Linux-Networking Digest #815, Volume #9           Fri, 8 Jan 99 08:14:10 EST

Contents:
  Re: ppp problems on RH5.1, please help!! (Medway NHS Trust)
  Re: help with route, please (Medway NHS Trust)
  Re: Linux firewall doesn't forward anything - HELP!! (Jan Stifter)
  Re: firewall tool for linux? (Ulrich Eckhardt)
  ipop3d missing (No Spam)
  Using multiple ISPs with ISDN and controlling this from a win9x box on the
masqueraded network (Jan Oosting)
  Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  No login promt when dialing in to Linux box ("wa")
  Modem to Modem/Faxswitch problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: PPP/Online with Cwix.com ISP ("Daniel P. Fraga")
  telnet Windows95: thrashes utmp on exit and now can telnet no more... (Luigi Fabbro)
  Leafnode - few articles (Pietro Montelatici)
  Re: IP Accounting (Torsten Blank)
  Re: Higher than 115k serial i/o (Mark Cooperstein)
  Re: ICQ, IRC, Realplayer behind SOCKS Proxy Firewall ??? (Jon Barnett)
  Re: PPP Dial-Up Access S L O W! (Marco Haakmeester)
  Destination unreachable from localhost ? (Ryszard Lach)
  Re: cant connect to apache ("Matt Chipman")
  Re: how to start a small ISP? (ian)
  Re: ftpd won't allow uploads ("Matt Chipman")
  Why does nfsd re-export WITHOUT --re-export option ??? (Harald Michael Fuchs)
  nfsd: Could not bind name to socket ????? (Harald Michael Fuchs)
  Re: ipop3d missing ("greyman")
  Re: Have a small problem yet an important one ("greyman")
  Fax error ("Wemmer Alexander " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

From: Medway NHS Trust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp problems on RH5.1, please help!!
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:26:04 +0000

In article <76ubph$l86$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes
>Hi,
>
>I'm having problems getting ppp setup on RH 5.1.
>I'm new to linux so I'd appreciate it if any responses could be in simple
>english.
>I've set up all the scripts and they seem to be correct.
>When I try pppd I get some S*!t about the kernel not being set up to support
>ppp,  to be perfictly honest I don't have a clue about this. I've been
>looking in my 'book' for help but none comes.
>
>PLEASE,  PLEASE HELP.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Paul Eastman.
>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Make sure that you've got IP aliasing & IP forwarding enabled in the
kernel, and you can allocate upto 255 (?) addresses to  a card.

eg.

ifconfig eth0 up 195.106.41.1
ifconfig eth0:1 up 195.106.42.1

and then add the routes.

--
Medway NHS Trust

------------------------------

From: Medway NHS Trust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with route, please
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:30:36 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stefan Reitshamer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>I setup my Toshiba 4020CDT laptop with 16-bit 3COM ethernet card,
>dual-booting Linux (Redhat 5.2) and NT 4.0.
>In NT, the network card works fine.
>When I installed Linux, I chose not to configure networking.
>However, when I boot, I see lots of messages that networking
>services were started.
>But I can't ping anything on my local subnet.
>(PPP networking works great, by the way).
>
>Is there a way to configure networking without reinstalling Linux?
>
>Thanks a bunch,
>
>- Stefan Reitshamer
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Have a look at /etc/sysconfig/network
and in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
there should be config files for all your adapters
ie.

ifcfg-eth0 for your first NIC and so on.

--
Medway NHS Trust

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 20:04:39 +0100
From: Jan Stifter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux firewall doesn't forward anything - HELP!!

Neil Robinson wrote:

> The following roughly represents the configuration I have set up. The
> Internet connection is  leased line.
>
>                            Internet
>                            --------
>                            a.b.c.d
>                        Cisco 2503 router
>                        -----------------
>                            e.f.g.145
>         eth1    10BaseT    e.f.g.146
>                         Linux Firewall
>                         --------------
>         eth0   100BaseT  192.168.2.60
>                              Hub
>                        ---------------
>                        | | | | | | | |
>                        |     |       |
>                        |     |       |
>              192.168.2.1     |       192.168.2.3
>                             Hub
>                       ---------------
>                       | | | | | | | |
>                       |     |       |
>                       |             192.168.2.50
>                      Hub
>                ---------------
>                | | | | | | | |
>                |     |       |

