From: Mark Shuttleworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Funky ipfwadm/sendmail interaction
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:40:39 GMT

Hiya

Thanks!

--
Mark Shuttleworth
Thawte Certification

------------------------------

From: Lee Shakespeare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: disabling source routing with token ring
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:43:12 +0000

Hi Folks.

I'm trying to connect a linux box (2.0.35) to a rather large token ring
network and am encountering a few problems.  The network has a number of
3com token ring hubs, which are joined by a 3com 7000 ATM switch.  I can
see all the machines on the local token ring, but none on the other
rings.  An NT box which sits on the same ring can see the whole network.

I've been told by the people in the know, that I need to "disable source
route routing" for the token ring card.  A quick usenet search has
turned up little, source routing hadn't used to work, but does now.  The
source code doesn't make an explicit references to it, and I'm no kernel
hacker.

Does anyone know how I can disable source routeing for the token ring
card?

Lee.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   :   Lee Shakespeare

------------------------------

From: Michael Kifer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ftp from behind a masquerading router
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 02:36:47 GMT

The ftp "dir" commands hangs when I do ftp from a machine connected to a
masquerading linux router. This happens even if the router allows all access
like this:

/sbin/ipfwadm -I -p accept
/sbin/ipfwadm -O -p accept
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -p accept

/sbin/ipfwadm -F -a masquerade  -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

"dir" does work if I issue it from an ftp session on the router itself.

Will appreciate any clues.

Michael Kifer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bow Shock Wave)
Subject: Has anyone tried IE5 for Unix
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:43:02 GMT

After kicking the cat and going to www.microsoft.com
Has anyone tried the new microsoft Internet Explorer 5
for Un*x yet, Is this a MS Trojan Horse, or are they letting their
crappy code slip, so they can condemn to death people who rip
the source code, as it would not be GNU type software ???

------------------------------

From: "raytronx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
athome.users-unix,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to get Linux to recognize "built-in" Ethernet?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 02:23:25 GMT

Either the Kernel is compiled with support for that device or a module (kind
of like a driver)
is loaded at boot time. Maybe look around your system for info on modules.
Not being familiar with Mac or LinuxPPC I can't really help much ,
but I'm sure somebody in newsgroup comp.os.linux.powerpc must know.

Good Luck , Raytronx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Vertigan)
Subject: PAP problems
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:05:13 GMT

I'm trying to a linux dial-in server to use pap but it seems badly broken.
Either that or I've missed something pretty fundamental.  I'm trying to dial
in with a win98 box and although if I bring up a terminal window after
dialing and login normally everything works fine, if I disable the terminal
window nothing to use the name and password in the dial-up networking box
happens.  Nothing about the connection is logged in /usr/adm/debug and
according to the windows logs it's sending packets but the linux box never
responds.  Logging in normally verifies these logs are working, it's almost
like the pap connection never happened!  It's a slakware 96 box and these
are some of the settings...

/ETC/PPP/OPTIONS
debug
login
auth             (I've also tried without auth which allows me to
modem             login normally.  I've also tried +pap in here)
passive
crtscts
-detach

/ETC/PPP/PAP-SECRETS
*       *       ""      *

/ETC/PPP/IP-UP
#!/bin/bash
/sbin/arp -s $5 00:40:33:41:1f:c2 pub

SAMPLE FROM /ETC/INITTAB
s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/lmgetty -D -s 38400 /dev/ttyS0

Can anyone spot the missing piece?  This is driving me mad!  Not sure if
lmgetty has anything to do with it as it doesn't seem to have a man page.

Regards,
--Steve

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:13:48 +0000
From: Tom Reinertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nt & linux

==============8C54E484F569B243BA1C12CC

Duncan,

> If you want to use the NT passwords for logins then PAM has a module
> which will speak SMB password verification to a server.

Would you care to elaborate on this a little?  I've got my Linux box
setup as a Samba server (v2.0.0) and my W95 machines can access it just
fine.  My NT box can't however, and I'm at a loss to figure out why.
The DIAGNOSIS.txt that comes with 2.0.0 lists 10 tests to perform and NT
fails on test 5 (nmblookup -B aclient '*').  The diagnosis for this is:
client software not started (it is); or the name of the PC is wrong
(it's not); so now I'm wondering if PAM may be the culprit.

FWIW, the W95 machines *can* access the NT box.

