning can potentially benefit
> from your responses (or tear you a new orifice ;-)  If you reply to the
> group it does not matter if people put NoSpAm junk in their email addy.

It does matter. A fundamental principle of the internet (and usenet) is
that you do not falsify source addresses. By munging your address you
strike a blow against communication as morally damaging in its way as
the physical abuse by spammers (who also falsify their address).  Fight
spammers the correct way: dump mail that is not addressed to you
directly, and report every instance that still gets through to
abuse@the_last_relay.  The RFC for usenet says the From: field must
contain your address.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:48:08 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc "<=oneway=>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> man man. The -k option (is this not obvious?).

> Thanks for the response. That was not obvious (to me).

What? Isn't "man man" the natural thing to do to find out how
to use the man system?

Just curious.

From: Federico Bravo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 08:48:06 GMT

What about viruses that use newsgroups to spread themselves? Ok, this is
a Linux newsgroup, but I think there are  a few people out there still
using MS Windows.
Anyway I think that the strength of the newsgroup concept is that it
allows sharing of all the information by everybody. Private replies are
negative either because the comunity could loose an important point of
view or because you could change your opinion due to the comunity
Best Regards,
Federico Bravo.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 10:53:11 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help on NFS

ThanhVu Nguyen wrote:

> yes , both are running on C1 and C2
>
> ng
You can ping with names & IP from both machines?

What are the log files (/var/log/*) telling case you try to connect?
UIDs should be unique across the machines.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (uzon)
Subject: wierd font when exiting KDE/GNOME
Date: 10 Jun 2001 02:01:54 -0700

hi, ive had this problem since redhat 5.0 (up until my current 6.2)-
almost every time i exit kde (or gnome) i get a different stretched
font at the terminal.
how can i change back to my regular font? or even better, how can i
prevent this from happening?
i haven't tried kde2 since my laptop only has 32mb RAM and it takes
years to load. so this issue is in kde1.
thanks for your help,
UzOn

------------------------------

From: tito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: how to forbib telnet for an IP using RH 7.0
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:03:19 +0200

Hello people. I would like to know how I could to made this using RedHat
Linux 7.0:

-I have one machine on my LAN with IP 90.0.0.1. This PC has Telnetd
running.
-I want the another machines in my LAN could make telnet to 90.0.0.1,
bue that only the IP 90.0.0.2 couldnt make telnet tto 90.0.0.1.

I made this some time ago but not remember. I think I modify
/etc/hosts.deny on my 90.0.0.1 PC...but what lines may I out on
/etc/hosts.deny?

Many thanks for your help

Tito