> The above more or less resembles our network setup. I am able to ping
> e.f.g.146 and 192.168.2.60 (the internal and external addresses
> for the two ethernet cards on the firewall) from another Linux machine
> on the inside at 192.168.2.50. I can ping the Cisco (e.f.g.145)
> from the firewall. What I can't do is ping the Cisco from the internal
> Linux machine. Also, if I try to ping an unknown address 54.32.105.18,
> for instance, no attempt is made to use the route defined as default,
> and I get "Unknown network" as the result.
>
> The routing table on the firewall looks like this:
>
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> e.f.g.144       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.240 U     0      0        5 eth1
         ^

  is this a mistake? it should read 146 according to your graphics...

what does ifconfig say on the firewall ?
did you try to ping without starting the firewall ?

| Jan Stifter                    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           |
|                                web:   www.htl-bw.ch/~ia95stif     |
| meet me: telnet://freechess.org:5000  (nick: nunc)                |

From: Ulrich Eckhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Re: firewall tool for linux?
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 10:36:24 +0100

Maranatha Chung wrote:

> I am using TIS (on Linux) and both proxy and packet filtering. However, some
> users on the internal network will get "Internal Server Error" when pulling
> some web pages into their browsers. Can you guess what is going on?
>
> Maranatha

Hi,

probably the pages they are viewing have problems ?

But for web access i would recommend squid. This is a caching
web/ftp proxy (see http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/ ).

Uli
--
Ulrich Eckhardt                         Tr@nscom GbR
http://people.frankfurt.netsurf.de/uli  http://www.transcom.de

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (No Spam)
Subject: ipop3d missing
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 09:41:23 GMT

I've just started playing around with setting up an email server and
had got to the point where I tried to collect my mail via a POP
client.  When I tried to do this the client threw an error and my
server log had a message saying that it couldn't launch ipop3d because
it couldn't find it.

I then searched my server from top to bottom and sure enough, it isn't
there!  I'm using RH 5.1 i386 patched to kernel 2.0.36.  What RPM does
this app come from or what do I need to install to get it?  I have cut
some packages out of the install in an effort to tighten up security
and sendmail was one of them.  I replaced it with qmail as I'd read it
was more secure.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Oosting)
Subject: Using multiple ISPs with ISDN and controlling this from a win9x box on the
masqueraded network
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 09:34:08 GMT

I'm using a SUSE5.3-linux box as a gateway/firewall to the internet,
and I have this working perfectly for my usual ISP.
I'd like to connect to other ISPs occasionally though (mostly free
dial-in gaming providers)
What is the easiest way of doing this.
First of all I'd have to be able to select the ISP to connect to on
the linux box.
Secondly I'd like to be able to control this from the Win98 box I'm
playing the game on. Maybe this can be done through some scripting on
the webserver

TIA
Jan

------------------------------

Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 07 Jan 1999 10:15:46 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loose Nut) writes:

> On Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:38:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DG) wrote:
>
> >****************
> >**************************** !!!
> >

> You must be about 12 years old now, huh?

Nono, can't be. My son knew how to use the shift-button before he
turned 12. And he learned to write words with more than 4 letters long
before that.

OTOH this guy must be much older. A person as dumb as this one doesn't
learn to read/write or use a computer in less than 20
years. Interesting though that he doesn't make spelling mistakes! Also
the grammar is always correct. How come?

Wolfgang
--
wobo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Powered by Penguin Wisdom

------------------------------

From: "wa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: No login promt when dialing in to Linux box
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:35:25 +0200

I am another new user to linux. When dialing into the Linux box using a
terminal program the modem does not automatically answer. Using at commands
with Seyon the modem answers but no login prompt is displayed. I have
searched the How-To and FAQ with no luck. Can anyone point me on the right
track.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Modem to Modem/Faxswitch problem
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 09:40:51 GMT

Hi all,
I just set up my Linux dial-in-out box. As I have only a single line I use a
Modem/Faxswitch to determine what to do with the call. This switches are based
on the fact that modem *usally* send out 1300hz tone.
Here comes the problem: I had to experience that some modem *do not* send out
the tone, therefore call is mistakenly routed to my phone :-((

How can I force the modem to send out this #+!*?#! tone?

