From: "Axel Hoelzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IPX-Error starting mars netware  server emulation
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:10:03 +0100

Hello,
while trying to start the Novell Netware Server emulation MARS (V.o.00p112)
I get the following error message:

!! NWSERV         0          0:PANIC   !!
NWSERV         0           0:EMUTLI: init_ipx: invalid argument

The IPX-Protocol is supported by the kernel, and I have set up the
/etc/nwserv.conf for my configuration.

Can anybody help?

Regards

    Axel

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Diald make on RH 5.1
Date: 21 Jan 1999 15:09:35 +0100

Go to the contrib ftp site at redhat or its mirror sites.  People have
already solved this problem more than a year ago and were kind enough to
donate the result to ftp://contrib.redhat.com where you can download it.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Francesc Guasch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: setting up network
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:09:59 +0100

Adam Hamflett wrote:

> I am cofused about linux networks.
> Are there any good sites which tell how to set up security, ipx tcp etc?
>
> i have got the drivers loaded, but thats as far as ive got. what do i
> need to do now.
>
> also i want to be able to tel net in from a windows 98 based machine and
> copy files off and to my linux machine. how is this done.
>
> i have a ne 2000 combatible card.

Look for the Network Administrators Guide (NAG).

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.etsetb.upc.es/~frankie
 ^-^.-----,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scallica)
Subject: Disabling TCP Wrappers
Date: 19 Jan 1999 17:00:30 GMT

Hey,

I am using Redhat 5.2. I am using the INET service thing. I can't seem to get
telnet and ftp access to my machine. I think its because of the tcp wrappers
not allowing me to connect. So how can I disable the tcp wrappers? Thanx.

P.S. - I shut down inetd and them started in.telnetd manually using the -debug
flag, and telnet worked! But the process died after a few minutes.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("David G. Bell")
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux server on small network
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 99 18:38:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
           [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Andrew Taylor" writes:

> I've just put a new network together at home it's only 3PC's but it does
> what I need. I have two windows machines sharing a monitor and the linux
> machine sits across the other side of the room without a keyboard or
> monitor. The linux machine is all set up but I find that the windows telnet
> program is no good for dealing with PICO etc if I have to change a
> configuration. Can anyone suggest a Windows program which can do full screen
> colour terminal logins ? I really want to use BitchX under linux as well.

The free telnet programs which come with Windows are pretty poor.  I use
a program called ZOC which will run either over a serial connection or a
network stack.  Demo available from www.emtec.com with versions for
Windows and OS/2.  I've never used it over a LAN, but it's worth a look.

--
David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, and Punslinger.

------------------------------

From: Francesc Guasch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boot Rom
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:13:10 +0100

http://www.incom.de

From: "Alexander Pflaum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Frametype 802.3 SNAP
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:51:20 +0100

What kind of frametypes does linux support?
Can I switch to Frametype 802.3 SNAP (for tcp/ip not for IPX)?
If possible, what have I to do to use the SNAP Frametype?
Can I get any FAQ about this problem?

Thanks
  Alex Pflaum

------------------------------

From: Aaron Helleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IPCHAINS and Port Forwarding... Together??
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:33:29 -0500

I'm currently running Linux RedHat 5.1 with a 2.1.132 kernel.  I have a
cablemodem connection to the net which I have used IPCHAINS'
masquerading capabilities to give my other three machines access to the
net to surf, ftp, etc.

However, I would like provide a port forwarding capability to my gateway
machine to allow ICQ to function with all the bells and whistles to
JUST ONE of those three machines.

What I would like to do is forward a subset of ports on the gateway
machine and forward them to just one machine.  Is this possible?

For example, if my gateway's machine ip was (and it isnt) 24.2.72.42 I
would like to foward any information coming in on port 2000 to 4000 to
be forwarded to the corresponding port 2000 - 4000 on my internally
masqueraded machine 192.168.0.2.

To my understanding, this would allow me to be properly seen from the
internet via ICQ.  I realize that this opens a hole in my firewall, but
I dont think? I should be too concerned as my little network is not much
of a target AND those ports would be somewhat useless anyways as they
would terminate on a WIN98 machine.

