Linux-Networking Digest #475, Volume #10         Fri, 12 Mar 99 21:13:35 EST

Contents:
  Re: 3c509 & ne2000 conflict ("H.G.Williams")
  Re: Modem setup problems - no DTR except in MINICOM (Colin)
  Re: diald and first packet lost [Re: Invoke diald automatically] ("William Grinolds")
  Re: ppp problem (Mette-Francois Christiansen-Lauze)
  Re: DANGER! newbie attempting networking... (Don Baccus)
  Re: V.90 ISA Modems!?!?! (Colin)
  Re: Second NIC installs and then gets transmit error (Michael John Erskine)
  How to start ftpd after ftpshut? (Abe Lin)
  Software RAID like network filesystem?
  tunnel http requests (TROESTLER Christophe)
  Seeking experinced Linux networking developer (epadin)
  dialup-networking server ("Jean-Réginald Louis")
  Samba problem need help (john xu)
  NE2K-PCI / winbond W89C840F question ("KILL!WIN")
  Re: supra modem (Miguel Cruz)
  Platypus Web Server (Nick Webb)
  Re: Any  Masquerading Guru's out there? (Don Baccus)
  Re: dhcpcd fails to lease IP address ("Edward Lee Ah Yen (AKA SMASH)")
  Modem Blues (Darrell Lawson)
  Re: help!!! with win98 ("Michael D. Cencula")
  RE:Network Newbie Question ("H.G.Williams")
  Web based e-mail client for Linux ("Michael T. Spears")
  Re: ppp problem (Mette-Francois Christiansen-Lauze)
  Cannot FTP to any other computers (Dennis)
  IP Alias Acting Funny (Tom Reinertson)
  Re: Samba problem need help (Eugene Strulyov)
  Re: Linux and Apache die under load ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Samba problem need help (David Kirkpatrick)

From: "H.G.Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3c509 & ne2000 conflict
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:43:11 -0600

Mike, try setting the NE2000 on IRQ 3 and port 0x280, and see what
happens. Remember, you may have to boot into DOS to reconfigure that
card. And, change the lilo.conf to reflect the change to the NE20000.

------------------------------

From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Modem setup problems - no DTR except in MINICOM
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:02:15 -0500

Deus wrote:

> However, I still can't logon to my ISP.  It dials and connects, but I never
> get a logon prompt in MINICOM, so I imagine the script in the network
> configurator isn't going through either.  Tonight I'll try the SLIP
> connection.

Did you see anything appear on the screen?  Did you hit the Enter key after
the connection was established?
--
Reply to "cwv [at] idirect (dot) com"

------------------------------

From: "William Grinolds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: diald and first packet lost [Re: Invoke diald automatically]
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:22:25 -0600

Yup - activated it as you described.  Now, sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't - more often not.  I've even gone as far as upgrading the kernel to
2.2.3 and diald to 0.98.2 with same results.  <scratching head>

Bill

Andre Dietisheim wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Did you add
>
>echo 7 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr
>
>to your boot-sequence in order to activate the patch???
>
>p.s. the patch is necessar (if you didn't read the manuals) on boxes
>that have dynamically assigned IP-Adresses (tipically a box with
>dialout to an ISP) on the ppp*. The reason is that you have your pppd
>(or diald) running on a fake IP as long as it didn't dial to the ISP.
>The first packet that is sent out to the ISP has still that fake IP as
>return address. That's where the patch gets it's effect: It provokes a
>RESET on both sockets (box's socket and destination socket) and
>reinitialisation.
>

>On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:08:12 -0600, "William Grinolds"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>FYI - This patch (at the first URL you gave) is for the 2.0.33 kernel;
later
>>kernels already have this patch applied.
>>
>>However, on my system (2.0.35), it's still losing the very first packet
when
>>a client tries to send something.  But if the client sends more packets
>>between the time the first one is sent and the time the link is up, those
>>packets get correctly rewritten and are sent off just fine.  It's still
that
>>very first packet that causes the link to come up that isn't rewritten.
Any