I went through quite some Hayes-documentation and searched through dejanews
but I found nothing appropriate.

TIA Tobias

P.S. reply per mail *and* per usenet as I have no native usenet access.

From: "Daniel P. Fraga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: PPP/Online with Cwix.com ISP
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:28:52 -0200

Draco wrote:

> do probably most ISPs.  When I try to connect through EzPPP in Linux, I
> can't get on.  It never asks for a password or login name.  I have tried
> using the terminal window and it still will not ask for that info. I was
> wondering if anyone knows anything I should do, or should I just get a
> new ISP??

        Maybe your ISP uses PAP or CHAP authentication. Please check my
page and see if it helps.

--
http://members.xoom.com/ilovelinux/

------------------------------

From: Luigi Fabbro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: telnet Windows95: thrashes utmp on exit and now can telnet no more...
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 01:06:54 +0100

I have connected with telnet from Windows95 to Linux.
Then typing exit it disconnects but it thrashes utm in the Linux box
and I  must reboot to
restore utmp.
Now hower I can telnet no more neither from the Windows box nor from the
Linux box
to the localhost. Just before host identificatio "Linux etc" and the
login prompt there is
"Connection closed by foreign host".

rlogin still works OK.

I have set in.telnetd -D report in inet.conf and compared the messages
from two Linux boxes the last  4 messages before "Connection closed by
foreign host" are
td: recv suboption TERMINAL-SPEED IS 38400,38400
td: netflush 50 chars
td: recv suboption ENVIRON IS
td: netflush 32 chars

These messages as well as the preceding one arw however equal in the the
two Linux boxes.

Thank you very much for any help:

Luigi Fabbro

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pietro Montelatici)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Leafnode - few articles
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 11:02:40 GMT

I've just installed Leafnode. I configured it with no limits set (no maxfetch,
no maxcrosspost, no maxage) apart for initialfetch = 100.

I run fetch -f, everything fine. I run fetch -vv, ok. I run fetch -vv again
after 24h and it downloaded only few articles from all the subscribed groups.
Too few.

To check if it was a problem of the newsserver where I get the news from, I got
the new articles with Agent too (directly from the server) at the same time. The
result is that Agent at the second download got many articles, as always, but
fetch got only a few.

It looks like as Fetch and Agent (and probably other news reader clients) decide
which articles to download with different algorithms. The problem looks to stay
in Fetch's one.

Does anyone know something more about this and can explain me the situation?
Maybe I have to set something...

P.S. I configured Fetch to download news from more than one news server with
"supplement" but it downloads few of them from all the newsserver.

Thanks,

_____/\
\____  \              Pietro Montelatici - TRECISION
 |  ..  \             http://www.trecision.com
 |__||__/onte         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Torsten Blank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Accounting
Date: 08 Jan 1999 12:30:50 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite) writes:

> : I want to use the net feature of xosview with the Linux kernel 2.2.
> : As for the kernels 2.1.x 'ipfwadm' doesn't work. Does someone know,
> : how to setup ip accounting with these kernels.
>
> I had to turn on Network Firewalls (CONFIG_FIREWALL) and IP: firewalling
> (CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL) to get IP accounting for 2.1.131 .

I have turned on both, but xosview shows just the network traffic of
the 'lo' and not of 'eth0'. Whereas in '/proc/net/dev' there is an
entry for 'lo' and 'eth0'. The version of xosview is 1.6.0.

    Torsten Blank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Cooperstein)
Subject: Re: Higher than 115k serial i/o
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 11:42:50 GMT

The Turbocom Turboport 920 from Pacific Commware (single port 16750) will work
with Linux.  I use one here.  It is a PnP board, so you will need isapnp
support.  Also, you will need one of the 2.1.xx kernels since 16750 wasn't
supported till then.