True/False?

Perhaps I am just missing some function of  IPCHAINS?  or do I need to
look into using IPPORTFW?  or other tools?

I run this at the end of my rc.local to do the setup for my
MASQUERADING function so that my three (or more) machines connected to
my internal network (192.168.0.X) can transparently access the internet.

================

#
## Flush everything, start from scratch
#
# Incoming packets from the outside network
ipchains -F input
# Outgoing packets from the internal network
ipchains -F output
# Forwarding/masquerading
ipchains -F forward
#
## Allow all connections on the internal interface
#
ipchains -A input -i eth0 -s 0/0 -d 0/0 -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A input -i eth0 -s 0/0 -d 0/0 -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A output -i eth0 -s 0/0 -d 0/0 -j ACCEPT
#
## masquerade all internal IP's going outside
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 0/0 -j MASQ
#ditch doubleclick.net advertisments
ipchains -A output -d 199.95.208.0/24 -j REJECT
#
## want ICQ to work for limited range of addresses
ipchains -A output -p UDP -d icq.mirabilis.com 4000 -j
ACCEPT              ## I'm pretty sure this stuff doesnt do anything to
help me.
ipchains -A output -p TCP -d icq.mirabilis.com 2000:4000 -j ACCEPT    ##
What I need to do is force a ROUTE anything

##  fromICQ.MIRABILIS.COM on 2000-4000 to terminate on 192.168.0.2.

## I realize somebody could spoof ICQ's IP address(es), but if it
terminates on my WIN98

## machine, what does it matter?
## Defaults to use if unspecified above.
#ipchains -A input -j DENY
#ipchains -A output -j ACCEPT
#ipchains -A forward -j DENY

######################################
# Now that we've configured the chains, we can safely enable packet
forwarding
# in the kernel
#

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Thanks folks,

Aaron Helleman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: nmap won't run as root
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:16:36 GMT

Hi all,

Can anyone give any pointers as to why nmap the port scanner is only scanning
127.0.0.1 as root? It works fine as a user, but not as root.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Steve

From: "minstrel" <none>
Subject: Re: fetchmail
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:27:57 GMT

Now for the real kicker: I already have sendmail up and running.  This isn't
the problem.  I don't quite know what the problem is.  Everyone has said
"sendmail," but it is there and running.  Any other ideas?  I'm beginning to
think I'm out of luck.

Thanks,
Aaron Mitchell

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Remy Schleimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fax Server under Linux?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:09:57 -0500

Any idea where I can find a distribution of mgetty?

thank you for your help
remy

> I've use mgetty+sendfax package .. the Linux dial-in (Mgetty) works well
> for the incoming faxes (As it also does data, fidonet, pppd, uucp,
etc..),
> and there is some information in the contribution directory of the
package
> on setting up the sendfax package to work within a network by printing to
> a postscript printer from the remote machine to the fax server.  It is
> really nice.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux
Subject: YCL Ethernet card and RedHat install
From: Seth Bagley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:52:57 -0700

Posting from a friend's machine (well at least on his settings)...

I'm setting up an inherited machine with RedHat 5.2 from a CheapBytes
CD.  I had a feeling the Ethernet card might be a glitch...and it is.
None of the stock drivers (when I come to the LAN configuration point of
the install) are working.  I will probably move on without installing
the LAN set up and either re-install or re-configure later.  Anyone know
where I might find a driver for it (I'm not to the point of rolling my
own) or have a driver for that one or for a generic card.

When I select a device driver, and have it do an autoprobe, it comes
back and says it could find no such device.  I don't know what the
manual settings would be.  If someone could give me a clue on those,
that would be great too.  Thanks.

Jason White
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Linux Newbie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: DOES LINUX SUCK
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:37:34 +0100

It was the 19 Jan 1999 22:39:11 -0800...
..and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hey, you are starting to learn something ! why should not people who can't
> read and write use computers too????
>
> i smell some sort of discrimenation against the iliteterate challenged here
> or something?