------------------------------

From: Mette-Francois Christiansen-Lauze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,dk.edb.unix,redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: ppp problem
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 21:43:05 +0000

Hi!,

It works fine now :)
If it can help someone,  here is what I did:
I modified the dialer script /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer:
#!/bin/sh
#
# This is part 2 of the ppp-on script. It will perform the connection
# protocol for the desired connection.
#
exec /usr/sbin/chat -v                                  \
        TIMEOUT         3                               \
        ABORT           '\nBUSY\r'                      \
        ABORT           '\nNO ANSWER\r'                 \
        ABORT           '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r'    \
        ''              ATZ                             \
        'OK-+++\c-OK'   ATH0                            \
        TIMEOUT         60                              \
        OK              'ATDT'$TELEPHONE                \
        CONNECT         ''

and the gave to pppd the following arguments
exec /usr/sbin/pppd -d debug  lock modem crtscts /dev/modem 115200 \
    defaultroute name $ACCOUNT remotename ppp0 ipparam ppp0 \
    connect $DIALER_SCRIPT
same kind of things with xisp. I will also try other softwares.
I guess I'm a bit less illiterate now:)
Thanks for all the usefull suggestions.
Tak for hjælpen

Francois.

======================
So, what about moving Denmark to Caribbean?

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: DANGER! newbie attempting networking...
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Baccus)
Date: 12 Mar 1999 16:40:04 PST

In article <7cc4ol$5ja4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Tony J Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I want to use SAMBA from Linux and (hopefully) transfer some files that I
>downloaded onto my Windows partition into my Linux box, over the network. If
>anybody has any other suggested ways, then let me know.

You could look into WinGate.  It's essentially a proxy
server for Windows and once upon a time about three years
ago I set it up for a local conservation group's Windows
network and it seemed to work OK.  It didn't make the
Win95 box it ran on crash any more often than normal.

It was a simple, little program then.  I checked out the
website recently (I forget what it is, use a search engine)
and it seems to have grown into a monster, i.e. a full-blown
firewall type piece of code.   I say "monster" because using
Win95/98 as a configurable firewall rather than simply using
Wingate to hook up a handful of PCs to the net over one phone
line seems like a monstrous sin :)

Back then, you could use it for two machines (one as
the gateway, the other talking through it) for free,
though now that it's "grown up" this may not be true.

It works with any TCP/IP network, AFAIK.

Still...I have a Win98 PC, a Win95 laptop, and a
Linux box, and I'm NOT using WinGate to access
the internet via my DSL service.

I'm using the Linux box for that, because I know
it's reliable.

So ... get a proper modem for your Linux box and
due it right ASAP. :)

>. Any help would be appreciated. Also, just a small question: I'm a
>teenager, I was wondering how old the rest of the people in these newsgroups
>are. Thanks in advance for any help that you might give me!

I'm 45, but I got hooked on computers at the age of
15 (PDP 8/S, any one else here ever use one?), my
first pseudo-compiler (OMSI Basic for the PDP-8) was
being used by paying customers when I was 17, and I
first used Unix when I was 20.

Now I freelance nature photography :) (and work
part-time as a compiler engineer and still love
computers, I just love lots of other things, too,
so am a semi-dropout from the industry).

Anyway, I only point out the stuff I did when I
was a kid to make it clear that it's not how old
(or young) you are, it's what you know and how
hard you're willing to work.
--

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: V.90 ISA Modems!?!?!
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:07:37 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am using an AOpen FM56-ITU (isa) modem with RedHat5.2.  This was the
>  easiest thing to setup.  All I had to do was set the jumper to com2
>  and tell Linux where it was.  Before that I had a Gateway Telepath II
>  28.8 which also worked great and was just as easy to install.
>   Btw...I am using gnus to read my news these days.  It seems to be
>  just as good as Agent is in Windows and will be better once I get
>  it customized.