Mark

In article <7747ou$etq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Kris Jordan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'd like to know if there is a isa serial i/o card that would work in linux
>at speeds higher than 115kbs.  I saw a Telebyte Model 480 Isa:
>
>Dual Port
>Data Rate to 460 KBPS
>32K Buffers For Tx and Rx     16C650
>Selectable Com1-Com4
>
>I only need the one port.  But it does not list linux as compatible.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Kris Jordan
>

>begin 666 O Card.url
>M6TEN=&5R;F5T4VAO<G1C=71=#0I54DP]:'1T<#HO+W=W=RYT96QE8GET975S
>C82YC;VTO8V%T86QO9R]P<F]D=6-T<R\T.# N:'1M#0H`````
>`
>end

**  Remove ".nospam" when replying or email will bounce back to you...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Barnett)
Subject: Re: ICQ, IRC, Realplayer behind SOCKS Proxy Firewall ???
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 12:37:41 GMT

(Chris) wrote:
>The clients are running Linux too.I think all socks client progs have to be
>SOCKSified, Netscape for example is already SOCKSified.
>ICQ uses UDP and TCP packages, but it has a option to use a SOCKS V5 or V4
>connection.
>The only problem is that SOCKS V4 can`t proxy UDP packages it can only proxy
> TCP
>packages (thats what the installation says)
>In the ICQ configuration it says that I have to open an outgoing UDP port
> (4000)
>on my firewall
>or create an UDP port mapping. Can you tell me how to do that ?

This poses somewhat more of a problem.  You are indeed correct.  The programs
need to be socksified on Unix clients - only because there isn't an
intercepting SOCKS layer sitting on top of the IP stack (as per Hummingbird's
SOCKS client) - i.e. No one has written one yet.

Opening a UDP port on your Linux firewall won't help (as such) because SOCKS
doesn't work in that way.  It is an active firewall in that your client's
connection request and the subsequent established stream is received by the
SOCKS server, and the SOCKS server 'talks' on your client's behalf - so the
end server (for example, the ICQ server) thinks it is communicating to the
firewall (your client is hidden from the server by the SOCKS server).

You have two options:

Upgrade to a SOCKS V5 server or change the gateway to a Linux masquerading
firewall - the IP-Masquerade mini-HOWTO can be found at the Linux
Documentation Project, http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/.  This may be the best
solution when you have many internal UNIX systems that need to access the
internet, and you cannot SOCKSify all the programs you want to run.  The
tradeoff is that you give up the protection and control afforded by SOCKS
(SOCKS servers have rule sets to define who can use the socks server, whether
any authentication is required, and so on).  Of course, your internal network
is only as secure as your firewall (even with SOCKS, if someone gets
privileged access to the Linux box running the SOCKS server, then your
internal network is already breached).

The SOCKS V5 server build and installation is fairly simple for Unix (and
Linux) - the source and some useful explanations on SOCKS (e.g. better than
mine) can be found at http://www.socks.nec.com/.  As you mentioned, your
clients will need to support SOCKS if you follow this path.

Hope that helps.

JonB.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marco Haakmeester)
Subject: Re: PPP Dial-Up Access S L O W!
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 19:41:15 GMT

Probably an irq mismatch. You can correct it by:

Check your IRQ used in WIN95 for your modem
(controlpanel-->system-->devicemanager-->ports)

Then check in linux the status of your serial port (com
port)(setserial -a /dev/ttyS?)

This probably is different to the Win95 setting
You change it by: setserial /dev/ttyS? irq ?) Question marks are your
serial portnr.

Succes.

Marco

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ryszard Lach)
Subject: Destination unreachable from localhost ?
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 11:57:44 GMT

Hi!

I see lot of such a messages in my iplogger.log. I have no ip firewall rules on
this host (but have on Cisco router some..) and I wonder, why could localhost
want to send packets to outside world? This message appears after each message
indicating, that some other host connected to me... Any ideas?

Siaco.

--

Ryszard £ach
Internet Designers

------------------------------

From: "Matt Chipman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cant connect to apache
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 23:01:46 +1100

sorry i dunno what ps ax means (got my L plates on ) but i fixed it with the
help of Greyman and his message which was correct.

thanks for your answer

Matt

------------------------------

From: ian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: how to start a small ISP?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 15:27:58 -0500

how small?
but here are basics,
        -business liscence
        -T1/partial T1 connection to net
        -Server-always up, must be fast
        -Backup Server
        -Multiple Phone lines
        -Modem rack (usually connect by ethernet)
I think that one of the Computing magazines had an article on it,
BTW try calling MCI/Sprint, they would be willing to help

From: "Matt Chipman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ftpd won't allow uploads
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 23:24:02 +1100

I know less than almost everyone on here but i will try anyway :)

If this is a public ftp dir then there should be no password ... ie it is
"disabled"

Your home directory probably has a different password to your root.
Assumeing you have logged in as root and used a password you wont be able to
get to your home dir because that has its own access rules. So log out and
log in to your home dir with the right username and password.

