Many apologies--I thought the debugging output came on stdout/stderr, but
it is clearly put into boot.log. Running with -D9+c elicits the output

X_fullscreen 0
vgaemu_memsize 0x600
vesamode_list (nil)
X_lfb 1
X_pm_interface 1

when parsing the .dosemurc lines in the vicinity of

# size (in Kbytes) of the frame buffer for emulated vga. Default: 1024K

$_X_vgaemu_memsize = (1536)

# use linear frame buffer in VESA modes. Default: on

# $_X_lfb = (on)

# use protected mode interface for VESA modes. Default: on

# $_X_pm_interface = (on)

# KeySym name to activate mouse grab, ""=off. Default: "Home"
(ctrl+alt+home)

# $_X_mgrab_key = "Home"

# List of vesamodes to add. The list has to contain SPACE separated
# "xres,yres" pairs, as follows: "xres,yres ... xres,yres". Default: ""
# for 1024x768 screen use 1024,740 or thereabouts

$_X_vesamode = "1280,960"
#  1280,1024"

# pause xdosemu if it loses focus

# $_X_background_pause = (off)

in .dosemurc. So the memory size is recognized, but the vesamode line is
not. Has the syntax changed? The documentation has not.

thanks

--jim