Linux-Networking Digest #934, Volume #9          Tue, 19 Jan 99 08:14:15 EST

Contents:
  Re: How do you run slip/ppp between two machines? (Omegaman)
  Re: PPP and Diald (Patrick Hess)
  Re: Cable modem and IP Masquerading (Don O'Connell)
  Simple networking questions (Rob)
  Re: ftp datastream sometimes failing ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Security hole with WU-FTPD (Jacques Distler)
  Re: Simple networking questions ("Kyle Bowerman")
  Re: ip masquerading and icq (Mike Patterson)
  Re: /usr over nfs? (Rodger Donaldson)
  Re: Winmodem (Jayasuthan [VorHacker])
  Re: Connect without hub (Paul Gress)
  my own server (Maat)
  Problems getting local services in network (Juan Manuel Pineda Occhiena)
  Re: Hackers used my linuxserver be hacked gateway How to fixing? ("Ronald BAL")
  Re: my own server (Ben Sandler)
  Reconnection after WWW session terminates: WHY ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Network Video Broadcast (not conference) Available? (David Steuber)
  Re: Samba and file permissions... (Marius Bezuidenhout)
  Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND idiot-friendly?
(Stephen R. Savitzky)
  Re: PPP/SLIP/Null Modem Connection Help (Rob van der Putten)

From: Omegaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do you run slip/ppp between two machines?
Date: 18 Jan 1999 22:18:01 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vaughan R. Pratt) writes:

> the voluminous pppd documentation doesn't seem to have anything to say
> about this simple case.  PPP-HOWTO promises "This document provides a
> brief overview of using PPP to link two Linux PCs via a null modem
> cable" but whoever wrote that forgot to include the overview.

Yes it does.  The very last page of the PPP-HOWTO is titled "Using PPP
across a null modem (direct serial) connection".  I did it straight
out of that document and it was so simple you'll probably be
surprised.

Since it's so short, here's the page in question:
27. Using PPP across a null modem (direct serial) connection

   This is very simple - there is no modem in the way so things are much
   simpler.

   First of all, choose one of the machines as a 'server', setting up a
   getty on the serial port so you can test that you do have connectivity
   using minicom to access the serial port on the 'client'.

   Once you have this functioning, you can remove the getty UNLESS you
   want to make sure that the connection is validated using user
   name/password pairs as for a dial up connection. As you have 'physical
   control' of both machines, I will presume that you do NOT want to do
   this.

   Now, on the server, remove the getty and make sure that you have the
   serial ports on both machines configured correctly using 'setserial'.

   All you need to do now is to start pppd on both systems. I will assume
   that the connection uses /dev/ttyS34 on both machines. So, on both
   machines execute the command:-

pppd -detach crtscts lock <local IP>:<remote IP> /dev/ttyS3 38400 &

   This will bring up the link - but as yet you have no routing
   specified. You can test the link by pinging to and fro to each
   machine. If this works, bring down the link by killing one of the pppd
   processes.

   The routing you need will of course depend on exactly what you are
   trying to do. Generally, one of the machines will be connected to an
   Ethernet (and beyond) and so the routing required is exactly the same
   as for a PPP server and client.

  So on the Ethernet equipped machine, the pppd command would be

pppd -detach crtscts lock proxyarp <local IP>:<remote IP> /dev/ttyS3 38400 &

   and on the other machine

pppd -detach crtscts lock defaultroute <local IP>:<remote IP> /dev/ttyS3 38400
&

   If you are linking two networks (using a serial link!) or have more
   complex routing requirements, you can use /etc/ppp/ip-up in exactly
   the same way as mentioned earlier in this document.

Make sure the pppd lines are single commands of course.  And make sure
you pick appropriate private IP's (ie 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2).

--
=============(( http://home.gs.verio.net/~omegam  ))==================
Omegaman<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   | "When they kick out your front door,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Hess)
Subject: Re: PPP and Diald
Date: 18 Jan 1999 22:20:53 -0800

You need "defaultroute" in your /etc/ppp/options.  Works for me, anyway...