I use the exact same modem and I've had no problems with it.  My ISP on the
other hand...

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:46:13 +0000
From: Michael John Erskine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Second NIC installs and then gets transmit error

Don;
I am probably the last person you would want helping you on this and I
apologize for the stupid question in advance but did you assign a
different IP address to the second card...
-m-

--
Michael Erskine, Simply Computers!, Urbanna,  Virginia,  804-758-3798
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Abe Lin)
Subject: How to start ftpd after ftpshut?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 03:59:33 GMT

Hi, everybody,
This is a stupid question. I shutdown ftpd and
I'm not able to start it again even after reboot.
/etc/inetd.conf /etc/services unchanged so
should work like before.

Cannot find it anywhere in doc.

Abe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Software RAID like network filesystem?
Date: 12 Mar 1999 13:10:11 -0900

Has anyone seen a software controled RAID like network filesystem? I would
like to be able to use all of the free space we have sitting around here to
present a transparent networked drive.  Some of the filesystems that would
have to be used would be smb/nfs/ext2/fat and so on.  The idea being that I
could combine all of them and then reexport them to a ftp server or such

Any thoughts/help/pointers would be great

Justin Burket
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: TROESTLER Christophe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tunnel http requests
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:14:22 GMT

Hi everybody,

I have an account on a remote Unix machine which is in a network with
access to some local Web services.  I can launch a remote Netscape on my
X display but this is really SLOW.  I was thinking that maybe there is
some utility that I could use to route the http requests of my machine so
they appear like coming from the remote host (sort of "tunneling" them
through that host).  I guess that should produce a much more economic
traffic.  Anybody has any idea in that direction?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  (Please, forward a copy of your
message to [EMAIL PROTECTED])

Bye,
Chris

------------------------------

From: epadin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Seeking experinced Linux networking developer
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:51:08 GMT

Hello,

My company is need of the services of a Linux networking developer. We would
like to have someone write code for us that will allow us to do different
things with Linux networking (specifically client/server applications and
firewalling/routing applications). Does anyone know of any companies or
individuals that will do this work on a time-and-materials basis. i would
like to have someone to whom I can submit a program spec and have them write
something for me.

thanks.

From: "Jean-Réginald Louis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dialup-networking server
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:20:28 -0500

How can I allow a friend of mine to connect to my network via modem (and
give an ip address automatically) ? (like when we call an ISP)

------------------------------

From: john xu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Samba problem need help
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:43:06 -0600

All:
The samba server on my linux machine works fine. All of win95 client
can see shared drive and user account from window explore. However,
I have some trouble to make Win NT client to get in. The linux machine
appears on Win NT's network neighborhood but I can not get in. It says
linux does not allow user logon. I checked samba howto and all the
resources I can find but can not solve the problem.

Hope somebody can give me some seggestion.

Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED] so I won't miss you

Thanks

John

------------------------------

From: "KILL!WIN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NE2K-PCI / winbond W89C840F question
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 01:51:02 +0100

Hi ,

Is there a driver for the winbond W89C840F chip ?
Its stated its completely NE2K compatible and its a pci card , but the
NE2K-pci module doesn't seem to work.
I run slackware
kernel 2.2.3
anny help appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.modems.cable
Subject: Re: supra modem
Date: 13 Mar 1999 01:05:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have supra PCI modem ,when i enter enter the following
> how I can kown that my modem in not winmodem

Bad news: Almost all PCI modems are winmodems and thus not compatible with
Linux.

I've set follow-ups to comp.os.linux.networking, where they can help you
further.

miguel

------------------------------

From: Nick Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Platypus Web Server
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:59:56 -0700

Fellow Linux users:

Please check out Emmett High School's new RedHat powered web server (FTP
too).