TIA

Tom

==============8C54E484F569B243BA1C12CC

Duncan,
<pre>If you want to use the NT passwords for logins then PAM has a module
which will speak SMB password verification to a server.</pre>
Would you care to elaborate on this a little?&nbsp; I've got my Linux box
setup as a Samba server (v2.0.0) and my W95 machines can access it just
fine.&nbsp; My NT box can't however, and I'm at a loss to figure out why.&nbsp;
The DIAGNOSIS.txt that comes with 2.0.0 lists 10 tests to perform and NT
fails on test 5 (nmblookup -B aclient '*').&nbsp; The diagnosis for this

From: Christoph Gaitzsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems to set up router
Date: 27 Jan 1999 17:02:14 +0100

Hi all,
I'm running int difficulties settung up a router with RedHat 5.1
Alpha.

The router is equipped with a 3Com900 10BaseT Card (eth0) connected to
the outside world, and a 3Com905b-tx (eth1) connected to a 192.168.0.0 -
Network. Here's the ifconfig-output:

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:7168  Metric:1
          RX packets:178 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:178 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:5A:BD:6C:4D
          inet addr:137.226.74.251  Bcast:137.226.74.255  Mask:255.255.255.192
          RX packets:16636 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:183 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          Interrupt:17 Base address:0x8800

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:5A:D0:11:D9
          inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          Interrupt:16 Base address:0x9000

The routing table:

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
137.226.74.192  0.0.0.0         255.255.255.192 U     0      0        7 eth0
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        1 eth1
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        4 lo
0.0.0.0         137.226.74.193  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        4 eth0

So, any packet for e.g. 192.168.0.4 should go through eth1, any other
(except localhost) through the default-gateway (eth0).

The Problem is, that I can't ping to 192.168.0.x. The arp-command
shows me an incomplete hardware-address for the ping'd 192.168.0.x -
host. Anyone knows what to do?

Greetings, Christoph

------------------------------

From: Viljo Marrandi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Network at home, please help....
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:21:23 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Hello everyone, Yesterday, I downloaded Red Hat 5.2 Mandrake (Red Hat +
> KDE) from ftp.linuxberg.com (Toronto FTP :-0) and damn it rocked, my
> connection was anywhere from 80 kBytes to 112 kBytes. Secondly, I would
> like to connect the following:
>
> - Ibm Aptiva (has HSE now, running Windows98)
> - Fujitsu Lifebook 735DX (pcmcia ethernet card [getting one soon],
> running Red Hat 5.2)
> - Intel PII 450 (running both Win98 and Red Hat 5.2)
>
> I was just wondering, how would I go about connecting all these comps to
>
> Sympatico HSE (ADSL). I know I need a hub, but what exactly would I
> require to accomplish this task.

This is not difficult at all...Yes, this is true that you need a hub. I've
seen DLink's "Hubby", which has about 5 ports. Although you need at least 3
patch cables (Twisted Pair) to connect computers to the hubby. There is
another chance (if you don't use 100 Mbps ethernet cards), using a coaxial
cable, which is cheaper i guess...

Software you need to install is:
   1.  NFS for Linux to share resouces with other Linux machines
   2. Samba for Linux to share printers and files with WIN95/98
   3. For Windows you use TCP/IP and NETBios protocols to talk with Linux
and to get RedHat see Windows shares.

Setting up NFS and Samba is easy, you must read it from their documentation.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: trouble with ppp and PAP
Date: 27 Jan 1999 09:44:03 -0600

Jonas ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi

: My ISP have switched to using PAP (I think) and  now I'm trying to connect
: using the this 'new' system. I've enabled PAP in the file /etc/ppp/options
: and added my userid and password to the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

: Jan 27 15:35:28 spock pppd[488]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <mru 1500> <auth

You are requiring the ISP to authenticate itself to you.  Remove the pppd
option "+pap" and, if present, "auth".

--
Clifford Kite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* The signal-to-noise ratio is too low in many [news] groups to make

------------------------------

From: David Efflandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: having trouble configuring mgetty
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 03:17:37 GMT

On 1/25/99, 12:44:38 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daddy Rabbit)=20
wrote regarding having trouble configuring mgetty:

> I'm having all kinds of problems trying to configure mgetty. I sure
> could use some help.

> System:
>       466DX2 66
>       32MB Ram
>       RedHat 5.2
>       USR 56k - Sportster
>       mgetty-1.1.14 (installed using xwindows from RedHat CD)

> Depending in the setting of inittab I keep getting:
> INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

> According to the manual re-initializing inittab should cure the
> problem. It doesn't.

> I included the following files to help in diagnosing the problem.