Here's my /etc/ppp/options:

asyncmap 0
noipdefault
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
defaultroute
lock
crtscts
modem

                        Patrick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don O'Connell)
Subject: Re: Cable modem and IP Masquerading
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:02:04 GMT

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 02:16:39 GMT, Scott W. Petesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 01:32:04 -0600, "Fly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>Here is the suggested way and it works for us:
>
>linux masq server should have 2 ethernet cards, one connected to the
>hub (internal network) and the other connected to the cable modem.
>
>Read the following how to's on cable modem and dhcpcd (dhcpcd will
>asign an ipaddress to the network card connected to the cable modem)
>
>BTW, works great but just a little concerned about security and being
>connected %100 of the time.
>
>Scott

Use ipfwadm/ipmasqadm to set up your rules and
use the tcp-wrappers programs. It's been keeping my system secure

--

Don O'Connell -- email  - donroc @ home . net

------------------------------

From: Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Simple networking questions
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:52:05 +0000

Hello

Im looking for commands which can do the following.

DNS an ip adddres and vice versa. (ie putting in a host name will
producde the IP and vice versa)
and
Find out exactly what connections are connected to my machine.  EG, if
someone is pinging me 64 k blocks of data, I want to know their IP
address.

Can anyone help?

Cheers
Rob

--

Computer running under Linux 2.0.35

Rob Barnes
ICQ : 2224468
Email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web Page : Brother wrecked it, last time I let him use FTP..
Go to : www.unix-vs-nt.org/kirch/ for an education...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ftp datastream sometimes failing
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:49:58 GMT

Try using the -vj and/or the -vjccomp options when invoking pppd. It appears
that the compression is causing some confusion in some routers and they are
dropping frames due to bad checksums. I don't understand all the details,
except to say that the above worked for me!

Mark

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jacques Distler)
Crossposted-To: comp.security.unix,redhat.networking.general,aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Security hole with WU-FTPD
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:17:19 -0600

In article <%3No2.325$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Barry Margolin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Jacques Distler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Color me stupid, but why does he allow root ftp logins, *period*.
>>Shouldn't root be in his ftpusers file?
>
>Even if it were, it wouldn't have helped in this case.  The line that the
>cracker added to /etc/passwd had a UID of 0, but the name wasn't "root".
>The ftpusers file lists names, not UIDs.

Given that the cracker must have had root access to do that, it would not
have mattered whether the ftpusers file lists names or UIDs. He could have
circumvented that, too. In this particular case, *nothing* could have
helped.

So the particular details of this attack do not seem to be salient to the
more general question about restricting ftp access by certain users. That
is controlled by the contents of the /etc/shells and /etc/ftpusers files,
not by the contents (or lack thereof) of the password field in
/etc/passwd.
I don't understand why the poster thinks that this is "less secure".

JD

--
PGP public key: http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/~distler/distler.asc

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Bowerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Simple networking questions
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:34:59 -0700

ping whatever.com will resolve the ip address
and ping -a  NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN will rolsove the name

try netstat sorry just tried it and it doesn't tell about ICMP
kyle

From: Mike Patterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ip masquerading and icq
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:04:58 GMT

If both users are behind a firewall, then I don't think chat or file transfers will
work.  (Unless there is a socks proxy for Linux?  I haven't tried looking for one yet.)

I have been trying to use ipautofw myself, and every time I get the message:
  setsockopt: Protocol not available
This happens no matter what options I try.  Anyone know what might be causing this?
Also, ip masq modules are complaining of unresolved symbols.  I haven't been able to
test if the modules are working.  (I'm using Red Hat 5.2--2.0.36 kernel, if that makes
difference.)

--
Mike Patterson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rodger Donaldson)
Subject: Re: /usr over nfs?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:30:34 +1300

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:59:00 +1300, Richard Hector <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Geoff Short wrote:

>I was thinking about doing this at home (I have a machine with a 40meg
>hard disk). But what is likely to happen with Debian or Redhat's package
>management? Will they lose track of what's where, or are they designed
>to handle this?

There a couple of ways to handle this:

* Synchronised workstations.  In a situation where, say a dozen systems
  mount a common /usr and have the same packages, the fact that the Deb/RH
  packages will be overwriting one another is irrelevant.  I do this with a
  bunch of machines sharing /usr/share/texmf.

* Seperate /usr shares on a big system.  Share /usr/local/systems/ws[1-9],
  and mount each share on another system.

Of course, for the first case, one would ideally have a ``nousr'' version of
packages.

