Hello.

phrostie wrote:
>> not support this video card and does not open up enough ports.
>  what ports?
>  could you expand on this part?
>  i have a S3
For S3 cards you must not worry about this issue
at all. Setting $_chipset="s3" worked for my S3 Trio
flawlessly both for VGA and VESA modes. Don't remember
about setting $_chipset="plainvga", but I think it could
work as well.
This problem exists only on some (modern?) cards for VESA
modes, but for VGA modes there must be no such problem at
all (Bart, do you really have any examples when this is a
problem even for VGA? Correct me then, please).
To verify if you have this "port" problem, just start your
DOS prog under WinNT. If it can't set mode also there, then
yes, you have this problem (I bet you don't have it with
S3 though). Unfortunately opening the ports doesn't always
help: still no VESA modes on my Radeon7500, but VGA works
perfectly. Thinking about returning my old S3...