> Results of mgetty.log.tty2
> --
> 01/25 12:12:38 ty2  tio_get_rs232_lines: TIOCMGET failed: Invalid
> argument
> 01/25 12:12:38 ty2  TIOCMBIC failed: Invalid argument
> 01/25 12:12:38 ty2  cannot turn off soft carrier: Invalid argument
> 01/25 12:13:01 ty2  timeout in chat script, waiting for `OK'
> 01/25 12:13:01 ty2  init chat timed out, trying force-init-chat
> 01/25 12:13:25 ty2  timeout in chat script, waiting for `OK'
> 01/25 12:13:25 ty2  init chat failed, exiting...: Interrupted system
> call
> 01/25 12:13:25 ##### failed in mg_init_data, dev=3Dtty2, pid=3D356

Here's a clue, tty2 is a virtual terminal, ttyS2 is a com port (COM3).=20
 I doubt if a vt responds to chat.  Also make sure that any other=20
programs using that modem, use that device and NOT /dev/modem (to=20
avoid lock file problems).

> inittab (non-applicable lines were purged for clarity)

> # Run gettys in standard runlevels
> 1:12345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
> 2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -m "" atz -s 19200 -x 3 tty2
> 3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
> 4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
> 5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
> 6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

Configure mgetty options in /etc/mgetty+sendfax and shuffle this to=20
the following:

1:12345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6
S2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS2

See dialin.txt @ http://www.xnet.com/~efflandt/linux/

------------------------------

From: "David Francis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: No Telnet, No FTP, No Samba
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:49:04 -0500

Hello...

I've just setup a small home LAN with private IP addresses.

RH5.2 = 192.168.0.1
Win98 = 192.168.0.2

I *can* ping from each box to each box. I *can* get RH5.2 HTTP services from
Win 98 using http://192.168.0.1

My problem is, I can't telnet or FTP... in both operations it seems to find
the machine, but no login prompts are ever issued.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...David

------------------------------

From: wlg15562 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISP Proxy
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:52:12 -0600

Help, Please!

    I am running RedHAt 5.2 and I am trying to connect to my ISP which
has a firewall of "proxy.iolusa.com".  I get connected, and get assigned
a dynamic ip address, but even though I ping the proxy server an get its
ip for netscape for the proxy info I cannot reach anything and when I
try to ping any good address outside the ISP network I get a network
unreachable error.  Again I get connected successfully, but I cannot go
anywhere.  Netscape tells me that my proxy is unreachable also.  Works
fine in Win95 and NT 4.0.  Help Please!

                                                Thanks,

                                                Leroy

--
________________________

God LOVES YOU!
Let Him!

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up ISP and need help....
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:02:13 +0100

Windows 98 can't run DNS (standardly), so I would "UPGRADE" it to either Linux
or NT with a third party DNS server. What I don't get is why you have a
terminal server, since a terminal server translates LAT, Telnet and SNA in to
RS232 so that terminal can connect to the network via the terminal server.
I think you are mistaking with a AccessBuilder from 3COM, or a xxx from Ascend
(dunno the name right now).
The later can connect via a v36 connector to a router the router than connects
over any connection typ to the backbone depending on your network module.

When I have a look on your configuration, than I might conclude that you really
don't know much about ISP-ing (with all respect). Since 1 server to run WWW,
SMTP, POP3, DNS and probably news, is just nuts. If 1 disk fails all your
services fail. Besides you don't need a big Pentium for a webserver, a P200
will do with out a doubt. You shouldn't use IDE drives, since they create alot
of load on your CPU unlike SCSI. The amount of memory for a webserver is about
25% of all websites. So 256 MB is more than enough.

I would invest my money in a few smaller servers depending on the load. (News
is pretty heavy on your servers). I would use an Alpha with UltraWIde SCSI for
news.And setup a seperate server for SMTP and a srperate smaller server for
POP3. Or setup pone server for both SMTP and POP3 depending on the SMTP and
POP3 traffic

Raymond

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: Dial-Up Server
Date: 27 Jan 1999 10:45:30 -0600

Maddog ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Charles Stack wrote:

: > This topic comes up several times a week.  Search this newsgroup for an
: > entry by Josh Gentry and you should find a link to a document he has written
: > a detailed document describing how to stetup a dialin server (using a
: > modem).

: I searched the newsgroup and found no info.. if any one has the link could you
: please pass it on?

Hmmm..  That's strange, I just searched the usenet section of
http://www.altavista.com with "Josh Gentry" and found many posts by him.

--
Clifford Kite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* Better is the enemy of good enough. */