--
Rodger Donaldson                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
La Cicciolina [...] Electing her was an interesting contrast to the

------------------------------

From: Jayasuthan [VorHacker] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winmodem
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Date: 16 Jan 99 07:02:49 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Bounty Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:24:00 -0500, Shenzhi Yang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: wrote:

:>  I got a Winmodem in my computer. So, is there anyway to make in
:>working in Linux? If not, any recommendation for a modem that can work
:>in Linux?
:>  Thanks for any response.

: I am looking right now at a package called isapnptools.
: It says that it will work with the newer win-type modems.
: Be advised though, some hacking is required! This package will help
: you get started though.

: Steve

Hai,

You mean winmodem = software modem... those without normal com ports.
I will do a search for that new isapnp package... pls do keep me inform
on winmodem development....

thank you

Jayasuthan
[Fairchild Information System Support]

[Internal]

[External]
http://still.working.on
smtp%"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

------------------------------

From: Paul Gress <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.win95
Subject: Re: Connect without hub
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:57:30 -0500

Robin is correct, I have been using a crossover cable for many years between 2
computers.  The only problem is when you need to add a third computer/component
(printer), then you can't use a crossover cable and must use a hub or switcher.

Paul Gress

------------------------------

From: Maat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: my own server
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:22:33 +0100

Im I able to run a dns and a (apache) webserver on one machine with one
static ip-adress so I have my own domain name?
My ISP has given me a static ip and a hostname, can I just run my own
hostname with the same ip adress par example: www.chew.nl?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greetings,

Johannes http://www.chew.demon.nl

------------------------------

From: Juan Manuel Pineda Occhiena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems getting local services in network
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:35:56 +0000

Hello there,

I have a network with a server running RedHat 5.1, and three other
computers with Linux or Windows 95/98.  I have managed to get access to
the net for all of the machines and the automatic dial out through diald
works fine.  Anonymous ftp works well, and telnet is o.k.  whenever
connecting to the internet.  Nevertheless, whenever I want to make a
simple ftp between the computers in my local network, I get a
"connection refused" message consistently.  I also wanted to run rlogin
or a secure version of it, but the service again is denied in a
consistent basis afer putting in the proper password.  I have set
hosts.deny: ALL: ALL, and then set hosts.allow to the domain of the
local network: ALL : .domain.org (this is not a registered domain
though).  I have setup a firewall, but allowed local traffic (services
available for the domain).

What can possibly be the problem?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Juan Pineda

------------------------------

From: "Ronald BAL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hackers used my linuxserver be hacked gateway How to fixing?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:58:59 +0100

David Barnes wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I could use a bit of help on this subject as well.  I spent the past three
>weeks setting up my first Linux server for testing.  I had samba, IP-Masq,
>and diald all set up and working nicely after quite a bit of work.
>
>Anyway, today while connected to a dial up ISP, I suddenly noticed that
there
>was a lot of racket coming from my disk drive.  I tail the messages log, so
>looked at that and the system was complaining of a possible SYN flood
>attack.  Further down was a note that someone had root access.  I tried to
>run a few commands like top, tail, and then the basics like ls, but it was
>too late.  Someone had decided to delete everything on the drive.  I
couldn't
>even execute reboot or halt, so I powered it down and restarted it.  It
won't
>boot.  I tried to boot to a rescue disk, but I can't mount any of the
>drives.  Well, I can mount them, but they are empty.  There's nothing left.
>
>I was running Redhat 5.1 and I had ipfwadm set up to allow only my internal
>boxes access, but apparantly I did something wrong.  Based on the few
>symptoms presented, can anyone tell me what was done or what I need to do
>stop it.  I'd really like to deploy Linux, but I have to figure this one
out
>first.  Thanks for any help.

Did u install NFS on the Linux-machine? If u did, remove it at once !
Everyone with win3.1,Win95/98 or even DOS can get rootaccess then. Install
SAMBA, but configure it properly, especially the permissions.

Greetings,

Ronald

------------------------------

From: Ben Sandler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: my own server
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:30:30 +0000

Maat wrote:

> Im I able to run a dns and a (apache) webserver on one machine with one
> static ip-adress so I have my own domain name?
> My ISP has given me a static ip and a hostname, can I just run my own
> hostname with the same ip adress par example: www.chew.nl?

Did your ISP give you www.chew.nl, or something else?  If the ISP gave
you something else, then you'll need to pay for and register
www.chew.nl.  Go to whoever manages .nl TLDs (anyone know?).  Then yes,
you can set it up as your hostname and be on your way.