ROTFLMAO

mawa
--
Matthias Warkus    |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |    Dyson Spheres for sale!
My Geek Code is no longer in my .signature. It's available on e-mail request.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:26:19 -0800
From: Stephen Carville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Arthur wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Arthur says...
> > >
> > >Jim Ross wrote:
> > >

> > >To install downloaded rpm's under KDE:
> > >
> > >1. Open kfm file manager (one click)
> > >2. Find the subdirectory you d/l'd to (I realize this
> > >may be a problem for some Windows users)
> > >3. Left click the package name
> > >4. After kpackage opens, click install
> > >5. Wait (less than 15 seconds on average)
> > >6. Close kpackage, kinstall
> > >7. Run the program
> > >
> > >(You can also do this from the command line even more
> > >quickly, or use xrpm or glint if you're not using KDE)
> > >

> > expect you need to install KDE to use kfm.
> > and wih KDE rpms, you need to install the packages in correct order
>
> My KDE was installed when I installed my system - I didn't
> have to install it seperately, so I guess your a little
> incorrect there Bob.
>
> I have installed kde on earlier systems:
>
> rpm -i <kdefile name .rpm> at the command line for each kde file.

It is not even that hard.  If all the KDE rpms are in the same directory use
"rpm -ihU *.rpm" and rom seems to take care of the dependencies it self.  AFAIK
this is undocumented but it always works for me.

--
        Stephen Carville
Civilization, as we know it today, owes it's existence to the engineers. These

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:33:22 -0800
From: Stephen Carville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCP and DNS (again)

Brian McCauley wrote:

> Alternatively use a DNS server that supports dynamic updates and send
> it dynamic updates.  Eventually dhcpd will be able to do this
> automatically.

I could live with that.  Is there a DNS server that supports dynamic
updates?

From: Peter Hernberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Multiple Card Problem
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:28:03 -0500

I am having a problem setting up multiple ethernet cards on my RH 5.2
sytem. I have two 3Com 3c509 cards, one which (eth0) needs to boot using
DHCP (for my Road Runner cable modem). The other one needs to have a
static IP address for our home network. Both cards function fine in
Win95, but I've run into a problem using them in Linux. If I only use
eth0 (by not using the append = "ether=0,0,eth1" command in lilo.conf),
then it works fine (I am able to boot using DHCP and connect to my cable
modem. But when I add the append line to my lilo.conf neither card
works. Both are detected by the kernel, but eth0 won't DHCP and eth1
won't work either. If anyone could help me figure this one out, I would
greatly appreciate it.

Peter Hernberg

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:08:42 -0500
From: Dan Falk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Name Mangling Problem!?!?

I have a Samba (2.0) server set up on RH5.2.  Everything work how it
should ... I guess.  Why do filenames/directories get mangled in a
different manner as windoze machines?  e.g.  the directory \longfilename
in Linux becomes x:/longf~hi in Dos instead of x:/longfi~1 in Dos.  I
understand this is how the Samba Team, god love 'em, have decided to do
things ... but why?  More importantly, is there ANY way for a
non-programmer, like myself, to implement the MS standard on a Samba
server?  My problem lies in using a 16bit version of PVCS with long dir
names.   Its looking for the "~1", "~2", etc mangled names.

Thanks for any help,

Dan Falk

------------------------------

From: Sheer El-Showk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IP allocation on a small network
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:02:43 -0800

I am going to be setting up a small network (10 computers or so) that will
be connected to the internet via an ADSL line connected directly to a
router.  Several machines on the network are to have real (universally
visible IP addresses).  I am curious as to what general technology
(besides DHCP) is used for IP address allocation.  That is, if my ISP will
be giving me ten IP addresses, how will each IP address be associated with
each machine.  Is it done on the router (is each port on the router
assigned an address), and if it is, would there be any way of implementing
it using a computer which is functioning as a router?   Any information or
pointers to URLs with information on this area would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,
Sheer El-Showk

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greer Reichow)
Subject: Re: Samba:Can't write/create from Win95
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 16:20:30 GMT

how can I set the permissions, I have one that only root can write to,
need to fix that...how?

 Regards,
   Greer