If you can ... use xwindows .... it is a darn sight easier for this sort of
configuring

hope this helps.

Matt

Lee A. Janssen wrote in message <76ub8p$mkt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I've set up wu-ftpd on RedHat 5.1 and am logging in as a real user.
>
>/etc/inetd.conf ->  ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd -l -a
>/etc/passwd -> janssenL:<password>:500:500:l a j
,,:/home/janssenL:/bin/bash

------------------------------

From: Harald Michael Fuchs  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why does nfsd re-export WITHOUT --re-export option ???
Date: 8 Jan 1999 12:50:18 GMT

i think i've tracked down the locking of the nfsds described in my last
posting. they do a re-exporting nfs mounted filesystems, so, in my case,
they create a circular nfs mount structure and lock up like described in
the man page. BUT: i start them without the --re-export option,
so this should not happen!

any clues why it still does?

thanx in advance,

        Harry

  System administrator at the Institute for theoretical computer science
                              Graz University of Technology

   /\_/\    Harald M. Fuchs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          | Finger
  ( o.o )   http://oeh.tu-graz.ac.at/~harry                    | me 4 my
   > ^ <    private  phone: +43 (316) 84 72 73                 | public
   Sally    business phone: +43 (316) 873 5843, fax: 873 5805  | PGP Key

------------------------------

From: Harald Michael Fuchs  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: nfsd: Could not bind name to socket ?????
Date: 8 Jan 1999 11:59:31 GMT

hi!

has someone got a clue on this? my nfsds (2.2beta37) suddenly stop working
every few seconds or so. (NFS server snubbu not responding still trying)
when killing and restarting them they write

nfsd[]: Could not bind name to socket 0.0.0.0:2049: Address already in use
nfsd[]: could not make a tcp socket

to the logfile and won't start. i'm pretty clueless on this. i'm also running
yp/nis, maybe this has to do with it ...

thanx in advance,

        Harry

From: "greyman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ipop3d missing
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 22:51:35 +1000

This is from a system that started as a RH5.0 and has several rpm upgrades
since.

    [graham@nirvana graham]$ rpm -qf /usr/sbin/ipop3d
    imap-4.1.BETA-8

Greyman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

No Spam wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I've just started playing around with setting up an email server and
>had got to the point where I tried to collect my mail via a POP
>client.  When I tried to do this the client threw an error and my
>server log had a message saying that it couldn't launch ipop3d because
>it couldn't find it.
>
>I then searched my server from top to bottom and sure enough, it isn't
>there!  I'm using RH 5.1 i386 patched to kernel 2.0.36.  What RPM does
>this app come from or what do I need to install to get it?  I have cut
[snip]

------------------------------

From: "greyman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Have a small problem yet an important one
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 22:46:26 +1000

Hi there,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message <774iej$jtk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
The card has
>been registered in my /proc/pci as having IRQ=12, I/O 0xe400 and since is
the
>only card so is identified as eth0. After it got detected in /proc/pci i
used
>"linux ether=12,0xe400, eth0" at the LILO BOOT prompt since it was not
>getting detected at boot. But now even after this i'm getting a message
which
>says "Delaying eth0 initialization" .What I would also like to inform is
that

I have found that I needed to put an append line in /etc/lilo.conf (followed
by running lilo to update the boot record). Here is part of mine as example:

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.35
        append = "ether=0xA,0x300,eth0"
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda1
        read-only

I think that this will do it.

Greyman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Wemmer Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fax error
Date: 8 Jan 1999 12:59:37 +0100

Hi!

I have a new 3com us.robotics  56k message modem and i am trying to send
faxes with it.

am using sendfax and every time the modem wants to transmit the fax-data it
breaks down with an transmission error:

Transmission error: +FHNG:24 (RSOEC error)

Does anyone know what that means ??

thanx a lot for helping!

--
WEMMER Alexander
Telematik Student at the Technical University of Graz, Austria