- Ben

> THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> greetings,
>
> Johannes http://www.chew.demon.nl

--
Ben Sandler
email me: sandler at ymail dot yu dot edu

"Windows is an operating system, not a religion."
- Ted Waitt, chairman of Gateway

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Reconnection after WWW session terminates: WHY ?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:55:43 GMT

I have my ISP configured with ppp under ISDN. Mail and news are still not
working perfectly, but Netscape works almost ok. Two points are obvious:

1. When I open Netscape and try to connect the first time, this failes. Reload
works, and all other www traffic too.

2. After I have terminated the Netscape session, the connection is terminated
after 60 seconds, as I configured it, BUT after another 60 sec interval there is
a reconnection on the www port (80) for no reason ! This continues in cycles.
Not good for my nerves and for my telephone bill ! Who knows the trick ?

Maybe it's the Apache web server ? How to trace that ?

Regards, Eggert

Answers please in this newsgroup!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Network Video Broadcast (not conference) Available?
Date: 18 Jan 1999 16:02:55 -0500

Patrick Shomo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

->      I've checked out vic and other mbone tools for Linux, but they seem to
-> all take advantage of the Quickcam for Video Conferencing. The nv tool
-> looks like a winner (can operate in recvOnly mode for the client), but
-> again everything is based around the QuickCam.

Where can I get these?  Is source available?

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

SYSTEM ALERT: /dev/null is full.  Please delete any unnecessary files.

------------------------------

From: Marius Bezuidenhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Samba and file permissions...
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:43:55 +0200

Under the resource you want to modify in the /etc/smb.conf file insert this
"
[my_resource]
   create mask = 0660        # This is for the files
   directory mask = 0770    # This is for the directories
"

It can also be a good idea to insert:
"
   follow symlinks = no
"

Unfortunately I can't help you with your case problem at this time.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen R. Savitzky)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND
idiot-friendly?
Date: 17 Jan 1999 10:12:59 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allan Olesen) writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >*CAN* you grep in windows?
>
> Sorry for my Linux ignorance. My experience with Linux is one week
> old, so I may have misunderstood the purpose of grep. Grep is the
> function that can search several files for a text string, right?

Command, not function, but basically yes.  It can also search for
"regular expressions" -- that's the "re" part of the name.  You can also
control case sensitivity, and so on.  The following finds all instances
of "q" not followed by "u" in files with ".html" extensions.:

  grep -i 'q[^u]' *.html

(Note that selecting the .html files is done by the shell, not by grep.)

> You can do that in W95 too. It is part of the standard built-in file
> search function, which can search for file names, sizes, dates and
> text strings. But it cannot replace text strings (don't know if Linux
> grep can), and it cannot be used from a prompt instead of GUI (suppose
> that Linux grep can).

All these functions are actually performed by the "find" command (in
combination with "grep" for text searching and "sed" or "perl" for
replacement).  For example, I use the following little script for
computing line counts and displaying them graphically (using a program,
"xdu", originally designed for displaying disk usage):

find ${*-.} -type f ! -name '*~' ! -name '#*' ! -name '.#*' \
    ! -name '*.class' ! -name '*.o' ! -name '*.log' ! -name '*.zip' \
    -exec wc -l {} \; \
    | xdu -c 4 -name "Line Counts: $*" -geom +105+80

and this one for doing a global replace (replacing "aux" with "util") in
all files named "Repository".

  find . -name "Repository" -exec perl -p -i -e 's@/aux/@/util/@' {} \;

(exactly _why_ I had to do that is left as an exercise for the reader.)

Bottom line: it is Unix's ability to _combine_ commands that makes it so
powerful.

--
 /   Steve Savitzky   \ 1997 Pegasus Award winner: best science song--+  \
/ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> \     http://www.starport.com/people/steve/    V   \

------------------------------

From: Rob van der Putten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP/SLIP/Null Modem Connection Help
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 12:04:44 +0100

Hi there

On 17 Jan 1999, Brian McCauley wrote:

> That looks like a standard null-modem cable to me.  What do "most"
> look like then?

All sorts of wierd stuff.

> >  The screen of the cable should be connected (soldered) to the connector
> >  shell at both ends of the cable.
> Both?  I thought that was not recommeded.

I know it is not recommended. I just don't agree with the recommendation.
Never mind the ground loops. If they are small they don't pick up much
hum. If they are big you shouldn't be using RS232 in the first place.

Regards,
Rob