HTTP:
http://206.80.125.121
FTP:
ftp://206.80.125.121

Me and a few fellow students made this site as a class project.  We are
trying
to provide a free public service.  Please check it out if you have time,
any
suggestions (such as file requests) would be helpful.  You may also
upload software which we or our users may find useful in the
ftp://206.80.125.121/upload directory, but please upload in moderation.

Thanks,
Nick Webb
Root User
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Any  Masquerading Guru's out there?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Baccus)
Date: 12 Mar 1999 17:11:24 PST

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, GSM  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Problem:  How does one setup IPchains to allow filtering and setting up
>of class C reserved names with IPchains ie I want to masquarade the
>clients on the internal lan ? I have a static IP for linux box/hub and a
>couple of clients on a small baseT LAN.

Read all about it, starting from the ip-masquerading resource
page:

http://www.tor.shaw.wave.ca/~ambrose/index.html

It includes information on configuring your linux firewall,
as well as Win95 etc clients (which is no different than
you would for any other network with a gateway at a fixed
IP).  I just set the primary and secondary DNS servers on
my windows boxes to be those of my ISP, and put names of
local boxes in the c:\windows\hosts file which is identical
to the /etc/hosts file on my linux box.  Set the gateway
on the clients to 192.168.1.1 and you're off and running,
once you get masquerading working with ip chains (which I
haven't looked into as I'm running 2.0.36 which uses
ipfwadm, however I'm sure the principal's the same).

--

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: "Edward Lee Ah Yen (AKA SMASH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dhcpcd fails to lease IP address
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 00:07:42 GMT

You "may" need to install dhcpcd-0.70-2.i386.rpm and type: "dhcpcd -h
"computer name".
I had to install this update because @Home uses the computer name
"CRxxxxxx-A" they assign to you for obtaining DHCP information/setup.

In RH 5.1 Control Panel, select Network Configuration, Names tab, type
in your computer name in the Hostname field, and your Nameservers.
Select Interfaces tab, highlight eth0, edit, change Interface
configuration protocol to dhcp. SAVE. Restart your network.
If you get a failed message don't worry about it.

Type dhcpcd -h "computer name" and wait a couple minutes, then type
"ifconfig". All interface should come up with IP addresses.
If it works and you want to avoid the "failed" messages
edit:/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup and
look for a line (105 for me)   /sbin/dhcpcd -c
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdhcpc-done ${DEVICE}
change it to                   /sbin.dhcpcd -h "computer name" -c
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts,...etc

Hope this helps

------------------------------

From: Darrell Lawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem Blues
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:24:51 -0500

Hello, I'm having a problem with a couple of modems.  The first I put in
my home system a few months ago.  I couldn't get it to work with my PPP
script, and even sending it "echo ATDT ####### > /dev/ttyS#" commands,
never got me very far.  The modem would kind of click, and then die.
But if I went into linuxconf and set it up, and told it to start from in
there, it worked fine.  I figured I probably didn't know what I was
doing and gave up.  Now I'm configuring my boss's pc to be a dial in
server for our network, and I'm getting the same thing.  The modem won't
work for me.  They both use standard Hayes commands, and the commands
work fine from DOS, but not Linux.  Can somebody please tell me why
these echo commands won't work, but linuxconf will?

Thanks

Darrell

------------------------------

From: "Michael D. Cencula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help!!! with win98
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:06:07 -0500

You need to have a user on your linux box that matches the user that is
trying to connect from the win98 box.  There is a utility, smbpasswd for
maintaining these users.  (At least there is on RedHat 5.2)

------------------------------

From: "H.G.Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE:Network Newbie Question
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:58:23 -0600

I failed to mention this question when I wrote the original message:

For the folks running RedHat v5.2, kernel 2.0.36, is there a file
somewhere on your system called "rc.inet"???? If so, did you create it
yourself? (Because the install process DID NOT create one for my
system!) What parameters should go in it?

How important is the routing table?

------------------------------

From: "Michael T. Spears" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Web based e-mail client for Linux
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:36:25 -0500

Does anyone know of a free Web based e-mail client for Linux?  I'm running
Apache, so something that works with Apache would be preferred.

Thanks,

------------------------------

From: Mette-Francois Christiansen-Lauze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,dk.edb.unix,redhat.networking.general
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 01:38:58 +0000

Bill Unruh wrote:

> >>                                             ^ What is this extra r
> >> in the command you are sending the modem?
>
> >it comes in the chat script (ppp-on-dialer)
>
> Well, get rid of it (or if you are attachece to it, put single quote
> marks around the \rAT. I have never been able to figure out why they put
> those \r all over the place in that script.
> It is the carriage return in the expect sequence, except tht script has
> them all ovr teh place in teh send sequences. Totally silly.
> Anyway, your modem does not understand rAT. No modem understands rAT.
> your modem refuses to answer such a silly command. Thus your chat script
> dies waiting for an OK from that command.

Yes, it's what I did, and it worked :-)
I replaced it by an initialisation command ATZ.
What I can't really understand is why, before
my #...&..!...?... #¤ isp decided to add PAP,
everything worked fine.
The good point is that I learned a few things
about modems...

Francois

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dennis)
Subject: Cannot FTP to any other computers
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 01:44:33 GMT

I recently redid my linux system when i installed redhat linux 5.2 and
now I cannot get it to ftp to any other computer (windows or unix)..
It will not even get to the username/password prompt.  Basically a
session looks like this:
  user@localhost> ftp metalab.unc.edu
  ftp: connect: Connection refused
  ftp>

I have no idea what could be causing this.. i have no problems
telnetting or web browsing anywhere else and there are no problems
connecting to my linux machine...

TIA,
Dennis

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:01:53 +0000
From: Tom Reinertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IP Alias Acting Funny

Linux's IP Alias feature has me stumped.  I've got a LAN with 2 hosts
and 1 Cisco bridge that gets me my DSL access.   I use dhcp to get each
host a unique IP address so each host can talk to my ISP.  To
communicate within the LAN, I assign each host a local  IP address using
IP Aliasing.  This has worked fine in the past and allowed me to use NFS
to share files and applications between systems.

Lately NFS became very slow and at times won't connect at all.
Specifically, Host A can ping Host B but turnaround time will be 1000ms
for about 50 pings and then suddenly drops to the usual 0.6ms and stays
there.  Host B is able to ping Host A but has turnaround times of nearly
600ms  Futhermore B can ping A only when A is concurrently pinging B.
If A stops pinging B, then B can no longer ping A.

I originally suspected a hardware error, but both hosts can ping IP
addresses outside the LAN with no problem.  Am I losing my mind or is
something screwy here?

Sure would appreciate some pointers on where to look.

TIA

Tom

------------------------------

From: Eugene Strulyov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Samba problem need help
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 01:19:08 GMT

try upgrading samba to the latest version
You can download it from www.samba.org or from your distributor's ftp

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux and Apache die under load
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 01:07:24 GMT

In article <7cbs2t$uiq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My system is set to the maximum allowable file handles (without a kernel
> hack). I seriously doubt that that is the problem.  One of those three
> programs (Postgres, PHP, or Apache) is not closing it's files properly.  What
> I need is a way to tell which of those three have the files open.  My system
> doesn't get hit enough to have truely run out of file handles.

I've run Apache and PHP on boxes that *do* get hit enough to truely run out
of file handles, and given the amount of traffic it usually takes to kill
either of those two, I'd place the blame on Postgres.

On my FreeBSD box, I run the command `fstat` to see what processes have what
files open.  Linux doesn't seem to have anything by that name in the RedHat
distribution.  It's a member of the `vmstat`, `netstat`, `systat` family,
there's probably a port somewhere.

Try searching google for it (http://www.google.com).

-Bill Clark

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:44:21 +0000

Might be the encryption, yes works for NT.  Are all your MS machines on
the same network and the 95 machines can login but the NT machines
cannot?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]